Minnesota Fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Fans...

Minnesota fans, not the best behaved fans...I attended the women's NCAA final with a friend. When we arrived, there was a long line for tickets. I was nervous the event might be sold out but after 15 minutes in line we got our tickets. After we got our tickets, the ticket line was even longer so I expected the arena would be close to selling out. When we got to our seats, someone was in them so they jumped in the row behind us. Before they moved, the guy said to me "you couldn't just find two other seats to sit in?". I informed him that there was a long line of people still to come in and that it may be close to selling out. It turns out we were in the Minnesota fan section. And it also appeared that we were sitting among the parents of the Minnesota players. After the 2nd period ended, my friend and I left our seats. We returned 2 minutes after the 3rd period started. The same guy was in our seats again. So when we returned, there was a problem. The man's wife snipped at us and said "you can't just find 2 other seats to sit in? You have to sit here???" She was ****ed at US!! The man jumped into the row behind us again. I replied with "why are you ****ed at ME??" I didn't realize they were a family that wanted to sit together. So then I added, "why don't you just ask us to swap seats?" I offered to let them take our seats and we would sit in their seats. As I was saying this, I started to step into the row behind us, but the man said that it was fine and told me to just stay there. Then the wife jumps in again and says to her husband "don't be nice, sit in their seats". But the husband refused and I sat back in my seat. Now the knuckle-head in the row in front of me is turned around and giving me the death stare, telling me that I don't need to be sitting there and then accuses ME of smart-talking. My friend is a UNH alumni (1984) and this is the treatment he gets from these out-of-towners after returning to HIS home arena.

Re: Minnesota Fans...

They just should have kindly told you their predicament and then at some point you could have come to a amicable agreement, once it was apparent there were other seats you could sit in to accommodate them and not get you booted from seat to seat. Obviously the ramifications to this game were huge, so I think they were anxious to say the least. But that doesn't mean you can't be a nice person.

Sometimes the team parents, especially the moms, can get a little testy. I've had opposing fan moms make snide comments at me or throw candy wrappers at me, but I just keep rooting UW on. Of course I choose to sit right behind the opposing team's bench, so I'm kinda trying to stir the pot a little anyway.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Yes, agreed. I gladly would have accommodated them. In fact I did say this to them and I made the offer.

I was fuming when I left the arena and I thought the only recourse is to expose their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by mpUML View Post
        Yes, agreed. I gladly would have accommodated them. In fact I did say this to them and I made the offer.

I was fuming when I left the arena and I thought the only recourse is to expose their fans.
        Not to make ridiculous generalizations or anything.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

There's some in every fan base....life goes on....how did you enjoy the game?

Comment

Yes, I know.

Very good game. Exciting up and down hockey.

Comment

As a Minnesota fan I do not want to apologize for another's bad behavior, but we are not all like that.

For four years there has been a ND woman relative of one of their players who has stood behind our seats at Ridder and screamed in the loudest, highest shrill imaginable constantly throughout the game. At this years series at Ridder with ND after screaming "Go get the puck" for at least the 50th time in a row my wife turned to her and said politely, "but we already have the puck." She then started screaming, "Go get the puck North Dakota." Hey, I scream too, but there is a time to give it a rest. I'm glad their goalie is graduating and not just because she's so good.

When we have visited other arenas we have almost always had good experiences with opposing fans. This years trip to Columbus their fans could not have been more friendly or helpful. In 2013 when we were in Madison, after the Gophers had just defeated the Badgers for the second time the wife of the couple next to us asked if we were heading back to St Paul. We replied we were a little bit later and she said to be very careful driving because the roads were suppose to get slippery later on.

If the Gophers get to St Charles next year we plan on being there and I guarantee you we will sit in our assigned seats and not in someone else's.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

FWIW, talking with the fans from other schools this weekend was a highlight for me.....I know how we here at Lake Whitt feel about hockey and the sport but getting to hear from the other team parents and fans was great! The enthusiasm they all had was contagious....When BC scored in OT, or when Minne scored their 3rd, the faces on the Clarkson/BC parents faces was painful once the writing was on the wall....and as is the case no matter your Alma Mater, enjoy the 4 years, for they more than fly by!

Comment

Hmmmm...interesting version. I observed part of the interaction (where you returned back to your seats during the third period) and that is not what I observed (I was shooting pictures above you). I observed MPUML coming in 3-5 minutes into the 3rd period and stating (in a snide tone) "HM - looks like you really like those seats, don't you?" I was kind of shocked - my first thought was "Wow, even if they are in his seat, he could have been a bit less confrontational." The stadium was clearly NOT FULL and there were numerous seats in rows around you. Looked to me like you were just trying to pick a fight. In addition, Boston Fans ACTUALLY BOO'D many of the Gopher players parents when then entered a bar in town and as they entered the arena WITHOUT ANY PROVOCATION. I observed some of the WORST behavior I have ever seen at a Women's College game - FANS pounding on the glass (at WHICH point the UNH stadium crew had to tell the guy to "knock it off." Not to mention his kids who were BOOING the Gopher Band and making snide comments I would have been embarrassed as a parent to hear. The photographer next to me even made statements about the BC fan (and kid) behavior.

So - BEFORE you go throwing stones at others.....you might want to consider your own (and your own fans) behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by CANative View Post
                    I observed some of the WORST behavior I have ever seen at a Women's College game - FANS pounding on the glass (at WHICH point the UNH stadium crew had to tell the guy to "knock it off."
                    You shouldn't pound on the glass at a hockey game?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      I think it's fine when you're a college kid. If somebody is 30 and still pounding on the glass and hollering at college kids ... maybe not.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Slamming himself on the glass might be a better description. It was two panels down and the photographer I was shooting next to (and me) had ours LENSES on the glass (a common technique when there are no cutouts from which to shoot) Obviously NOT OKAY with the stadium crew who yelled at him IMMEDIATELY - and I mean YELLED. In addition, it was for an offsides call.....REALLY????? Pounding on the glass BIG TIME for an offsides?? Great example for his two young sons sitting next to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          At Ridder Arena, it is specifically mentioned in the pregame announcements that banging on the glass is not allowed.
                          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Really?? When we returned to our seats (2-3 minutes into the period because we were waiting for a whistle at the top of the stairs), I did say "You really like these seats huh?" and I said it as a joke and I was smiling. It was not confrontational. There was no tone. And I was not looking for a fight. I (we) did not deserve the crap we got from those people.

All he had to say was, "do you mind if I sit here, with my family? (I think it was his family) and you guys can sit in the row behind?", I gladly would have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by mpUML View Post
                              Really?? When we returned to our seats (2-3 minutes into the period because we were waiting for a whistle at the top of the stairs), I did say "You really like these seats huh?" and I said it as a joke and I was smiling. It was not confrontational. There was no tone. And I was not looking for a fight. I (we) did not deserve the crap we got from those people.

All he had to say was, "do you mind if I sit here, with my family? (I think it was his family) and you guys can sit in the row behind?", I gladly would have done that.
                              I'm sorry you felt you were treated poorly by whoever's fans. But to start a thread about it is it a bit overdramatic and ridiculous, don't you think? Next, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X