Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Okay, so who all have we bandied about here as a candidate?

George Gwozdecky (HC, Valor Christian High School... no, not kidding)
    Mark Johnson (HC, UW Women's Team)
    Don Granato (HC, USNTDP U-17 Team)
    Tony Granato (AC, Detroit Red Wings)
    Mark Osiecki (AC, Rockford Icehogs)
    Tim Coughlin (HC, St. Norbert)
    Luke Strand (AC, UW Men's Team)
    Steve Rohlik (HC, Ohio State)
    Mike Hastings (HC, Minnesota State)
    Rand Pecknold (HC, Quinnipiac)
    Rick Bennett (HC, Union)
    Nate Leaman (HC, Providence)

Who am I missing?
    Chris Chelios -ac with detroit😈
    Last edited by solovsfett; 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
      The best candidate for the HC position mentioned so far is Mike Hastings from Mankato who has the history and background of turning things around and building programs. He has the ability to identify the right players he needs, and get many of them, despite the competition from the bigger name schools. The problem is getting him out of Mankato, the offer would have to be pretty darn good. If he isn't on the shortlist something is very wrong. Sometimes an outsiders perspective is exactly what is needed to make that transition. If he got the job I would venture a guess he would bring some good recruits with him that would help right away, and he would wait to see how the young 98-99 commits develop rather than bringing them in early. I bet other Big 10 HCs hope it isn't going to be Hastings.
      Absolutely the best, on ice and off the ice. Reasons I don't think he'd leave - Reasonably well paid, just under $300,000. Minnesota guy, comfortable in the area. I've heard his daughter is coming to school in the fall to play softball. Reason he might be interested- Can he accomplish a whole lot more at MSUM? At Wisconsin, he would have a shot at the NTDP level guys, the Besse types, the playmakers who can win a game by themselves.

For selfish reasons, I want to see Coach Hastings stay, but a large school offer would be hard to resist

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
        Absolutely the best, on ice and off the ice. Reasons I don't think he'd leave - Reasonably well paid, just under $300,000. Minnesota guy, comfortable in the area. I've heard his daughter is coming to school in the fall to play softball. Reason he might be interested- Can he accomplish a whole lot more at MSUM? At Wisconsin, he would have a shot at the NTDP level guys, the Besse types, the playmakers who can win a game by themselves.

For selfish reasons, I want to see Coach Hastings stay, but a large school offer would be hard to resist
        Yes yes yes. I think he would be a great choice and have been touting him for the last 2 years. He's at the top of my list. Plus being a Minnesota guy only helps in recruiting there which is a necessity.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

The best candidate for the HC position mentioned so far is Mike Hastings from Mankato who has the history and background of turning things around and building programs. He has the ability to identify the right players he needs, and get many of them, despite the competition from the bigger name schools. The problem is getting him out of Mankato, the offer would have to be pretty darn good. If he isn't on the shortlist something is very wrong. Sometimes an outsiders perspective is exactly what is needed to make that transition. If he got the job I would venture a guess he would bring some good recruits with him that would help right away, and he would wait to see how the young 98-99 commits develop rather than bringing them in early. I bet other Big 10 HCs hope it isn't going to be Hastings.
          If you're going to put Hastings out there, then Bowling Green's Chris Bergeron could be in the mix as well. He took a program that was all but dead and has risen it to contender status
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            Plus being a Minnesota guy only helps in recruiting there which is a necessity.
            Yes, although it'd be great to see whomever the new coach is to become more successful in recruiting local/legacy blue-chip kids.

I remember seeing the All-Decommit team and wondering what it would look like with local/legacy whiffs.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              At Wisconsin, he would have a shot at the NTDP level guys, the Besse types, the playmakers who can win a game by themselves.
              But what would he do with them?

Zach Stepan put up 78 points in 56gp for Waterloo, was a member of the World Junior team, and after a decent freshman year (21 pts) has 9g 16a in 68 games played in his combined Sophomore and Junior seasons. Maybe that's all on Zach, but it's not the kind of development that makes me want to send my superstar kid to him.

In his 4th year (with more of his own recruits playing) outside of beating the dysfunctional Gophers 2 out of 3 early in the year, MSU was not very good. 13 wins vs. #'s 45, 51, 53, and 56 in PWR; 3-1 vs. Bemidji; (Not Bad) 3 wins in 11 games against BG, NMU and Ferris. (1 against each) Not a lot to be excited about there.

Hastings has obviously done well in the past and is very well regarded. I just question whether he is a good fit at Wisconsin.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Yes, although it'd be great to see whomever the new coach is to become more successful in recruiting local/legacy blue-chip kids.

I remember seeing the All-Decommit team and wondering what it would look like with local/legacy whiffs.
                Don't get me wrong, I would like to land those guys to, but having some Minnesota ties wouldn't hurt....
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

If you're looking to poach a good coach from the MN State system, is there a reason Motzko's name has not come up? He has ties to St. Cloud, but he's got to be the best coach in the West who is not already at a traditional power. Why leave his fantastic program? Money, prestige, the challenge, the chance to win an easy league regularly.

Comment

Once upon a time, Rico Blasi's name was pretty popular around this board. I admit I haven't really paid any attention to Miami (and I doubt he's being considered), but is he just not as good as some believed?

Comment

He has a particular type of mix he likes, which includes the right mixture of Besse/Kunin types, as long as they aren't primadonnas, play balls out, and are team guys. He mixes that with hard working not quite as skilled guys that know exactly what their role is and he has them take pride in it. That is what the Badgers need.

Comment

He has a particular type of mix he likes, which includes the right mixture of Besse/Kunin types, as long as they aren't primadonnas, play balls out, and are team guys. He mixes that with hard working not quite as skilled guys that know exactly what their role is and he has them take pride in it. That is what the Badgers need.
                        Motzko or Blasi?

Comment

I never have quite understood what "a good fit" means. In my mind a "good fit", at least in hockey is someone that wins games. What does a hockey coach need to be able to "fit"?

Comment

Sure...consider them all...but pick the one most likely to get the job done!

Comment

I haven't heard Fred Harbinson's name mentioned. Anyone know if someone like that from Canada major juniors and has wisconsin ties? His teams at Penticton have been great, but don't know much about him other than what I learned here.

Comment

Did you notice this?

"However, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled."
                                "To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. CDT, March 25, 2016. However, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled."

That is a total contradiction. You must get your app in by 3/25, but you can still send one on after 3/25. How stupid.

Blasi has cooled to me simply because Miami has cooled off the last 2 years.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X