Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
    Shouldn't we have seen an announcement by now of the spring signees? Maybe they're waiting for the whole coaching staff to be on campus?
    Who was it that officially signed in the fall window?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Who was it that officially signed in the fall window?
      5 guys: Labosky, Sundberg, Zimmer, Stillwell, and Astren

Comment

Okay... I'm happy that they did a TV spot and that they're trying, but...

The "Old Friend" spot is pretty cheesy and sappy to begin with and now I'm seeing it 3 or 4 times every time I watch an NHL game.

It doesn't make me excited for Badger Hockey. It's boring. All 3 coaches have a completely flat affect delivery.

If they were going to do this size of a buy, both in weeks purchased and frequency, they should have something like the game opening video that pumps people up in addition to the sappy one.

Probably needed to rotate 3 spots.

Again... happy they're bothering, but they have a freaking AV department. Would have taken a morning to crank out two more spots.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it during games here of course, but the spot is the kind that definitely loses it's mojo on repeat.

Not only do they have an AV dept. but how many students are in marketing classes? I often think that institutions like UW way under utilize students. It seems to me working on a class project like coming up with a campaign for the real world would be an invaluable learning experience and would also probably result in some awesome marketing ideas. Not to mention UW's cost savings from the free labor of indentured students.

But in any case, spending that kind of $$ without a cohesive and imaginative campaign in mind is the sort of partial measure that tends to separate winners and losers in the business world, but is pretty SOP in the world of academia in my experience.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Yeah... it's particularly irksome to me as marketing and advertising is what I do and I know how easy it would have been to really nail it.

Give me the budget (which probably wasn't all that much) that they used and I would have crushed it.

As you say, students would have been a great resource although you have to remember that your target audience is likely adults 35-65, so you'd have to have some overall creative direction from an old(er) fart.

Comment

And back to the spot, you can actually direct the on camera "talent."

Get them to be a little more excited and sell the program.

Comment

Let's keep a few things in mind with the commercial (and the Marketing exposure in general)

UW HOCKEY IS BUYING PRIME TIME ADVERTISING!!! Be happy and excited and quit looking for something about it to find fault in!

OK, now that I have that out of my system...let's get into the usual "KaMiGo being KaMiGo" part of the day:
                How much lead time do you think the Marketing Department had to put all of the bits and pieces together for this coaching announcement? 1 week, maybe 2?

So in that 1-2 week window they had to get the website up and running (get all of the content for the website put together, get all of the little videos from former players/coaches made up, get all of the graphics put together, get everything else ready), get all of the videos shot, get all of the still pictures shot, get all of the media items lined up, schedule and execute a press conference (with handouts)...
                I figure that they had the coaches in town for 2-3 days, max. And the coaches were still in the middle of all of their coaching responsibilities and were flying into Madison for this event and then flying immediately back out. I think it was pretty amazing that they were able to get what they did in that short time frame.

Also, given the abbreviated schedule that they were working under, I doubt that there would have been an opportunity to jump into a marketing class and say "Hi, we'd like to completely take over your class for the next week for this urgent Athletic Department project."

To me it is absurd to think that the Marketing Department could have done much more than what they did, but there will always be people who expect more and complain when they don't get it. And now people come along and complain about the coaches not "acting" enough in the TV spots? They are hockey coaches, not usually a demographic known for their warm and fuzzy on-screen personalities.

Come on everyone...it is a great time to be a Badger Hockey fan, quit looking for the little things to pick apart and enjoy the ride.

OK, you can tell me how off base I am now and how much of a disgrace I am and how I should pack up my roots and follow my second cousin Mike wherever he may land and continue my underground media campaign on his behalf with his new team.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                  Let's keep a few things in mind with the commercial (and the Marketing exposure in general)

UW HOCKEY IS BUYING PRIME TIME ADVERTISING!!! Be happy and excited and quit looking for something about it to find fault in!

OK, now that I have that out of my system...let's get into the usual "KaMiGo being KaMiGo" part of the day:
                  How much lead time do you think the Marketing Department had to put all of the bits and pieces together for this coaching announcement? 1 week, maybe 2?

So in that 1-2 week window they had to get the website up and running (get all of the content for the website put together, get all of the little videos from former players/coaches made up, get all of the graphics put together, get everything else ready), get all of the videos shot, get all of the still pictures shot, get all of the media items lined up, schedule and execute a press conference (with handouts)...
                  I figure that they had the coaches in town for 2-3 days, max. And the coaches were still in the middle of all of their coaching responsibilities and were flying into Madison for this event and then flying immediately back out. I think it was pretty amazing that they were able to get what they did in that short time frame.

Also, given the abbreviated schedule that they were working under, I doubt that there would have been an opportunity to jump into a marketing class and say "Hi, we'd like to completely take over your class for the next week for this urgent Athletic Department project."

To me it is absurd to think that the Marketing Department could have done much more than what they did, but there will always be people who expect more and complain when they don't get it. And now people come along and complain about the coaches not "acting" enough in the TV spots? They are hockey coaches, not usually a demographic known for their warm and fuzzy on-screen personalities.

Come on everyone...it is a great time to be a Badger Hockey fan, quit looking for the little things to pick apart and enjoy the ride.

OK, you can tell me how off base I am now and how much of a disgrace I am and how I should pack up my roots and follow my second cousin Mike wherever he may land and continue my underground media campaign on his behalf with his new team.

Maybe you should just run along and let the adults talk.

Comment

But I'll bite a bit.

I actually work in advertising and have put together numerous commercials. I'm a professional.

My insight into these matters, while obviously MY opinion, trumps any bleeding hearts' opinions.

1 - An edit of the pre game intro would have been quite easy to edit down to a 30 as the assets are already in place.

2 - It doesn't take a professional video editor more than an hour or two to put together a spot if they are using existing assets. I'm not suggesting that the coaches would be used in all of the spots - nor should they. You're not selling the coaches. While it's important/essential to let the public know that these guys are back and that the program is in good hands, you are selling the experience of Badger Hockey. The coaches are not the experience - only a part of it.

3 - They are buying relatively cheap prime time advertising. Nobody (relatively speaking) watches NHL games. That said, it's a good value for the cost as it's a very targeted audience. There are no "casual" watchers - again, relatively speaking - of NHL games.

Comment

Advertising 101

What I'd change.

1 - Get rid of the maudlin background music and use the greatest musical asset that you own - the freaking University of Wisconsin Band.

2 - Why no footage of the 06 title? That's the Championship that everyone has the most recent connection to and the touchstone that the most number of people will be able to identify with. I realize that Eaves was a part of that, but it's one of the six and Eaves remains a Badger great - both as a player and a coach.

3 - Run 3 spots. Have the sappy one, with better background music and with the coaches actually directed and showing a bit of passion. Create a legacy spot from the pre game intro or something that mirrors it. Create an experience spot that gets into all that it means to be a part of Badger Hockey - game day atmosphere (as it was and will be again), tradition, etc.

Run these at 1:2:2.

4 - Market around the idea of "Don't miss out" or "You don't want to miss this" or "Get back in while you can - the best seats are going fast"

Create some excitement and most importantly, urgency.

Those are my off the cuff thoughts. Give me a budget and a techie type or two and we'd kill it.

Comment

On a mostly unrelated note, I saw a Deadspin article highlighting how great the Sharks' PP was in game 4 against the Kings. It's really making me want to watch that Tom Gilbert PP goal from the '06 title game, but I can't for the life of me come up with it searching on youtube. Anyone know where to find it online?
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          On a mostly unrelated note, I saw a Deadspin article highlighting how great the Sharks' PP was in game 4 against the Kings. It's really making me want to watch that Tom Gilbert PP goal from the '06 title game, but I can't for the life of me come up with it searching on youtube. Anyone know where to find it online?

I have it on a vhs tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            You're not selling the coaches.
                            I guess this is where the UW Marketing Department might disagree with you.

This whole media blitz has been about the coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Advertising 101

What I'd change.

1 - Get rid of the maudlin background music and use the greatest musical asset that you own - the freaking University of Wisconsin Band.

2 - Why no footage of the 06 title? That's the Championship that everyone has the most recent connection to and the touchstone that the most number of people will be able to identify with. I realize that Eaves was a part of that, but it's one of the six and Eaves remains a Badger great - both as a player and a coach.

3 - Run 3 spots. Have the sappy one, with better background music and with the coaches actually directed and showing a bit of passion. Create a legacy spot from the pre game intro or something that mirrors it. Create an experience spot that gets into all that it means to be a part of Badger Hockey - game day atmosphere (as it was and will be again), tradition, etc.

Run these at 1:2:2.

4 - Market around the idea of "Don't miss out" or "You don't want to miss this" or "Get back in while you can - the best seats are going fast"

Create some excitement and most importantly, urgency.

Those are my off the cuff thoughts. Give me a budget and a techie type or two and we'd kill it.
                              This all sounds very professional and convincing except for the last part. Are you sure to come up with this you didn't pull every person in the office off their other projects and have them all work 18 hour days straight through the weekend only on my account because I'm such a valued customer?

I mean that's usually how it's explained to me when a guy scribbles his ideas on a Starbucks napkin on the way to my office.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                This all sounds very professional and convincing except for the last part. Are you sure to come up with this you didn't pull every person in the office off their other projects and have them all work 18 hour days straight through the weekend only on my account because I'm such a valued customer?

I mean that's usually how it's explained to me when a guy scribbles his ideas on a Starbucks napkin on the way to my office.

Hey, if we billed for the actual time this **** takes, we'd be homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                X