PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

burd
05-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Me too. Now I wonder if Wayne Gretzky is even on that site. I'm too afraid to even look. I hope all those Civil War maps I look at are real on there. Some dude with a Finish last name draw them all. What would a guy from Finland know about troop movements in the Civil War?

I am seriously going to look into starting a page for him. Sounds like a fun project.

Not a broad audience, but he deserves it. Go for it.

If Donald Trump has two pages, Howie merits four, IMHO.

WiscDC
05-06-2016, 09:20 AM
What is Bill Howard's last name?

???

Howard, obviously. (I'm guessing that's the name of the goalie coach in question.)

WiscTJK
05-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Howard, obviously. (I'm guessing that's the name of the goalie coach in question.)

I'm guessing solo was just being sarcastic.

solovsfett
05-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Yep😈

WiscDC
05-06-2016, 12:02 PM

And I was finally learning that guy's name!

Timothy A
05-06-2016, 12:26 PM
You know, some say Finland isn't real: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2qjohv/what_did_your_parents_show_you_to_do_that_you/cn6pn30?context=3

Wow, that is so funny. How in the world did you come across this? Just sitting in your hip pocket in the case Finland ever got discussed?

Here's what I know about Bill Howard. An unsubstantiated rumor is he grew up in Grand Spoons ND. He was an Accounting teacher at a Madison HS (East or Memorial?) He coached hockey at that same school at some point. He did the color analysis of games on 1310 WIBA with Paul Braun doing the play by play. PBS used the audio from those broadcasts on the tape delayed hockey broadcasts. He has goalie camps at 3 locations during the summer. Maybe some other older timers like MCR, Gurt, Solo or Wiscko McB can fill in other gaps.

FYI the Adidas apparel is on sale and there's some sweet deals to be had, even some hockey related things.

I might as well go totally sideways....the gamefish opener is tomorrow, I'm hoping to bump into Oz on Monona tossing large baits for large fish.

Wisconsin Hockey: A light-hearted summer before the fall storm.

burd
05-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Here's what I know about Bill Howard. An unsubstantiated rumor is he grew up in Grand Spoons ND.

HA!! Burd is his own independent source.

Timothy A
05-06-2016, 02:40 PM
HA!! Burd is his own independent source.

I was a history major in college, and you are a secondary source. And I'm not quite sure if you were a primary source that your could be trusted anyway. :O

MadCityRich
05-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Gino definitely had his detractors, including a friend of mine who played for him. He won, though, and that tends to silence critics--or at least drown them out.

Yup.

MadCityRich
05-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Wow, that is so funny. How in the world did you come across this? Just sitting in your hip pocket in the case Finland ever got discussed?

Here's what I know about Bill Howard. An unsubstantiated rumor is he grew up in Grand Spoons ND. He was an Accounting teacher at a Madison HS (East or Memorial?) He coached hockey at that same school at some point. He did the color analysis of games on 1310 WIBA with Paul Braun doing the play by play. PBS used the audio from those broadcasts on the tape delayed hockey broadcasts. He has goalie camps at 3 locations during the summer. Maybe some other older timers like MCR, Gurt, Solo or Wiscko McB can fill in other gaps.

FYI the Adidas apparel is on sale and there's some sweet deals to be had, even some hockey related things.

I might as well go totally sideways....the gamefish opener is tomorrow, I'm hoping to bump into Oz on Monona tossing large baits for large fish.

Wisconsin Hockey: A light-hearted summer before the fall storm.

Tim, Howie was a teacher at Memorial and DID coach the hockey team for 10 years, he won a lot of games. I think he won 2 or 3 state titles. As a collegiate hockey player, Howie was a 'tender at Colorado
College where he played for Bob Johnson! How's that for knowin' the guy!

I got to know him a little while MCRJr attended 8 years of camps and he was the Capitols' goalie coach. A very interesting gentleman who I like a lot!

BTW Tim, Monona is still a bit cool, although I'm sure it warmed up today. Just remember to keep those "water-churners" sloooow, so the elusive "Esox Masquinongy" can catch it!!

gwhinwi
05-06-2016, 08:45 PM
I just checked the 2000 media guide and they have some more info.

2 state titles at Memorial. 136-72-1 record, including a 44-0-0 mark from 1975-55

Lettered for two years at CC and was the starter in 65-66. Also played baseball at CC.

Taught Business Law at Memorial.

Wife - Bonnie
Sons - Troy and Casey

B.A. in Business Administration - CC
M.A. in Business Administration - UW-Whitewater

WiscDC
05-06-2016, 11:10 PM
As Ralph Wiggum would say, "I'm learnding!"

burd
05-07-2016, 04:52 AM
And this from a very reliable source:

"Bill grew up in a warm and nurturing environment in Grand Forks, North Dakota, where he learned everything he had to know about the art of goaltending and, more importantly, dealing with people with wide and diverse interests."

Id. at p. 34.

NEWI Badger Fan
05-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Fantastic effort by Brian Elliott to beat Dallas today. 27 Saves, .964 Save %. Faced some tough shots.

MadCityRich
05-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Fantastic effort by Brian Elliott to beat Dallas today. 27 Saves, .964 Save %. Faced some tough shots.

+1,000,000

Gurtholfin
05-07-2016, 10:32 PM
I've never liked the Blues going back to the 80s, but it's nice to see Elliott finally getting a real chance and making the most of it.

In other news, the marketing department still hasn't had enough time to put together another TV spot.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Timothy A
05-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Tim, Howie was a teacher at Memorial and DID coach the hockey team for 10 years, he won a lot of games. I think he won 2 or 3 state titles. As a collegiate hockey player, Howie was a 'tender at Colorado
College where he played for Bob Johnson! How's that for knowin' the guy!

I got to know him a little while MCRJr attended 8 years of camps and he was the Capitols' goalie coach. A very interesting gentleman who I like a lot!

BTW Tim, Monona is still a bit cool, although I'm sure it warmed up today. Just remember to keep those "water-churners" sloooow, so the elusive "Esox Masquinongy" can catch it!!

I knew you'd come through with good info.

Man, the wind was a beast yesterday, ended up down-sizing and caught some pike and bass in the Yahara river where it widens by the belt-line.

GBBadger14
05-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Looks like the coaches have some recruits in town...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not a bad place to hang out on a Saturday night!! Perfect evening to have recruits in town. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/badgers?src=hash">#badgers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/madison?src=hash">#madison</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZLH4mPtMec">pic.twitter.com/ZLH4mPtMec</a></p>&mdash; Mark Osiecki (@Osiecki24) <a href="https://twitter.com/Osiecki24/status/729141684227870720">May 8, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gwhinwi
05-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Baggot just posted an article about Tony's first week on the job.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/5/9/mens-hockey-no-settling-in-for-granato-during-hectic-first-week-in-office.aspx

Also includes base salary information for each of the coaches (for those of you curious in such things - Tony - $400k per year, plus compensation enhancements - Don and Mark - $200k per year.)

Bonin21
05-09-2016, 11:00 AM
5 years worth $2.75MM means total base pay, right? So starting at $400K but an average of $550K?