Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Here ya go, Badger fans, we here in Minnesota are doing our best to make you competitive again, so as to no longer be an embarrassment to our league.

Two former Burnsville boys' hockey state champions fill out Wisconsin's 'dream team' coaching staff
    http://www.startribune.com/two-forme...aff/374051121/
    [Insert my usual comment about how people from all over want to go to the University of Wisconsin.]

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
      In my time at UW, home openers have never been all that well attended relative to the rest of the year, but I am really, really, really looking forward to the first game's introductions. Even if the team will be a work in progress at that point, I expect an awesome atmosphere of hope and excitement. The amount of big, completely unforced smiles I had today just looking at the videos, images, and words of the introduction is astounding.
      I would have to agree with your statement about the home openers. I've been going to games for over 30 years and I have never been to a home opener. I may have to make an appearance this year.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
        Because the running joke is that the only way I could be so positive about the team would be if I was a member of the administration or a member of the Eaves family.

I wonder what will happen now, will I become a long-lost Granato brother?
        I'm always positive about badger hockey no matter the situation.....my team my program.....always excited to be there never think we are going to lose

Comment

Not to rain on the BA party, but he kinda got lucky, didn't he? TG was not on the short list to begin with, he was hoping to get MJ, DG or Oz. He asked a simple question, a question that I give him credit for asking, and that lead to this whole thing. And it was TG's idea to work with Oz and Don. I am shocked the U shelled out money for 2 associate head coaches when the FB team is getting coaches poached due to being underpaid.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
            Thanks Wisko, that was a great video. That thing that struck me was that they seem almost like fans - they seem to care passionately about the program. Maybe it was a show - but if it was, they did a good job selling it.

Can we put in a request for a one game entrance song? Before the team takes the ice for the first home game, I want a montage of the three coaches highlights from their UW days and pro careers and pictures from today's introductory conference interspersed together with "Mama, I'm Coming Home" by Ozzy Osbourne playing....the lights are off....then they put the spotlights on the area where the players come out and the coaches are the first three out onto the ice with spotlights following them as they walk to the bench area.

The way this fan base feels right now, the roof might come off the Kohl Center. I know, it will never happen and seems goofy - but I think it would be awesome.

Socks....non-exisistent.
            It wasn't a show, Tony's a completely straight shooter. (As are Donny and Oz for the most part.) With Tony, what you see is exactly what you get. He tells it like it is without the frills. He's also very warm and charming, but is an extremely intense competitor. I don't think he knows how to be any other way.

While I do think your idea would be awesome, yesterday was the day that was all about the new coaches coming home. Come opening night, I'm pretty sure all 3 coaches would agree that the focus should all be on the guys taking the ice. Ultimately it's the players that Tony, Donny, and Oz select that are tasked with restoring Badger hockey to the top.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

While I do think your idea would be awesome, yesterday was the day that was all about the new coaches coming home. Come opening night, I'm pretty sure all 3 coaches would agree that the focus should all be on the guys taking the ice. Ultimately it's the players that Tony, Donny, and Oz select that are tasked with restoring Badger hockey to the top.
              I agree, that would be the biggest hang-up. They could still do the montage and then have the kids take the ice first, as usual. That's a good compromise - in my eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuB View Post
                Thanks Wisko, that was a great video. That thing that struck me was that they seem almost like fans - they seem to care passionately about the program. Maybe it was a show - but if it was, they did a good job selling it.

Can we put in a request for a one game entrance song? Before the team takes the ice for the first home game, I want a montage of the three coaches highlights from their UW days and pro careers and pictures from today's introductory conference interspersed together with "Mama, I'm Coming Home" by Ozzy Osbourne playing....the lights are off....then they put the spotlights on the area where the players come out and the coaches are the first three out onto the ice with spotlights following them as they walk to the bench area.

The way this fan base feels right now, the roof might come off the Kohl Center. I know, it will never happen and seems goofy - but I think it would be awesome.

Socks....non-exisistent.
                It's not a show. I dug up the book Shot And A Goal by Bill Brophy and Julie Kluge because I recalled a chapter that focused on badger families; Johnson's, Suter's, Granato's.
                The quotes from Don and Tony really sum up their passion for the UW. I'll try and post the quotes later
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  It's not a show. I dug up the book Shot And A Goal by Bill Brophy and Julie Kluge because I recalled a chapter that focused on badger families; Johnson's, Suter's, Granato's.
                  The quotes from Don and Tony really sum up their passion for the UW. I'll try and post the quotes later
                  I have that book too....I will search for it as well.

I wasn't trying to diss on TG, I was just (pleasently) taken aback by how excited and genuine he was in the press conference. It as awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Not to rain on the BA party, but he kinda got lucky, didn't he? TG was not on the short list to begin with, he was hoping to get MJ, DG or Oz. He asked a simple question, a question that I give him credit for asking, and that lead to this whole thing. And it was TG's idea to work with Oz and Don. I am shocked the U shelled out money for 2 associate head coaches when the FB team is getting coaches poached due to being underpaid.
                    On Heller's show yesterday TG indicated that it was Barry's idea to get all three, so who knows? Full props to Barry either way. For all the flack we've given him, when the game was on the line, the clock was ticking down and we needed someone to step up and make a big play, he did just that. He had to have the vision to see it and then the acumen to get it done and sell it to the board. A lot of guys wouldn't have been able to.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

@AndyBaggot: In the 24 hours since Tony Granato and Co. took over the #Badgers men's hockey program, 134 patrons have requested 375 season tickets.

Seems good to me
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        On Heller's show yesterday TG indicated that it was Barry's idea to get all three, so who knows? Full props to Barry either way. For all the flack we've given him, when the game was on the line, the clock was ticking down and we needed someone to step up and make a big play, he did just that. He had to have the vision to see it and then the acumen to get it done and sell it to the board. A lot of guys wouldn't have been able to.
                        Even I cannot really argue.

Most I can do is add the caveat that it doesn't change what he did or didn't do in the past. But even then I almost feel like a wet blanket pointing it out. The optimistic view is that he's seen the light and respected the right voices to do what had to be done.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

B.A. IS a "hockey guy".

Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Even I cannot really argue.

Most I can do is add the caveat that it doesn't change what he did or didn't do in the past. But even then I almost feel like a wet blanket pointing it out. The optimistic view is that he's seen the light and respected the right voices to do what had to be done.
                            Barry may suffer on the political skill side of the AD job, but he is fantastic at reading people one-on-one. Some instinct (likely from his recruiting days) must have kicked in during his conversation with Tony that told him "This guy would love to return to the university" and then he had the ego/intelegance/guts to ask the question and challenge what everyone else had told him about Tony being a "NHL coach".

I suspect that this staff will get more out of the returning roster of players than any of us could believe possible. Tony is a players coach as is going to get the best out of the players who step on this campus.

I still have worries about Tony's lack of roster management, specifically the difficulties imposed by various NCAA rules and the university itself. Hopefully Oz can help navigate much of that.

Comment

One of the things that really stuck with me from yesterday is when Donny said that there was a "sense of obligation" in coming back to Wisconsin. In order for the program to be great (in order for anything to be great, really) it requires some people setting aside personal aspirations and focusing on the bigger picture of what is needed, and then stepping up to contribute all they can to that end. Sacrificing for something greater than just yourself.

These guys are all on short lists for HC jobs, Tony in the NHL, Don and Oz everywhere else. There's been a lot of people: fans, alums, and people with real power to do something if they so chose, complaining about various things for the last 20 years, but how many have put it on the line and said "Badger hockey has given me a lot, meant a lot to me, and I'm going to step up and do anything it requires to give back." Some, but not as many as could have.

These guys see it. They know and feel how much it has meant to them, their friends, their families and Wisconsin, and rather than sit on the sidelines they chose to do everything they can to get it right again. They recognize someone has to do it or it's not going to happen. Hopefully, with that kind of leadership, others recognize their obligation to give back, whether it be buying a ticket to a game; financial support of those able; past stars getting more involved with promotion, steering and training; fans and students cheering louder and bringing even more creativity and friends to the games. Perhaps there will be more recognition by everyone who has benefited from and loves Badger hockey that each also has an obligation to do something to give back the way that these guys are. That is what makes it all go.

Having said that, succeeding at building Wisconsin back into a powerhouse will also validate what everyone already suspects about these three coaches. Success here will bring even more opportunities to each of them in the future. So, potentially a great career move for all three.
                              Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 03-31-2016, 10:19 AM.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Here ya go, Badger fans, we here in Minnesota are doing our best to make you competitive again, so as to no longer be an embarrassment to our league.

Two former Burnsville boys' hockey state champions fill out Wisconsin's 'dream team' coaching staff
                                http://www.startribune.com/two-forme...aff/374051121/
                                The smartest rodentsotains are ones who are smart enough to recognize what a revolting predicament they were born into and make the right moves as adults to cleanse their souls. Obviously there is a lot of lack of smarts in our old neighbor to the west.

BA kinda made it sound like he had left the door open for MJ to consider the job, but the events of the TG deal unfolded quickly and MJ didn't get back to him before the leak. So I wonder what MJ was going through his mind during the pondering period....and once the TG bus was coming, he just allowed it to come to the terminal? I think BA certainly owed MJ a call to at least tell him about the TG deal before it got leaked by ESPN.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X