PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Bratbill
04-17-2016, 05:06 PM
It's The "Hello Old Friends" Commercial that's at the UW Site as well.

Just noticed Goalie Brian Elliott with the Motion Red W and a Badger on the back of his helmet during today's Hawks/Blues Game.
I don't watch a lot of Blues games (Something about Backes and OTT :))
Has he always worn this helmet ?

WiscTJK
04-17-2016, 09:00 PM

Just noticed Goalie Brian Elliott with the Motion Red W and a Badger on the back of his helmet during today's Hawks/Blues Game.

I think he has had the motion W on his helmet since graduating UW.

MadCityRich
04-17-2016, 09:01 PM

That helmet is a Curtis Joseph, aka CuJo, throw back. He wore it on a night when Joseph was honored in STL. However, ALL of Brian's helmets sport the motion W. He has had good luck with it, so he continues to wear it! ("It" being the CuJo replica.)

NEWI Badger Fan
04-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Brian Eliott with a career high playoff 44 saves. A career high playoff saves w/ ST Louis Blues in the playoffs......... and vs the dirty BlackHawks.....lol Gurt....

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Els is, and always has been, the man.

badger79
04-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Elliott and Pavelski both playing well in the quest for Lord Stanley's cup...

Brian Eliott with a career high playoff 44 saves. A career high playoff saves w/ ST Louis Blues in the playoffs......... and vs the dirty BlackHawks.....lol Gurt....

Are you an old-school North Stars fan? I grew up about five minutes away from the Met Center, my dad used to take us to games and I cried the day they imploded the building. The old Blackhawks hatred is still there, maybe not as fiery as it used to be though. I follow the Wild, but they don't really engender the same kind of passion for me.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-18-2016, 01:31 AM
It's bull****, of course, but I was a kid in Richfield at the time, and I like to say that I felt the rumble when they tore the old Met Center down.

BTW, Craig Smith with a nice game against the Ducks in Anaheim tonight as well.

NEWI Badger Fan
04-18-2016, 03:38 AM
Elliott and Pavelski both playing well in the quest for Lord Stanley's cup...

Are you an old-school North Stars fan? I grew up about five minutes away from the Met Center, my dad used to take us to games and I cried the day they imploded the building. The old Blackhawks hatred is still there, maybe not as fiery as it used to be though. I follow the Wild, but they don't really engender the same kind of passion for me.

I am a Wings fan. Enjoyed the old days when the Wings dominated the Hawks. Respect the Hawks. No coincidence with the Hawks success and Scotty Bowman joining their organization. Since Scotty left the Wings, they have not been relevant.

Timothy A
04-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Troy Ward quit his job as GM/Coach of the Caps. Hopefully Strand gets his old job back. That Ward fellow holds down jobs like a jumping bean. He has proven MM correct in justifying his firing him due to lack of commitment back in 2005.

GBBadger14
04-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Troy Ward quit his job as GM/Coach of the Caps. Hopefully Strand gets his old job back. That Ward fellow holds down jobs like a jumping bean. He has proven MM correct in justifying his firing him due to lack of commitment back in 2005.

That'd be pretty great for Stand (if he wants it).

badger79
04-18-2016, 08:19 PM
It's bull****, of course, but I was a kid in Richfield at the time, and I like to say that I felt the rumble when they tore the old Met Center down.

Bloomington. East, not West. Jefferson sucks (I still remember booing loudly at my TV screen the night Joe Bianchi scored a hat trick in the state title game). I was 15 when the building came down.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-20-2016, 08:39 AM
In the coach watch, Oz's Rockford Ice Hogs open up tonight vs. Lake Erie in a best of 5 series with game 5 slated for next Thursday. Rockford is 4-2 on the season vs. the Monsters but did lose the last two on the road in late March.

Detroit, of course, trails Tampa 3-1 with a possible elimination game 5 scheduled for Thursday night in Tampa. Possible that the Badgers could have their head coach on the job by the weekend.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Detroit, of course, trails Tampa 3-1 with a possible elimination game 5 scheduled for Thursday night in Tampa. Possible that the Badgers could have their head coach on the job by the weekend.

I might say "likely", the way that series is going.

GBBadger14
04-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Shouldn't we have seen an announcement by now of the spring signees? Maybe they're waiting for the whole coaching staff to be on campus?

gwhinwi
04-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Shouldn't we have seen an announcement by now of the spring signees? Maybe they're waiting for the whole coaching staff to be on campus?

They just announced Trent Frederic via the website and Twitter. Haven't seen anything about the others as of yet.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Who was it that officially signed in the fall window?

GBBadger14
04-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Who was it that officially signed in the fall window?

<a href="http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2015/11/18/MHOCKEY_1118151528.aspx?path=mhockey">5 guys: Labosky, Sundberg, Zimmer, Stillwell, and Astren </a>

Gurtholfin
04-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Okay... I'm happy that they did a TV spot and that they're trying, but...

The "Old Friend" spot is pretty cheesy and sappy to begin with and now I'm seeing it 3 or 4 times every time I watch an NHL game.

It doesn't make me excited for Badger Hockey. It's boring. All 3 coaches have a completely flat affect delivery.

If they were going to do this size of a buy, both in weeks purchased and frequency, they should have something like the game opening video that pumps people up in addition to the sappy one.

Probably needed to rotate 3 spots.

Again... happy they're bothering, but they have a freaking AV department. Would have taken a morning to crank out two more spots.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I don't get it during games here of course, but the spot is the kind that definitely loses it's mojo on repeat.

Not only do they have an AV dept. but how many students are in marketing classes? I often think that institutions like UW way under utilize students. It seems to me working on a class project like coming up with a campaign for the real world would be an invaluable learning experience and would also probably result in some awesome marketing ideas. Not to mention UW's cost savings from the free labor of indentured students.

But in any case, spending that kind of $$ without a cohesive and imaginative campaign in mind is the sort of partial measure that tends to separate winners and losers in the business world, but is pretty SOP in the world of academia in my experience.

Gurtholfin
04-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Yeah... it's particularly irksome to me as marketing and advertising is what I do and I know how easy it would have been to really nail it.

Give me the budget (which probably wasn't all that much) that they used and I would have crushed it.

As you say, students would have been a great resource although you have to remember that your target audience is likely adults 35-65, so you'd have to have some overall creative direction from an old(er) fart.