Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
    This would be the definition of settling, and it certainly won't win any fans back.
    Exactly. They'd never pull that bs with football and with bball they did it only based on gard's interim run of games. With Strand there's almost nothing, and forget about us fans for a minute, the alumni probably wouldn't be too happy about this.

But it's clear their decision was made prior to this weekend and it's a formality to have a job posting until monday
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      I hope that is not the case........you have some sources for this correct?
      No sources just a wild *** guess. But if the coaches spot is filled which it appears it is and you are only going to be hiring one assistant that obviously means 1 current assistant is going to be retained.

Then why over the weekend was Luke Strand and JB Bittner out scouting the ushl??? Especially the evening after your head coach just got fired???? FYI that were sitting right behind us at the great Dane.

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
        No sources just a wild *** guess. But if the coaches spot is filled which it appears it is and you are only going to be hiring one assistant that obviously means 1 current assistant is going to be retained.

Then why over the weekend was Luke Strand and JB Bittner out scouting the ushl??? Especially the evening after your head coach just got fired???? FYI that were sitting right behind us at the great Dane.
        Because until they hear about the New HC, that is still their job. Plus, I'm sure that both would like to remain employed if possible.

Because Strand has a contract for next year, it's going to be up to the new coach to decide on his fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
          Because until they hear about the New HC, that is still their job. Plus, I'm sure that both would like to remain employed if possible.

Because Strand has a contract for next year, it's going to be up to the new coach to decide on his fate.
          And the fact that they are only looking to hire one assistant coach means one of these 2 assistants will be here next year so it is obvious at least Luke strand will be on the new coaching staff one way or another

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Exactly. They'd never pull that bs with football and with bball they did it only based on gard's interim run of games. With Strand there's almost nothing, and forget about us fans for a minute, the alumni probably wouldn't be too happy about this.

But it's clear their decision was made prior to this weekend and it's a formality to have a job posting until monday
            That's how Paul Chirst ended up as the football HC.

Sometimes the flashy hire isn't the right hire. Because of the NCAA tournament, none of the current HCs will be available.

That leaves Granato, Oz , and Strand as the three most likely options.

It sounds as if things had already been in motion, unofficially of course, before Friday.

Comment

[QUOTE=Almington;6300635]That's how Paul Chirst ended up as the football HC.

Sometimes the flashy hire isn't the right hire. Because of the NCAA tournament, none of the current HCs will be available.

It sounds as if things had already been in motion, unofficially of course, before Friday.[/QUOTE

I would be willing to bet the new hockey was hired long before these stories broke

Comment

If it's Strand, I'll take another muli-year hiatus from the board. My buddy who knows him well has told me enough stories that I don't want him as an assistant, let alone the head coach.

Comment

I'm not sure if we're reading to much into the one assistant posting or not. For example if it's Donny and he wants to bring say Tony and Nick Fohr (let's hope) along I don't see the AD saying no. They can always post the job to meet state requirements I'd think.

Or maybe they got Nate Leamon and convinced Steve Miller to return to Wisconsin...

...sadly they haven't.

Luke and J.B are officially retained to facilitate transition at this point. What happens with them absolutely depends on the new HC. In the meantime their job is to continue their job. Plus they are going to absolutely have hockey jobs next year somewhere so there's every reason for them to continue scouting. The surprise would be if they weren't.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                    If it's Strand, I'll take another muli-year hiatus from the board. My buddy who knows him well has told me enough stories that I don't want him as an assistant, let alone the head coach.
                    Strand was in charge of defensemen this year... While I do think Linhart made big strides and will be pretty good next year, there wasn't much to write home about there. They have however managed a couple of big commits. A mixed bag of results at best in year one.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                      Luke Strand will be named badger hockey coach and JB Bittner will be his assistant and they are looking to fill another assistant coach position.

Explains why the they were scouting the Madison capital games this weekend.
                      Wow. Well, that would make our decision on re-upping Friday and Saturday night tickets an easy one.

Comment

wow, don't think that's what many of you were looking for.

Comment

It sounds as if things had already been in motion, unofficially of course, before Friday
                          I posted this in the other thread, but I truly believe this is the case. I dont see any other reason Wisky landed Max Gildon (plays now for Granato) I think Max might have been tipped off.

If I were a betting man I would say Donny is the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                            Wow. Well, that would make our decision on re-upping Friday and Saturday night tickets an easy one.
                            Either that or its Granato and strand plus one other assistant to be hired

Comment

My $.02

First, I wouldn't read anything into the listing of open positions or deadlines for application. Pretty sure that is simply done to fulfill legal requirements. UW is not going to hire their head coach from a pool of applicants. They are going to be out courting, and whoever the head coach is will have influence over at least one if not both of the assistants. If it's both, they can always post another token opening.

Second, I think the biggest priority has to be getting an experienced, proven coach to bring the program back to solid ground. Now is not the time for them to take a shot on former assistants or successful DIII coaches. I know the general feeling is someone like Gwoz is too old, but to me that is exactly the kind of hire that should be prioritized. You would only get limited years from him, but with the #1 priority being to bring the program back to a solid foundation, it seems like a legitimate sacrifice. I'm not saying it *should* or *will* be Gwoz specifically...if he took the job he would probably want to make something like a 10 year commitment to the program and to himself, and who knows if that is something he is even interested in.

No. I think UW going out and trying to hire away a current, established coach is the best thing they could do.
                              Leaman, Pecknold, Bazin, Hastings, even taking a crack at Allain or Pearson. Could they get any of those guys? Well, it probably depends on how much they are willing to spend. Spend enough and they could land one of that group, I would think.

Comment

It sounds as if things had already been in motion, unofficially of course, before Friday.
                                You're right. however, I don't know if I agree with the Chryst hire (the jury is out for another 2 years on him I feel).
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X