Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
    After hearing the news this afternoon, had some time to think. Some random thoughts:

3.) The biggest thing that always concerned me about the program was that it appeared the athletic department just turned a blind eye to hockey. They gave us the impression that they didn't care if we were successful. I'm not sure what finally broke through, but this hire showed the department finally started listening to the fans. That alone is reassuring. The fact that they then made a proper assessment of what was needed (big time hire that fans could rally behind) and were willing to pay for it (I'm guessing here that this staff did not come cheap) is icing on the cake.
    4.) I wonder what the final straw was when they knew they needed to make big changes? The drubbing by Minnesota, when everyone complained we weren't even competitive anymore? The uproar and subsequent written apology from Barry about the "hockey didn't matter" statement? The attendance? The letters?
    3.) The couldn't ignore it any longer. Their revenue tanked. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$

4.) $$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
      4.) I wonder what the final straw was when they knew they needed to make big changes? The drubbing by Minnesota, when everyone complained we weren't even competitive anymore? The uproar and subsequent written apology from Barry about the "hockey didn't matter" statement? The attendance? The letters?

6.) I am interested in what style of play the new staff will bring. Will we go to a more free wheeling type of offense? Will we play a trap on defense? Will we go back to being goaltender university?
      In retrospect I wouldn't be surprised that the drubbing by MN at home in front of the season's biggest crowd wasn't it. I can only imagine the amount of backlash there was afterward. For everyone involved on UW's side from players to coaches to admin's to fans it was like a bad dream where everything keeps going wrong and you're helpless to do anything about it. Boys were likely way too hyped and nervous and when it started going wrong off the puck drop, the floodgates opened. Nothing that hasn't happened before in sports but it really seemed to be the final tipping point to me.

Don't know for sure what the Granato's and Oz will decide to do, but it's interesting to note that the forecheck style and the in zone D Mike Eaves attempted to install this year are very similar to strategies employed by Jeff Blashill's Detroit Redwings this season.

I wonder if instead of Oz, they considered bringing in Cammi? (and maybe brother-in-law Ray Ferraro as a volunteer.)
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        In retrospect I wouldn't be surprised that the drubbing by MN at home in front of the season's biggest crowd wasn't it. I can only imagine the amount of backlash there was afterward. For everyone involved on UW's side from players to coaches to admin's to fans it was like a bad dream where everything keeps going wrong and you're helpless to do anything about it. Boys were likely way too hyped and nervous and when it started going wrong off the puck drop, the floodgates opened. Nothing that hasn't happened before in sports but it really seemed to be the final tipping point to me.

Don't know for sure what the Granato's and Oz will decide to do, but it's interesting to note that the forecheck style and the in zone D Mike Eaves attempted to install this year are very similar to strategies employed by Jeff Blashill's Detroit Redwings this season.

I wonder if instead of Oz, they considered bringing in Cammi? (and maybe brother-in-law Ray Ferraro as a volunteer.)
        Isn't Baylee Wellhausen (UW Womens player) the niece of Tony and Don? Why not add Cammi and Ray Ferraro! Make it a family affair!!

Comment

Originally posted by pensrule View Post
          Isn't Baylee Wellhausen (UW Womens player) the niece of Tony and Don? Why not add Cammi and Ray Ferraro! Make it a family affair!!
          She is, although (and not that it matters at all, family is family) she's actually Christina's adopted daughter. Very sadly, Baylee's mom, Karen Wellhausen, passed away after a battle with breast cancer. Her Dad (Kevin) and Christina met when 8 year old Baylee was attending Granato's hockey camp. Sad, but great story.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            She is, although (and not that it matters at all, family is family) she's actually Christina's adopted daughter. Very sadly, Baylee's mom, Karen Wellhausen, passed away after a battle with breast cancer. Her Dad (Kevin) and Christina met when 8 year old Baylee was attending Granato's hockey camp. Sad, but great story.
            You would never know that by the way she plays.. Feisty, fast, and a bit chippy! Plays like her uncles! And she wears #21!! Baylee is a really fun player to watch! She is my daughters favorite player! Anytime a child loses a parent at a young age it is heartbreaking.. So glad this story ends happily! A great family to be a part of after all!
            Last edited by pensrule; 03-28-2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pensrule View Post
              You would never know that by the way she plays.. Feisty, fast, and a bit chippy! Plays like her uncles! And she wears #21!! Baylee is a really fun player to watch! She is my daughters favorite player! Anytime a child loses a parent at a young age it is heartbreaking.. So glad this story ends happily! A great family to be a part of after all!
              Ha! "a bit chippy!" If I had the money just for the sticks Tony broke slashing guys over the years I could probably pay my daughter's entire college tuition.

Tony is a sweetheart, but was just plain nasty on the ice. At maybe 5'10", he was usually second or third on his team in PIM, and when you consider he played with McSorley a lot, you could move him up one notch just about anywhere else.

In his first shift of his first NHL game at the Blackhawks, where his dad, Don Sr., had had season tickets his whole life and was finally realizing his dream of watching his son play an NHL game there, Tony pulled a 5 minute major and was ejected.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Let's see...

Detroit home Monday, at Montreal Tuesday, home Friday... Tony could be available for Thursday news conference.

Rockford at Chicago Wednesday, home vs. San Antonio Friday... Oz could be available for Thursday news conference

U17 at Green Bay Friday and Saturday... Rob could be available for a Thursday news conference

Not saying it's going to happen then. No inside knowledge on this. Just looking at the three schedules...
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

and there's this report:

Nico Savidge Verified account ‏@NSavidge 33m33 minutes ago
                  A UW Board of Regents committee will meet tomorrow to discuss contracts/pay for new coaches of Badger men's hockey and women's basketball

So maybe a Wednesday news conference could fit, too... Oz could make it to the Horizon for gametime...
                  ---

Comment

I'll bring up a contrarian point of view (because let's be honest, that is kind of what I do)

I'll absolutely agree that is an absolute best-case scenario for UW for the short term. We get 3 quality names that fans can recognizes, that players can recognize, that recruits can recognize. They will surely bring some new life into the team and the facilities. Ticket sales are bound to get a spike from this. We may get a better look at some top-end recruits. UW should be back in position for routine conference titles and in consideration for regular NCAA appearances.

But what does this do for us 5-10 years down the road?

Does anyone see this as a "lifetime appointment" for Tony? Or would he be tempted away by an NHL HC spot?

Situation A - Assuming Tony stays for a while, how long can we keep Don and Oz? Oz has already left us once for an NCAA HC position. Don's desires for an NCAA HC position have been made known. Would both of them stick around for the long haul out of respect/duty/obligation to the Cardinal and White?

Situation B - We see Tony gone after 4-7 years. What does that do for the competition for the vacant HC position? You would have to think that if both Don and Oz are still around that they would both want the spot. Would either be willing to stay and work under the other knowing that it would likely be another 10+ years before he could get his HC show at UW?

I love that this is happening, it is a great thing for the team, university, community, B7G, NCAA, everyone else. But are we setting ourselves up for disappointment when only 1 of these guys is left behind the bench 5 years from now?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      I'll bring up a contrarian point of view (because let's be honest, that is kind of what I do)

I'll absolutely agree that is an absolute best-case scenario for UW for the short term. We get 3 quality names that fans can recognizes, that players can recognize, that recruits can recognize. They will surely bring some new life into the team and the facilities. Ticket sales are bound to get a spike from this. We may get a better look at some top-end recruits. UW should be back in position for routine conference titles and in consideration for regular NCAA appearances.

Does anyone see this as a "lifetime appointment" for Tony? Or would he be tempted away by an NHL HC spot?

Situation A - Assuming Tony stays for a while, how long can we keep Don and Oz? Oz has already left us once for an NCAA HC position. Don's desires for an NCAA HC position have been made known. Would both of them stick around for the long haul out of respect/duty/obligation to the Cardinal and White?

Situation B - We see Tony gone after 4-7 years. What does that do for the competition for the vacant HC position? You would have to think that if both Don and Oz are still around that they would both want the spot. Would either be willing to stay and work under the other knowing that it would likely be another 10+ years before he could get his HC show at UW?

I love that this is happening, it is a great thing for the team, university, community, B7G, NCAA, everyone else. But are we setting ourselves up for disappointment when only 1 of these guys is left behind the bench 5 years from now?
                      No need worrying over something until you have reason to. The future will take care of itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

I don't see that being an issue. Having all three of them on the bench may not be what the program needs in 4-7 years. They are EXACTLY what it needs now: big name ambassadors who can show the fanbase that the university is committed to the program regardless of the cost.

Comment

I guess these are reasonable questions. BUT, the consensus had been building before the announcement that we would be happy with any of these 3. So we get all three for a while and then MAYBE it whittles down to 1 or 2. Not a bad problem in my mind.

Comment

so if Granato or OZ decide to bolt after a few years how would that be any different than other asst coaches we bring in here?????

Comment

• Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                              I guess these are reasonable questions. BUT, the consensus had been building before the announcement that we would be happy with any of these 3. So we get all three for a while and then MAYBE it whittles down to 1 or 2. Not a bad problem in my mind.
                              This was my take as well.

Plus, as I understand it, Oz and Don are good friends. And Don and Tony obviously go waaaaaaay back. Whatever might happen down the line I expect to be on good terms.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

the issue isn't them leaving (to me), it's finding a suitable replacement then. That's what Eaves didn't do after Oz and KP left the last time...
                                ---

Comment

Working...
                                X