Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    But...Babcock Dairy!
    I know... if only Babcock Dairy generated $8.1 million in surplus cash every year, maybe we wouldn't have had to settle.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Great hires! Your program should do a 180 in no time. Great news for the B1G and for the great UMN vs UW rivalry!
      One can only hope. I agree that it is a good day for Big 10 hockey and a better competitive balance going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuB View Post
        One can only hope. I agree that it is a good day for Big 10 hockey and a better competitive balance going forward.
        Indeed. I am hoping we get to see some epic battles in the conference moving forward.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

So Q is trying to get into the club while DU and UND are looking to get to 8. Worst of all would be BC joining us at 6. None of these choices are acceptable.

Hate to put undue pressure on a new staff before they even officially take over, but if it's not too much trouble, we need at least 4 straight titles. Thanks.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I am glad to see one of my sources was wrong but the guy I was waiting for a former Wisconsin legend. He never got back to me because he was on Spring Break but I will ask him who the first choice was.

If it's true congrats on the right hire!
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I hope the reported hires are accurate, because my figurative socks are also off!

For the frozen four, I think cheering for Quinnipiac over BC is obvious, then I'm not sure about the other semi. I'd take either Western team over BC, but might be conflicted about cheering for the West vs cheering for a first time champion. At least we win with warm weather and hockey anyway!

Comment

After hearing the news this afternoon, had some time to think. Some random thoughts:

1.) Great hires. Nice job Barry. After being so critical of him and the department for so long, its only fair that we acknowledge the really good moves too.
                2.) This was not something that was put together in the last two weeks. Its one thing to name a coach, but you don't put together a staff in two weeks. Especially if your staff were the front runners for the head coaching position... This has been in the works for four or five weeks now, and I bet Barry knew who the new staff was already going to be before the old coach was fired.
                3.) The biggest thing that always concerned me about the program was that it appeared the athletic department just turned a blind eye to hockey. They gave us the impression that they didn't care if we were successful. I'm not sure what finally broke through, but this hire showed the department finally started listening to the fans. That alone is reassuring. The fact that they then made a proper assessment of what was needed (big time hire that fans could rally behind) and were willing to pay for it (I'm guessing here that this staff did not come cheap) is icing on the cake.
                4.) I wonder what the final straw was when they knew they needed to make big changes? The drubbing by Minnesota, when everyone complained we weren't even competitive anymore? The uproar and subsequent written apology from Barry about the "hockey didn't matter" statement? The attendance? The letters?
                5.) This was nicely timed with addition of Notre Dame to start generating buzz and talk about hockey again. I spent more time reading this forum in last two weeks than I did in the last year. I wonder if there was any pressure on Barry from other big ten schools or BTN to do something to make us relevant again. The last two years haven't done much to generate interest in other big ten schools adding hockey.
                6.) I am interested in what style of play the new staff will bring. Will we go to a more free wheeling type of offense? Will we play a trap on defense? Will we go back to being goaltender university?

Excited for next year already. I haven't said that for way too many years!

Comment

Here's a story from CHN
                  http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...o_to_coach.php
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

I think an AD who was dialed in to hockey would have made moves when it became evident that the team was having more losing seasons than good ones. Alvarez was influenced by empty seats (and revenue) and an outcry that could not be ignored. For him, it was not about failure so much as the appearance of it.

Comment

Brian Posick stated on WIBA this morning that Eaves knew of the firing 2 days before the Penn State game, and didn't let on. Strand stated it didn't affect the teams prep at all and that was a testament to Mike's professionalism.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        I think an AD who was dialed in to hockey would have made moves when it became evident that the team was having more losing seasons than good ones. .
                        Well, that's a matter of what snapshot you use.

The last two years? Two losing records.
                        The last four years? Two winning seasons - with two conference tournament titles - and two losing seasons.
                        The last six years? Three winning, three losing
                        The last eight years? Five winning, three losing

While I have no problem with the change, and agree the falling attendance was likely a factor, it is not as if there was a drought of 6-8-10 years with no success. Were the conference titles enough, given lack of NCAA success when then followed? Was it enough success? Apparently not. But don't forget that in 2013 and 2014 they were hoisting trophies...
                        Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-28-2016, 08:37 AM.
                        St. Norbert College Green Knights
                        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                        ---
                        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

This is the first time in a long, long time that I've actually been excited about Badger Hockey. I keep picturing a scene in my head where Barry and Richter are sitting in a room debating the short list.

"Gee, I don't know. Should we go with Granato or Oz or the other Granato?"

"ahhh, screw it, let's hire all 3"

Looks like a great result.

Comment

Wow......I don't know how this could have turned out any better - you get a head coach that's been an NHL head coach and two assistants that are about as good at developing (Oz and Don) and recruiting (Oz for sure and Don's contacts with USA hockey won't hurt) talent as any staff in the country.

I had two things pop in my mind when I originally heard this:

1- How much did BA have to fork out to get two assistants of this caliber. You'd figure that they'd have to pay the head coach a very good salary to take over this dumpster fire but getting Oz and Don couldn't have been cheap.

2- Since this is pretty much a dream team, do you think Tony calls Howie to see if he's interested in rejoining the program? God knows this team needs as much help between the pipes as possible.
                            Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
                              Wow......I don't know how this could have turned out any better - you get a head coach that's been an NHL head coach and two assistants that are about as good at developing (Oz and Don) and recruiting (Oz for sure and Don's contacts with USA hockey won't hurt) talent as any staff in the country.

I had two things pop in my mind when I originally heard this:

1- How much did BA have to fork out to get two assistants of this caliber. You'd figure that they'd have to pay the head coach a very good salary to take over this dumpster fire but getting Oz and Don couldn't have been cheap.

2- Since this is pretty much a dream team, do you think Tony calls Howie to see if he's interested in rejoining the program? God knows this team needs as much help between the pipes as possible.
                              Does anyone know what Howie is doing now or where he is living. I think Oz and Howie served together for a number of years, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Bisquit View Post
                                Does anyone know what Howie is doing now or where he is living. I think Oz and Howie served together for a number of years, correct?
                                Howie was on staff until 2008, and Oz from '04 until '10, so yes. Howie still runs camps and clinics so he's still involved. See here:http://www.greatgoalies.net/home.html

I'd put the chances of Howie returning at between 0% and 2%. But that's just my thoughts, I don't have any real hard info to go on.

Whether Jurussic will be the guy or not, who knows? But I do think he has real talent. Easy to forget a guy like Els was 21 before he saw any sustained action in net. Matt's awfully young yet.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X