Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I agree, though I wish I knew more about the baggage with oz
    My friend in the know said he was fired for wanting more resources for the hockey and complaining about it. Someone else said he wanted a practice facility specifically.

I like oz, but it's not knock my socks off.

He also stated Coughlin wouldn't come.....
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
      I would also be very happy with Don, but I don't think this job is his final destination.
      This is an excellent point. Since Oz has landed in the ranks of the NHL system, I wonder if he got a taste that he would want fulfill as a head coach someday in the NHL. I guess no one will be here forever, but I'd like to see the next guy be @ UW 6-8 years minimum.

I find the guy from Penicton, Harbinson, facinating. If he were to come he should bring is top assistant with him, that guys is in charge of recruiting - Cawley. Surely the UW job would pay as well as his current gig. The 70% winning percentage speaks volumes of their ability to evaluate and secure talent.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Nice to see one of my college teams winning a National Championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
          Sounds like you really know what you're talking about. It's not like Cogs has turned down D1 coaching offers in the past or has any recruiting connections in western Canada. Remember when SNC tied the Badgers (after SNC had the game winning goal disallowed) in a game that UW insisted be closed to the public?

And there is no letter U in his last name.
          Coghlin turned down Fairbanks because he wasn't willing to make the commitment before his work for the season was complete. Much the same way as his coach at UWSP, Mark Mazzoleni had done when he was approached about D-1 jobs. Mazzoleni end up eventually joining Minnesota as an assistant before moving on to the head coaching positions with Miami & Harvard.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Coghlin turned down Fairbanks because he wasn't willing to make the commitment before his work for the season was complete. Much the same way as his coach at UWSP, Mark Mazzoleni had done when he was approached about D-1 jobs. Mazzoleni end up eventually joining Minnesota as an assistant before moving on to the head coaching positions with Miami & Harvard.
            Espn's Buccigross says he's heard BA focusing on Oz or Don

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              This is an excellent point. Since Oz has landed in the ranks of the NHL system, I wonder if he got a taste that he would want fulfill as a head coach someday in the NHL. I guess no one will be here forever, but I'd like to see the next guy be @ UW 6-8 years minimum.

I find the guy from Penicton, Harbinson, facinating. If he were to come he should bring is top assistant with him, that guys is in charge of recruiting - Cawley. Surely the UW job would pay as well as his current gig. The 70% winning percentage speaks volumes of their ability to evaluate and secure talent.
              Agree that it could be a stepping stone for Oz just as easily as it could be for the Don.

While obviously it's preferable to hire someone who will be here and be successful for 15+ years, I think the priority is to get the program back on track asap. Even if someone is here for only 4 years, if they get back to the NCAA's right away and put together a FF run and recruit well, we're back in business and can take it from there pretty easily.

On Coghlin, there's no doubt he's a great hockey coach, but frankly that's only part of the job. Hockey people that know Mike Eaves pretty much all agree he has one of the best hockey minds around, and if it was just showing up and teaching hockey he'd probably still be in charge. Recruiting and to a much lesser extent, PR, are major factors and recruiting is where we really don't know how Coghlin would stack up on the D-1 level, especially with 16-17 year old superstars. He may be the most awesome guy ever, I wouldn't argue it, but this is no time to experiment.

I do find it amusing how much weight Coghlin fans want to give tying (or beating, or almost beating... Whatever.) the worst UW team in history in a closed scrimmage game. Don't care if the Norby's beat UW 15-1. It doesn't matter one lick. If they played a game every year for the last 15 years, and I mean real games that actually count for something, and giving SNC all benefit of any doubt, MAYBE they are 1-14. In any case it's no basis for hiring a coach. If it were, the target is obviously Matt Loen at UWEC who played two actual games against a D-1 opponent this year to draws and waxed SNC 5-1 in the final. But I suspect UW isn't hiring him either.

Happy Easter, Badgers. Hope you all find something great in your baskets.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

It would be very interesting to see how Osiecki & Alvarez would get along over the long haul. Mark is very steadfast when he believes something to be right. Would a strong willed hockey coach mesh with the AD here?
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  I do find it amusing how much weight Coghlin fans want to give tying (or beating, or almost beating... Whatever.) the worst UW team in history in a closed scrimmage game. Don't care if the Norby's beat UW 15-1. It doesn't matter one lick. If they played a game every year for the last 15 years, and I mean real games that actually count for something, and giving SNC all benefit of any doubt, MAYBE they are 1-14. In any case it's no basis for hiring a coach. If it were, the target is obviously Matt Loen at UWEC who played two actual games against a D-1 opponent this year to draws and waxed SNC 5-1 in the final. But I suspect UW isn't hiring him either.

Happy Easter, Badgers. Hope you all find something great in your baskets.
                  They played Arizona State... And they didn't beat SNC 5-1 in the final. That would be UWSP, not UWEC.

Happy Easter to you and everyone else!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    On Coghlin, there's no doubt he's a great hockey coach, but frankly that's only part of the job. Hockey people that know Mike Eaves pretty much all agree he has one of the best hockey minds around, and if it was just showing up and teaching hockey he'd probably still be in charge. Recruiting and to a much lesser extent, PR, are major factors and recruiting is where we really don't know how Coghlin would stack up on the D-1 level, especially with 16-17 year old superstars. He may be the most awesome guy ever, I wouldn't argue it, but this is no time to experiment.

Anyone who thinks Coghlin wouldn't be successful at the UW or any of the other committed DI schools is a fool. he'd be a fine choice, but as others have mentioned, I'm not sure he would want it and I'm not sure that he would be the right person to take on what is as much a fanbase rebuilding process as a hockey team rebuilding process at UW. All three of MJ, DG, and Oz can speak to fans about the great days of UW hockey past and get the fans to listen because many people still remember those great badger teams of the past. Coghlin does not have the same name recognition which UW needs more now than ever.

In the parity among DI schools has increased significantly over the past 15 to 20 years. That parity has also impacted D3, where the top D3 conferences are as good on a yearly basis as AHA and SNC would likely be able to hold their own in a conference like the current WCHA.

Comment

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 3m3 minutes ago
                      Multiple sources tell me Tony Granato will be the next Head Hockey Coach at Wisconsin. Brother Donny will likely join him on staff.
                      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                      https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                        John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 3m3 minutes ago
                        Multiple sources tell me Tony Granato will be the next Head Hockey Coach at Wisconsin. Brother Donny will likely join him on staff.
                        holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! That would certainly knock MY socks off!!!!

EDIT: I'm sorry for all of the negativity Barry, if this http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/27/sour...granato-coach/

is true, you just hit a grand ****ing slam w/long-time Wisconsin Hockey fans!
                        Last edited by solovsfett; 03-27-2016, 11:06 AM.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Woah
                          http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/27/sour...granato-coach/

Comment

• My socks just got knocked off and flew out the ********** window...

Comment

The Granato Brothers AND Oz? Wow

Comment

Holy ****balls.

I may have permanent injuries from the explosions that just occurred at my feet.

Well done, Richter (presumably).
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X