PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

solovsfett
03-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Posick hinted on Twitter that we should know the next head coach next Thursday or Friday.

Excited for the "knock your socks off moment"!!!!!

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2016, 10:35 AM
He also said on some radio show (per a poster on another forum) that it's 99% likely to be an alum. So, be prepared for it to come from one of our shortlists.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Since it came up, John Hamre news: https://twitter.com/LetsPlay_Hockey/status/712721582448201729

Almington
03-26-2016, 10:50 AM
He also said on some radio show (per a poster on another forum) that it's 99% likely to be an alum. So, be prepared for it to come from one of our shortlists.

It's either going to be MJ, Oz or Don in that case.

I don't think any would be a wrong choice, but I think Granato would be the best choice since he has no ties to either of the previous coaching staffs. My sense is that public opinion feels MJ has earned the opportunity with his success with the Lady's team, but the fear is that you don't mess with a top 3 program.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm pulling for Granato, expecting it to be Oz.

I'm not worried about Johnson becoming unhappy with his position if he doesn't get the Men's job, but I'll acknowledge that it's a distinct possibility.

Almington
03-26-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm pulling for Granato, expecting it to be Oz.

I'm not worried about Johnson becoming unhappy with his position if he doesn't get the Men's job, but I'll acknowledge that it's a distinct possibility.

I think that the risk is that another school offers Johnson a men's HC job and he takes it. If he doesn't get this men's job, they need to consider giving him equal pay to the men's coach, IMHO.

Don 35%
MJ 33%
Oz 30%
Other 2%

I just don't see many cases where at least one of those 3 would not take the job.

Gurtholfin
03-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I think that the risk is that another school offers Johnson a men's HC job and he takes it.

I would think he's had those opportunities by now if anyone wanted him. He's won titles, been an Olympic coach...

My guess is that either no one's come calling or he's simply not interested.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2016, 11:34 AM
I would think he's had those opportunities by now if anyone wanted him. He's won titles, been an Olympic coach...

My guess is that either no one's come calling or he's simply not interested.That's not true. He was offered the Penn State job. And showed a lot of integrity in turning it down.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2011/04/johnson-couldve-gone-to-hockey-valley.html

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2011/04/commitment-passion-integrity.html

... okay, so maybe "he's simply not interested" is a perfectly viable answer.

Happy
03-26-2016, 12:07 PM
That's not true. He was offered the Penn State job. And showed a lot of integrity in turning it down.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2011/04/johnson-couldve-gone-to-hockey-valley.html

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2011/04/commitment-passion-integrity.html

... okay, so maybe "he's simply not interested" is a perfectly viable answer.

or, he negotiated a bigger payraise at his current job.

BuB
03-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Just throwing this out there for discussions sake....

Tim Coughlin's team will be playing for a NC on Saturday night. He would then be able to negotiate for the UW position without any interference. I'm sure they could get that done by Thursday or Friday, as Posick speculated.

This would also check the now almost mystical "knock your socks off" box.....I know it would not be an "alum" hire as previously stated.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-26-2016, 01:12 PM
I forgot how long ago it was in this thread, but I think we have already debunked that idea.

Coughlin is going nowhere.

solovsfett
03-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Just throwing this out there for discussions sake....

Tim Coughlin's team will be playing for a NC on Saturday night. He would then be able to negotiate for the UW position without any interference. I'm sure they could get that done by Thursday or Friday, as Posick speculated.

This would also check the now almost mystical "knock your socks off" box.....I know it would not be an "alum" hire as previously stated.

A few people mention coughlin's name but I don't get it. Has he attempted to coach d1? Can he recruit top flight talent in Canada and Minnesota?

I think Granato and oz fit those bills betters based on past and current employment, though I prefer DG to oz

Gurtholfin
03-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Yeah... he's done a great job at SN, but certainly wouldn't knock my socks off.

Timothy A
03-26-2016, 02:53 PM
A few people mention coughlin's name but I don't get it. Has he attempted to coach d1? Can he recruit top flight talent in Canada and Minnesota?

If you look at his roster, it reads like a D1 roster in that the players are from all over the US, Canada and a guy from Sweden. I don't know how much "recruiting" actually does on in D3.

The Hallucination
03-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Apparently the big rumor from my grandma in Verona is that it's Chelios. I don't know if random people in Verona who my grandma talks to know anything, though, so just a rumor... But what is the internet for if not wild rumor-mongering? These grandparents did go to hockey for years, but probably about two decades ago.

I think Granato, Oz, and Johnson would still be more likely. Granato would likely be my pick of those three, but I'd not be unhappy with any, I think. Cheli would be an odd pick.

GBBadger14
03-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Apparently the big rumor from my grandma in Verona is that it's Chelios. I don't know if random people in Verona who my grandma talks to know anything, though, so just a rumor... But what is the internet for if not wild rumor-mongering? These grandparents did go to hockey for years, but probably about two decades ago.

I think Granato, Oz, and Johnson would still be more likely. Granato would likely be my pick of those three, but I'd not be unhappy with any, I think. Cheli would be an odd pick.

I think that would qualify as "knock your socks off".

Gurtholfin
03-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Chelios would be a disastrous choice.

Badger Booster
03-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Maybe on the staff, but as the head coach? Talk about blowing up this thread..

solovsfett
03-26-2016, 04:55 PM
If you look at his roster, it reads like a D1 roster in that the players are from all over the US, Canada and a guy from Sweden. I don't know how much "recruiting" actually does on in D3.

Gotcha, thanks

solovsfett
03-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Chelios would be a disastrous choice.

He's coaching with the red wings now. I'm guessing he'd shape the d but if they're using richter's consulting group I'm pretty sure Richter wasn't fond of Cheli's uhm ...partying

Just curios though, why do you feel Celios would be a disaster? He's an HOF NHL'er and I'm guessing name recognition would get recruits in madison