Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Personally I think it's a bull**** move. We snub traditions like the old WCHA (ND, CC, DU UMD, etc), start the BTHC for BTN, then add these guys? **** 'em.

"Show me the money."
    For me who the 8th is will be telling. Once the WCHA added UNO and Bemidji, it stopped being attractive to me. One of the biggest initial attraction of the Big 6 was the flexibility to schedule quality non conference opponents, and generally we have done that (North Dakota, Denver, BC, BU, etc.). If you add a Miami as the eight...I'm pretty happy. If you add ASU...yuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Personally I think it's a bull**** move. We snub traditions like the old WCHA (ND, CC, DU UMD, etc), start the BTHC for BTN, then add these guys? **** 'em.

"Show me the money."
      Yeah, this is rubbing salt in the wound.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
        If you add ASU...yuck.
        Posted back when Bryan Adams got his first real six string. ( I believe it came from the five and dime.)

Originally posted by Original WCHA Members- MTU, DU, CC, UMICH, MI St, MN, UMD,

Add Wisconsin?

Yuck.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

When Notre Dame voted on joining the Big Ten as a full member in '99 or so, the faculty senate voted yes because of the academic benefits of joining the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. It was the board of trustees that voted down the invitation.

Not sure if Johns Hopkins would be invited to join the CIC but it would be an intriguing move. Notre Dame less so since it's not a research-focused school (a lot of the research at Big Ten schools that involves subjects like stem cell research wouldn't fly at Notre Dame given that it's a Catholic school).

I've thrown my towel in on the traditions. They're dead, we just have to deal with it.

Comment

Pretend that the WCHA and those traditions never existed coz they're never coming back.

With that in mind - if this is happening in a vacuum - is adding Notre Dame to our existing 6 team conference a good thing?

Of course it is.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not going to complain about it. If Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, etc. aren't doing it anytime soon, then Notre Dame as an affiliate is a pretty ideal fit.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                For me who the 8th is will be telling. Once the WCHA added UNO and Bemidji, it stopped being attractive to me.
                Me as well, but I take it a step further, I disliked it when SCSU joined. I don't think it's a necessity to have an 8th team. The 7th team doesn't make the playoffs. Other than UW's improbable WCHA tourney win a few years ago, the top 2 teams win the tourney anyway.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Me as well, but I take it a step further, I disliked it when SCSU joined.
                  A different perspective for all the changes we've seen... a lot of people might have thought that when SCSU (or Mankato, etc.) joined. And look where they were by the end of the WCHA.

I might only sort of care about Michigan and Michigan State. Ohio State, Notre Dame and that one program who's athletic department should've been dismantled 4 years ago... they don't mean much to me now. But in 10 years time? We very well might look at them the same way we looked at SCSU five years ago.

I don't think it's a necessity to have an 8th team. The 7th team doesn't make the playoffs. Other than UW's improbable WCHA tourney win a few years ago, the top 2 teams win the tourney anyway.
                  OR 1st seed hosts the semis and finals and seeds 2-4 host 5-7 in the quarters?
                  Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-23-2016, 04:24 PM.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Me as well, but I take it a step further, I disliked it when SCSU joined. I don't think it's a necessity to have an 8th team. The 7th team doesn't make the playoffs. Other than UW's improbable WCHA tourney win a few years ago, the top 2 teams win the tourney anyway.
                    Agreed. If they have to go 8, and the NCHC poach rumor is true, I'd hope it's NoDak or Duluth. I'd even prefer Tech to Omaha or SCSU - just stay at 7. Repeating myself; but, I really hope they don't go to more than 24 conf games if they go to 8 teams - any more reduces the non-conference schedule, and I'd like to still see Duluth, NoDak and Tech every few years.

Comment

• OR 1st seed hosts the semis and finals and seeds 2-4 host 5-7 in the quarters?
                      I say get to 8, best of 3 quarterfinals on campus sites, then semis and championship at a neutral site, like Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Pretend that the WCHA and those traditions never existed coz they're never coming back.

With that in mind - if this is happening in a vacuum - is adding Notre Dame to our existing 6 team conference a good thing?

Of course it is.
                        I smell what you're cookin', but we were told the Big Ten HC will be Big Ten schools. We all knew it wouldn't be more than 6, and 6 sucks, but to me it was like giving the eff yoo to those aforementioned teams. In a vacuum, Notre Dame fine; but ASU for christsakes? As long as the BTHC now wants to add "non-conference" teams, why not go back begging to NoDak, DU, CC, UMD and other strong hockey schools?

I know, I know. It will never happen, but I've never been a fan of the Bi6, errr Bi7 HC.

Get off my lawn.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Flip the current tournament on its head:

Top 2 seeds host a single elimination quarterfinals (1st place with bye if just 7 teams) and semifinals. Top remaining seed hosts final two in best of three for the championship.

Comment

I smell what you're cookin', but we were told the Big Ten HC will be Big Ten schools. We all knew it wouldn't be more than 6, and 6 sucks, but to me it was like giving the eff yoo to those aforementioned teams. In a vacuum, Notre Dame fine; but ASU for christsakes? As long as the BTHC now wants to add "non-conference" teams, why not go back begging to NoDak, DU, CC, UMD and other strong hockey schools?

I know, I know. It will never happen, but I've never been a fan of the Bi6, errr Bi7 HC.

Get off my lawn.
                            Well, if another B1G school gets hockey for '17 or maybe '18 then ASU is probably out. So there is really some (small) chance of keeping to the long held traditions of the Big 10.

For example Rutgers could come up with money for a program.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

"Show me the money."
                              Keep in mind, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Michigan State were long time members of the WCHA. The realignment has been tough getting used to, but I try to remember that this isn't the first major conference shake up and probably won't be the last. It will take some time getting used to, but I believe a time will come when these rivalries grow and it feels like the new normal.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I was against this big 6 conference from the beginning but it's here to stay.

I will say I can easily develop a hate for Rudy and the gold helmets, in fact I am there already.....
                                Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-23-2016, 06:50 PM.
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X