PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Wisko McBadgerton
03-22-2016, 09:41 PM
And the addition of ND begs the question, who will be school #8? With 7, someone is always playing a NC series each week.

It is all but a certainty it will be ASU in '17-'18.

UWisco
03-22-2016, 09:53 PM

Posick said something about Omaha on Twitter.

Almington
03-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Posick said something about Omaha on Twitter.

Rather have ASU. I can't imagine that NU would be ok with that either. Might as well add UMD too.

RedFreak
03-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Wow, talk about tradition. :rolleyes:

GBBadger14
03-22-2016, 11:24 PM
I could see Omaha or Miami, with ASU going to the NCHC. I think I'd prefer Miami. At least keep things in the Big Ten footprint.

badger79
03-23-2016, 12:15 AM
Haven't posted here in a long time, my heart has kind of been ripped to shreds the last couple years. The Eaves firing made me sit up a bit and the Notre Dame news has brought me out of hibernation. The Big Ten had to do something, and this might be a little kick in the pants.

ASU being the eighth team would actually make some sense to me. Arizona has a ton of transplants from the Upper Midwest, or all the retirees from Minnesota/Wisconsin who spend their winters there. They could actually get some solid crowds down there, just like when the Packers or Vikings play in the desert.

Or, maybe Iowa or Illinois is ready to make the jump. Illinois is throwing cash at Lovie Smith for football. Who knows? Maybe they're finally ready to pretend they care about athletics.

Timothy A
03-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Adding UND to the B6 puts even more pressure on the UW program to improve. It also takes away 4 n/c games, which is a-ok as long as they replace the Alaska's and Ferris St.s of the world and keep scheduling DU, the sue, Tech and some quality eastern teams on a regular basis.

robertearle
03-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Back when the Big Ten was getting ready to expand from eleven to twelve and then to fourteen, one part of the consideration was (believe it or not) a school's membership - or lack thereof - in the "Association of American Universities". The Big Ten is (or was) the only conference in the country whose members were all also members of the Association. Not even the Ivy League could boast such a thing. And when Rutgers and Maryland were added, there were indeed already members of the AAU.

(Shorty after their joining the Big Ten, U of Nebraska lost their AAU membership over some dispute concerning their Med School being too far "off campus" or some such. So at the moment, only 13 or the 14 are current members.)

So I was going to point out that neither Ariz State nor Nebraska-Omaha are AAU members. Then I was going to say "maybe the Big Ten won't be as strict with 'affiliated members' as they are with full members...". But when I was checking the list of AAU members to see if ASU was there, I saw that Notre Dame is also (surpisingly) not a member.

So I guess that they are in fact not as strict with "affiliated members".

(This also means I have to update a favorite 'bar' trivia question: it now goes "name the SIXteen schools that compete for Big Ten sports championships". Answer is the regular fourteen, now Notre Dame, and ... Johns Hopkins, affiliated member for lacrosse)

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-23-2016, 12:18 PM
The use of the word "sports" makes that bit of trivia tricky. The University of Chicago still participates in the academic Big Ten, so a weaselly fellow might say that there are 17 schools competing for Big Ten titles.

MadCityRich
03-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Personally I think it's a bull**** move. We snub traditions like the old WCHA (ND, CC, DU UMD, etc), start the BTHC for BTN, then add these guys? **** 'em.

"Show me the money."

markwojo
03-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Personally I think it's a bull**** move. We snub traditions like the old WCHA (ND, CC, DU UMD, etc), start the BTHC for BTN, then add these guys? **** 'em.

"Show me the money."

For me who the 8th is will be telling. Once the WCHA added UNO and Bemidji, it stopped being attractive to me. One of the biggest initial attraction of the Big 6 was the flexibility to schedule quality non conference opponents, and generally we have done that (North Dakota, Denver, BC, BU, etc.). If you add a Miami as the eight...I'm pretty happy. If you add ASU...yuck.

RedFreak
03-23-2016, 12:54 PM

"Show me the money."

Yeah, this is rubbing salt in the wound.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-23-2016, 01:24 PM
If you add ASU...yuck.

Posted back when Bryan Adams got his first real six string. ( I believe it came from the five and dime.)

Add Wisconsin?

Yuck.

badger79
03-23-2016, 02:09 PM
When Notre Dame voted on joining the Big Ten as a full member in '99 or so, the faculty senate voted yes because of the academic benefits of joining the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. It was the board of trustees that voted down the invitation.

Not sure if Johns Hopkins would be invited to join the CIC but it would be an intriguing move. Notre Dame less so since it's not a research-focused school (a lot of the research at Big Ten schools that involves subjects like stem cell research wouldn't fly at Notre Dame given that it's a Catholic school).

I've thrown my towel in on the traditions. They're dead, we just have to deal with it.

Gurtholfin
03-23-2016, 02:45 PM

Pretend that the WCHA and those traditions never existed coz they're never coming back.

With that in mind - if this is happening in a vacuum - is adding Notre Dame to our existing 6 team conference a good thing?

Of course it is.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I'm not going to complain about it. If Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, etc. aren't doing it anytime soon, then Notre Dame as an affiliate is a pretty ideal fit.

Timothy A
03-23-2016, 04:15 PM
For me who the 8th is will be telling. Once the WCHA added UNO and Bemidji, it stopped being attractive to me.

Me as well, but I take it a step further, I disliked it when SCSU joined. I don't think it's a necessity to have an 8th team. The 7th team doesn't make the playoffs. Other than UW's improbable WCHA tourney win a few years ago, the top 2 teams win the tourney anyway.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-23-2016, 04:21 PM
Me as well, but I take it a step further, I disliked it when SCSU joined.
A different perspective for all the changes we've seen... a lot of people might have thought that when SCSU (or Mankato, etc.) joined. And look where they were by the end of the WCHA.

I might only sort of care about Michigan and Michigan State. Ohio State, Notre Dame and that one program who's athletic department should've been dismantled 4 years ago... they don't mean much to me now. But in 10 years time? We very well might look at them the same way we looked at SCSU five years ago.

I don't think it's a necessity to have an 8th team. The 7th team doesn't make the playoffs. Other than UW's improbable WCHA tourney win a few years ago, the top 2 teams win the tourney anyway.

OR 1st seed hosts the semis and finals and seeds 2-4 host 5-7 in the quarters?

LordofBrewtown
03-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Me as well, but I take it a step further, I disliked it when SCSU joined. I don't think it's a necessity to have an 8th team. The 7th team doesn't make the playoffs. Other than UW's improbable WCHA tourney win a few years ago, the top 2 teams win the tourney anyway.

Agreed. If they have to go 8, and the NCHC poach rumor is true, I'd hope it's NoDak or Duluth. I'd even prefer Tech to Omaha or SCSU - just stay at 7. Repeating myself; but, I really hope they don't go to more than 24 conf games if they go to 8 teams - any more reduces the non-conference schedule, and I'd like to still see Duluth, NoDak and Tech every few years.

GBBadger14
03-23-2016, 04:48 PM
OR 1st seed hosts the semis and finals and seeds 2-4 host 5-7 in the quarters?

I say get to 8, best of 3 quarterfinals on campus sites, then semis and championship at a neutral site, like Chicago.