Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora University is adding a D3 women's team in 2017-18

Official announcement

http://athletics.aurora.edu/news/2016/3/7/womens-hockey-aurora-university-announces-addition-of-womens-ice-hockey-as-varsity-sport-starting-in-2017-2018.aspx

Re: Aurora University is adding a D3 women's team in 2017-18

Awesome news.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
      Fixed your link. A little surprising that they haven't played any women's hockey at the club level (even at ACHA D2) and are making the jump right to NCAA D3. I see that for the men they've had NCAA D3 and a ACHA D3 team and will be adding an ACHA D2 team (for three men's hockey teams total).

Meanwhile at the women's ACHA D1 level I see that Miami University just won the national tournament for the second time in the past three years, so you wonder if they might be thinking about going NCAA D3 also?
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Fixed your link. A little surprising that they haven't played any women's hockey at the club level (even at their D2) and are making the jump right to NCAA D3. I see that for the men they've had NCAA D3 and a ACHA D3 team and will be adding an ACHA D2 team (for three men's hockey teams total).

Meanwhile at the women's ACHA D1 level I see that Miami University just won the national tournament for the second time in the past three years, so you wonder if they might be thinking about going NCAA D3 also?
        I do not believe that Miami can go D-3. Nor would they want to.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          I do not believe that Miami can go D-3. Nor would they want to.
          Seems to be ongoing confusion amongst some posters about D1 vs D3. Schools are now D1, D2, or D3 in all sports - no option to pick your division in 1 sport vs another. There are very few grandfathered exceptions. Miami is a D1 school - they can't play down.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            Seems to be ongoing confusion amongst some posters about D1 vs D3. Schools are now D1, D2, or D3 in all sports - no option to pick your division in 1 sport vs another. There are very few grandfathered exceptions. Miami is a D1 school - they can't play down.
            I figured that all went away.

Even so, even if they could, given the rest of their athletic department, I would bet a beer that Miami would have less than zero interest in playing Division III, given their facility.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Fixed your link. A little surprising that they haven't played any women's hockey at the club level (even at ACHA D2) and are making the jump right to NCAA D3. I see that for the men they've had NCAA D3 and a ACHA D3 team and will be adding an ACHA D2 team (for three men's hockey teams total).

Clarkson never had a club program or D3 program and jumped right in at D1. It worked pretty well for them.

Congrats to Aurora, even though I have never heard of the school. More hockey being played is good for our sport.
              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
              7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

St. Norbert College jumped right in, has made playoffs every year, played in 3 Conference Championships, winning in 2013 to taste the NCAA's. Unfortunately SNC lost against Adrian in Championship this year. Aurora is going to be very good very fast in women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                  Clarkson never had a club program or D3 program and jumped right in at D1. It worked pretty well for them.

Congrats to Aurora, even though I have never heard of the school. More hockey being played is good for our sport.
                  My guess is the poster might be confusing Clarkson's early years to when they played some Division III schools. I believe at the time they played Elmira for sure and potentially RIT/Plattsburgh as well?

I just checked and in Clarkson's first varsity season they played eight games against Division III schools in Elmira, Middlebury, Plattsburgh, Colby, Bowdoin, Utica. Elmira and Plattsburgh were twice.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    I would say there are more than a few exceptions. Anyone know the real reasons the NCAA did this?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      I would say there are more than a few exceptions.
                      Looking at just Minnesota, the University of Minnesota is the only school that's D1 in all sports. Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota State-Mankato are D1 in hockey only.

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      Anyone know the real reasons the NCAA did this?
                      I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question as well. Also when they put in the rule.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Looking at just Minnesota, the University of Minnesota is the only school that's D1 in all sports. Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota State-Mankato are D1 in hockey only.
                        The programs don't rely on the grandfathered exception to be D1 in hockey only. They are all D2 schools in other sports, and since there is no D2 hockey, either men's or women's, they are allowed to play D1. They probably would get the grandfathered exception if they needed it, but any other school that is D2 in all other sports would be allowed to play D1 hockey.

Comment

So with the addition of Northland next year...that puts us at 59 teams. Does that mean a 9th slot in the NCAA tournament. Definitely with Aurora joinging and getting us to 60, there should be 9.

Its too bad these teams can't join the WIAC to get them closer to an autobid
                          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                            So with the addition of Northland next year...that puts us at 59 teams. Does that mean a 9th slot in the NCAA tournament. Definitely with Aurora joinging and getting us to 60, there should be 9.

Its too bad these teams can't join the WIAC to get them closer to an autobid
                            Don't forget about Lebanon Valley too.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Don't forget about Lebanon Valley too.
                              Based on the number of open dates LV has posted for both genders on the AHCA board, it looks like even the other hockey schools forgot about Lebanon Valley

Comment

Working...
                              X