Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowell/Providence Hockey East Semi Final (3/18) – Alliance Suspended!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell/Providence Hockey East Semi Final (3/18) – Alliance Suspended!

Fantastic quarter final weekend and now a few days off until we all invade the bars and restaurants of Causeway and Canal streets for the Hockey East semis. Lowell's been a regular the last three years, winning 2 out of 3 titles.

Meanwhile, PC doesn't make it to the Garden last year and yet, wins National title.

So for the next few days, The Alliance is on hiatus. Looking forward to Friday!
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Re: Lowell/Providence Hockey East Semi Final (3/18) – Alliance Suspended!

Lowell and Providence play at 5:00 Friday as just announced by Hockey East. So everyone call in sick or take the afternoon off and get yourself to Boston!
    Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

BC picked the late game? Most of the time the top seed chooses to play early so as to get the extra rest.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
        BC picked the late game? Most of the time the top seed chooses to play early so as to get the extra rest.
        What the #1 seed wants doesn't matter, they have no say in what time they play. It is all decided between HE and tv as we found out and were told in the past. Believe me this is what I thought was the case too with the #1 deciding and have been told in no uncertain terms they do not get the choice.
        Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

ah.

I was just excited for a minute because I thought we'd get the late game and I could take my time getting to the Garden for once.

Comment

Glad I had already decided to put in for a 1pm departure Friday Can be on Causeway by 2
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com
            Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
            "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
              Lowell and Providence play at 5:00 Friday as just announced by Hockey East. So everyone call in sick or take the afternoon off and get yourself to Boston!
              I think I'd have to call in dead... would take awhile
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

It would make a lot more sense to play the semi's on Saturday and the final on Sunday. I know they want the Sunday evening selection show to be like basketball so maybe you could play at 1 and 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday or something like that. Not a great look for the league to play the first half of game 1 in front of only the player's close friends and family.
                2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                  It would make a lot more sense to play the semi's on Saturday and the final on Sunday. I know they want the Sunday evening selection show to be like basketball so maybe you could play at 1 and 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday or something like that. Not a great look for the league to play the first half of game 1 in front of only the player's close friends and family.
                  There's no way conferences are going to go for 1:00 and 4:00 games on Saturday instead of a 7:00 game. And it would have to be all the conferences, because they all have the same tournament schedule of Friday semis and Saturday finals, not just Hockey East.

It also wrinkles selection, since the possibility of a multi-overtime hockey game on the same day as selection deciding whether a team is in (via autobid) or out is much greater in hockey than in basketball where only the biggest conferences play finals the same day and since those conferences already have 5-7 teams getting into the tournament it's rare that a team is stealing an autobid in those games.
                  Last edited by tape; 03-14-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I don't know, Lowell seemed to show up for the 5 PM games the last few years (we were the 5 last year as well if i recall correctly?) just fine. Providence fans that are going to attend will attend regardless of time I would expect.
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

The selection show is usually at 11:30am or noon.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        The selection show is usually at 11:30am or noon.
                        Well that makes my idea impossible. I didn't know that since I haven't paid much attention to it since 2009.

I think ideally the semi's would get the best attendence at 5 and 8 on Saturday. Of course that can't happen with the early Sunday selection show and the reasons you all stated above.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

What's the Providence fan sense of how many they'll have at Friday's game? Lowell always packs their sections in the loge, balcony, and beyond but I recall a couple years back when the two met, it was hard to find many identifiable PC fans in the bowl. There were some but not as many as I thought would've been there. Renewed and stronger interest in the team based upon last year's national title has perhaps changed that (I was the title game last year at the Garden and there were tons of PC fans) so any thoughts on PC numbers Friday?
                          Last edited by riverchief1; 03-15-2016, 09:56 AM.
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

What's the Providence fan sense of how many they'll have at Friday's game? Lowell always packs their sections in the loge, balcony, and beyond but I recall a couple years back when the two met, it was hard to find many identifiable PC fans in the bowl. There were some but not as many as I thought would've been there. Renewed and stronger interest in the team based upon last year's national title has perhaps changed that (I was the title game last year at the Garden and there were tons of PC fans) so any thoughts on PC numbers Friday?
                            The question is probably whether they are up against squeakyball, but that looks to be Thursday evening in Raleigh NC, so maybe that won't be an issue this year
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Mark Divver of Projo tweeted Voss and Shea to be refs Friday

When will HEA figure out only games Voss should see are ones he buys tickets to
                              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Working...
                              X