Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A New Coach for UMass...

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Generally speaking, what is the average of a coaching salary in college hockey?
    $373k according to this website. I have no idea where they get their numbers though.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the...tml/?a=viewall

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
      $373k according to this website. I have no idea where they get their numbers though.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the...tml/?a=viewall
      That probably represents 'total compensation.' I would guess the average salary is somewhere a little north of $200K.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I'm not sure what the average is. I always figured somewhere in the 250k range?

I checked that Herald site, and here is what Norm makes at Lowell:

2015 $321,794.00 Gross Earnings $335,262.00
        2014 $323,869.00 (No Gross listed)
        2013 $265,750.16 Gross Earnings $289,518.47

He got an extension following the Frozen Four appearance in 2013 to push him over 300k. Not sure how much of his salary is incentive based, he might get more or less for 20 win seasons, NCAA appearances, etc. Maybe even a percentage of ticket sales?

Regardless, if Lowell can afford to pay their coach that kind of coin, why couldn't Amherst? The only reason I can think of is ticket sales.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opi...partment_name=

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
          if Lowell can afford to pay their coach that kind of coin, why couldn't Amherst? The only reason I can think of is
          I'm sure they can, they just were unable to convince anyone worth that kind of money to take the job last time. Don't need to give Micheletto $300k, when he'd do the job just as well/bad for $200k.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
            I'm sure they can, they just were unable to convince anyone worth that kind of money to take the job last time.
            And there's every reason to believe this will be the same problem this time around as well.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Believe someone said there is a new AD this time. That helps. Plus failing miserably with micheletto could lead to them bumping up salary even more. Wasn't lowell hockey on the brink of folding towards the end of mcdonald tenure? I really couldn't care less about umass, it's funny to see them suck so bad. But it's a good enough job where they should be a lot better.

Comment

Also, I think there was a decided lack of effort the last time, they wound up having to settle, and look where that got them. With a new AD and consecutive sucky years, I would imagine they wouldn't half-*** the search and take it more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Believe someone said there is a new AD this time. That helps. Plus failing miserably with micheletto could lead to them bumping up salary even more. Wasn't lowell hockey on the brink of folding towards the end of mcdonald tenure? I really couldn't care less about umass, it's funny to see them suck so bad. But it's a good enough job where they should be a lot better.
                  They can bump up the salary all they want ... in the end, they would have to use it to lure someone already succeeding in a job, who when push comes to shove isn't going to use it as leverage with their current employer (i.e. Umile, Pecknold, now possibly Bennett) and will actually arrive on campus to do the job. Otherwise, the big salary is only going to help you maybe with pro retread coaches, who might use your program as a stepping stone, or a weigh station to park at while they try to revive interest in them at the next level.

Realistically, unless UMass catches lightning in a bottle with a quality experienced D-1 head coach who suddenly and unexpectedly becomes available ... their best route is still going to be to find the next Walshy, Leaman, or Bazin before they become that superstar coach. And they won't need huge dollars to get that guy into his first top job. And if it works out, then they will have a battle on their hands to retain that coach long-term. But at least they will have established something, which is something UMass has yet to do in the however many years they've been splashing around in the HE "kiddie pool". Their issue isn't as much dollars as it is lack of any history of success at the program.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Generally I agree with Chuck that whatever UMass is going to spend (or not spend) on this next coach is still not going to have a huge bearing in what they accomplish under the coach. This new AD is going to have to do his homework and make the right pick, not throw a lot of money at the situation.

I think they should hire Paul Pooley. He could be a Bill Belichick on his 2nd HC destination. Hiring a Notre Dame assistant worked for football.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Wasn't lowell hockey on the brink of folding towards the end of mcdonald tenure?
                      The only real reason that Lowell was in danger was one particular person who was in charge, who's thought process apparently went "Well, UMass isn't doing well at hockey, we can't have two D1 schools in this state, so we should just shut down the Lowell program, and transfer all their best players over. Yeah, that'll work!"
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Why not include Bruce Crowder on the short list, he did a good job in HE and I think he is available

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                          Regardless, if Lowell can afford to pay their coach that kind of coin, why couldn't Amherst? The only reason I can think of is ticket sales.
                          FBS football.
                          The good news for UMass, they won't be getting kicked around by the MAC any more.
                          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Also, I think there was a decided lack of effort the last time, they wound up having to settle, and look where that got them. With a new AD and consecutive sucky years, I would imagine they wouldn't half-*** the search and take it more seriously.
                            I would think the new AD will try to make a big splash with this hire. The men's hockey and women's basketball jobs are his first major moves at Amherst. The guy has his work cut out for himself, especially with the football program. Apparently the men's basketball coach is safe for now.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              I would think the new AD will try to make a big splash with this hire. The men's hockey and women's basketball jobs are his first major moves at Amherst. The guy has his work cut out for himself, especially with the football program. Apparently the men's basketball coach is safe for now.
                              We said the same thing about our new AD a few years back and got an ACC 0fer this season with his two big major moves on the job.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                The only real reason that Lowell was in danger was one particular person who was in charge, who's thought process apparently went "Well, UMass isn't doing well at hockey, we can't have two D1 schools in this state, so we should just shut down the Lowell program, and transfer all their best players over. Yeah, that'll work!"
                                This is the dick who tried to shut our program down twice -

https://www.mintz.com/professionals/...tephen-p-tocco
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Working...
                                X