Boxcast and ECAC coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxcast and ECAC coverage

I couldn't get boxcast to work last night. After several phone calls and emails the boxcast rep(who was polite at least) said he could bypass the protocol and gave me a address to type in and he wouldn't charge me. This was fifteen minutes into the first period.

Then the stream ended before the first OT period and that was it and turned on the radio stream. Another guy on the Colgate thread said the same thing happened to him. That's two for two.

Before I write the ECAC I'm wondering if ANYONE had luck with Boxcast, wish you could find out the actual number of subscribers to the games this weekend ?

Plus the fact that ASN is covering the games in Lake Placid, Time Warner doesn't even carry ASN in central New York. What is the ECAC thinking?

I hope people make some noise over this travesty. Call or email the ECAC, this has to stop.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Boxcast and ECAC coverage

Boxcast made the OT periods of last night's game available to everyone free of charge. I didn't have problems streaming on an iPad. Then again, I didn't try to stream the game from the beginning.

RPI TV protested the league's decision to charge users per playoff game by not providing a broadcast. I wonder if this resulted in the free OT streams?

ASN (American Sports Network) is the company producing the games in Lake Placid this year. They usually sell their broadcasts to local stations or regional sports networks, or in this case, Boxcast. We'll know what areas will get the Lake Placid games on live TV in the coming days, though there's a good chance that all of New England and New York state won't get TV coverage
    Colgate '09

Comment

RPI-TV made some noise. http://rpitv.org/news_updates/28-rpi...live-on-rpi-tv

Edit: as Rainman wrote.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        I couldn't get boxcast to work last night. After several phone calls and emails the boxcast rep(who was polite at least) said he could bypass the protocol and gave me a address to type in and he wouldn't charge me. This was fifteen minutes into the first period.

Then the stream ended before the first OT period and that was it and turned on the radio stream. Another guy on the Colgate thread said the same thing happened to him. That's two for two.

Before I write the ECAC I'm wondering if ANYONE had luck with Boxcast, wish you could find out the actual number of subscribers to the games this weekend ?

Plus the fact that ASN is covering the games in Lake Placid, Time Warner doesn't even carry ASN in central New York. What is the ECAC thinking?

I hope people make some noise over this travesty. Call or email the ECAC, this has to stop.
        First off, ASN is a TV syndicate. They don't actually have a traditional TV network, but rather they distribute to any traditional TV network looking to show their programming. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the TWCS networks chooses to pick it up.

As for Boxcast, we can write all we want, but I highly doubt EC$$ Hockey will do anything about it. Their priority for any streaming is a pay wall, and nothing else. And with A1 defunct, they had to find someone else.

Comment

The two of us on the Gate thread both had our streaming stopped before OT.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I wonder what the costs/revenue sharing arrangements would be if the conference could partner with ESPN3 for at least the playoffs. This BoxCast BS was really disappointing.

Comment

I bought the Colgate/ Dartmouth stream at the end of the first period, the game streamed well (with ILDN logo LOL) until the end of regulation. I turned of my browser to eat dinner before OT and when I turned it back on the stream would not work. Luckily I checked my email to restart the stream and noticed another email from a boxcast rep who gave me a new link due to tech difficulty. I was slightly ****ed off that after paying $9.99 that the ECAC allowed overtime to be shown for free to the general public. As I have stated on other threads, everyone should email and complain to the ECAC Commissioners about this set-up. Here is the body of the email and email address for tech assistance if anyone has problems with boxcast in the future.

Josh Clemence
              Mar 6 at 7:43 PM
              To
              questions@boxcast.com
              BCC

Message body
              Hello,

Please ignore that previous email. Here is a new live live link for the Dartmouth Colgate game that was previously stopped due to technical issues:
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by IsThereADog View Post
                I wonder what the costs/revenue sharing arrangements would be if the conference could partner with ESPN3 for at least the playoffs. This BoxCast BS was really disappointing.
                First, you'd have to have ESPN's interest; they'd rather show squeakball. They're only forced to show some hockey by the NC$$ in order to get bouncy.
                Second, I'm fairly certain ESPN has some standards for what they broadcast, and it needs to be not only TV quality, but uploadable to a TV station. Only a few have the quality, but none have the uploading without renting from TWCS or similar outlet.
                Third, I bet ESPN would want the entire season instead of just the playoffs, so you can kiss the free streams from the scholarship schools goodbye.

Comment

The Dartmouth twitter account posted that the stream stopping was human error. The broadcast was only set for a particular duration (2 hours 30 minutes?) and that apparently couldn't be fixed once the game went to OT, so the solution was to start a second stream. Dartmouth twitter made it sound like it was his/her fault.

Because BoxCast is apparently ill-equipped to deal with that, the stream "had" to be free or else it'd force you to pay another $9.95.
                  RPI Class of 2012
                  Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

I understand the league's desire to make some money, but it's an awful decision for the long-term growth of college hockey -- and the ECAC in general.

Yes, they'll make some money, but they'll get far fewer eyeballs on their product by putting every playoff game behind a paywall.

On another note: I believe the women's championship game was on ESPN3 in recent years, so it's a little shocking the men's finals aren't also done via ESPN3. The league needs to do much, much better with its TV package, especially considering the coverage other conferences get.

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                      The Dartmouth twitter account posted that the stream stopping was human error. The broadcast was only set for a particular duration (2 hours 30 minutes?) and that apparently couldn't be fixed once the game went to OT, so the solution was to start a second stream. Dartmouth twitter made it sound like it was his/her fault.

Because BoxCast is apparently ill-equipped to deal with that, the stream "had" to be free or else it'd force you to pay another $9.95.
                      I figured that was probably what happened -- they assumed that the game would only last so long.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                        I understand the league's desire to make some money, but it's an awful decision for the long-term growth of college hockey -- and the ECAC in general.
                        If it was a league decision, then most likely that decision would be voted on by each member institution - most likely the AD's as opposed to the coaches.
                        I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                          If it was a league decision, then most likely that decision would be voted on by each member institution - most likely the AD's as opposed to the coaches.
                          Whoever made the decision, it's the wrong decision. I don't really care who made the decision. They made the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            The two of us on the Gate thread both had our streaming stopped before OT.

That was me. The stream ended just before overtime. I had to listen to OT on the audio stream from Colgate. Hours after the game ended I checked my email and saw the email with the new link because the other had ended. At that point it was useless. I am so happy I am going to the games in Hamden this weekend and don't have to give them $20-$30 more of my money.

Comment

Originally posted by BobNY View Post
                              I am so happy I am going to the games in Hamden this weekend and don't have to give them $20-$30 more of my money.
                              Feel free to give me that $20 Bob!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X