Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Thursday & UPS for me as well.

Looks like they really do want to transition away from paper tickets. If yes, it's a problem for many consumers, and a shame for collectors. But it certainly appears that the NCAA's decision is to keep the paper option alive a little longer, but to cut their "losses" along the way.
    Sad to see. Met my (now) husband at the Denver Frozen Four and the images on the front of our wedding programs were based on the design of the ticket from that year.

Comment

Re: Frozen 4 tix arrived today

A lot of the tickets I've kept over the years are ugly as sin, but I like them just as much since I was there and can tell the story.

Comment

I really don't think anyone at the NCAA specifically thought "Let's not come up with a cool design for the tickets this year to make it easier to transition to online tickets." I don't think they're that forward thinking. I think they didn't put much effort into it (though maybe the designer thought he/she did) because they put so little effort into everything else surrounding college hockey. If they plan to go to online/print out your own tickets, they're going to do it regardless.

The tickets have never been all that cool but I keep them because they're tickets to a great event. I even keep paper Ticketmaster tickets if it's for a cool event. I don't look at the design as a reason to keep or not keep.

Comment

At least we finally got separate tickets to each semi again.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Got our tickets yesterday, UPS. Been going to Frozen 4 since '95. We've seen a lot of the country in I guess what you'd call a non-traditional way. Yes we are back to a 2 ticket semifinal set up but look at the game times, 5 (running to about 7:30) and 8:30. One hour between. No different than the recent one ticket semis. Just enough time to herd 18,000 sheep out of the building (the letter states building WILL be cleared) and then herd us back in. I miss the good old days when you had time enough to breathe and enjoy a good meal and a couple of beverages in between games. See you in Tampa. Baa, Baa, Baa.

Comment

Got a call today from a NCAA ticket rep trying to sell me tickets to the Big 10 Tournament. Once I got done laughing, I told him that no, I wouldn't be needing any. He then tried to sell me tickets to Tampa and I advised him that, if my team makes it, I'll be going. He said he'd call me back after regionals.

Posting it here because I figured that may be useful information for you guys who attend every year and follow the ticketing trends.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I really don't think anyone at the NCAA specifically thought "Let's not come up with a cool design for the tickets this year to make it easier to transition to online tickets." I don't think they're that forward thinking. I think they didn't put much effort into it (though maybe the designer thought he/she did) because they put so little effort into everything else surrounding college hockey.
                I'm not saying there was a well thought out, carefully calibrated strategy designed to offend collectors. I just think they went low budget on this year's tickets. The bland result suggests that only limited amounts of time, effort and money were expended.

Why? Maybe it's symptomatic of an effort to phase out paper tickets, as per my original suspicion. Or maybe it's simpler than that. Ticket sales have been slow so far, so maybe they're just looking for ways to rein in costs in this particular year.

Where do we disagree? I see a reduced effort, while you see business as usual.

If they plan to go to online/print out your own tickets, they're going to do it regardless.
                Home printing isn't the issue, although that would save the tournament host a few bucks.

The looming threat is whether ticketholders are going to be forced to produce the credit card they used to purchase the tickets, in order to gain admission. For now, it's just an option. But if it becomes a requirement, the only way to put tickets on the secondary market would be to go through the Official Ticketmaster system. Otherwise the buyer would be unable to prove he or she had possession of the tickets legitimately. If the NCAA can squeeze all of the scalpers and ticket brokers out of the process, there's real money to be made.

The NCAA may not put a lot of energy into things that take a cut out of revenue. But an opportunity to increase revenue in a significant way? My guess is that the necessary time and energy would be found.

BTW, I'm still hoping that "Credit Card as ID" never becomes a requirement. I don't think it's a done deal at this point. But it is a possibility.

The tickets have never been all that cool but I keep them because they're tickets to a great event. I even keep paper Ticketmaster tickets if it's for a cool event. I don't look at the design as a reason to keep or not keep.
                I'm fine with this approach, although I do think at least some of the past designs have been appealing.

Comment

But if it becomes a requirement, the only way to put tickets on the secondary market would be to go through the Official Ticketmaster system. Otherwise the buyer would be unable to prove he or she had possession of the tickets legitimately. [b/If the NCAA can squeeze all of the scalpers and ticket brokers out of the process, there's real money to be made.[/b]
                  What do you mean by this? Just curious. Does the NCAA get a cut of people that transfer tickets on the ticketmaster exchange? I can't imagine it would be all that much money.
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

There may be money to be made by squeezing out the scalpers, but it seems to me that there's substantial risk also, given that the FF is no longer a guaranteed sellout, at least in the initial sale. Seems to me that scalpers serve a useful purpose to the NCAA, by absorbing some risk.

I'm also thinking what a pain in the azz it would have been this year. The credit card I used to pay for the tickets got compromised, so I had to cancel it. So I would have had to carry around a canceled credit card for several months.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      There may be money to be made by squeezing out the scalpers, but it seems to me that there's substantial risk also, given that the FF is no longer a guaranteed sellout, at least in the initial sale. Seems to me that scalpers serve a useful purpose to the NCAA, by absorbing some risk.
                      That is exactly what I am thinking. Curious to hear another line of thinking on this.

Comment

I'm also thinking what a pain in the azz it would have been this year. The credit card I used to pay for the tickets got compromised, so I had to cancel it. So I would have had to carry around a canceled credit card for several months.
                        I would never have thought to keep the card after the old one was compromised, however I didn't choose the "Flash Seat" option so it's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                          Got a call today from a NCAA ticket rep trying to sell me tickets to the Big 10 Tournament. Once I got done laughing, I told him that no, I wouldn't be needing any. He then tried to sell me tickets to Tampa and I advised him that, if my team makes it, I'll be going. He said he'd call me back after regionals.

Posting it here because I figured that may be useful information for you guys who attend every year and follow the ticketing trends.
                          I would be extremely careful, I have never heard of the NCAA calling anyone to sell tickets. Beware it may be a scam.

Comment

I cancelled the card I paid for the tickets with. I was able to go to my account and change to a current card.
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              What do you mean by this? Just curious. Does the NCAA get a cut of people that transfer tickets on the ticketmaster exchange? I can't imagineKindd it would be all that much money.
                              I'll admit to lacking inside knowledge on this. But I have to believe that "Ticket Exchange Powered by Ticketmaster" means that both the NCAA and Ticketmaster are taking their cut.

Would a lucrative amount of money be involved? I'm not sure, and admit the question is worth asking. But everything they do take in is gravy. They've already sold the seats once at full price. If they can sell them again and at least get the fees, aren't they keeping 100 cents on the dollar of those fees? (at least with electronic delivery)

Transaction Fee, Convenience Fee, Delivery Fee, This Week's Clever New Fee -- My recollection is that all the fees add up to something pretty substantial on each transaction. Haven't used the Exchange lately. Though when I have, I've been pretty grateful to have a way to move extra tickets on short notice. But I also remember cringing at the Ticketmaster cut.

In the end, I suppose it's lucrative if enough transactions are involved.

To the extent that scalpers purchase tickets in the initial lottery, sure. They're putting money in the till that might not otherwise be there. But my sense is that the speculators are essentially gone from the Priority Lottery, amateurs and pros alike.

In contrast, on the Ticket Exchange, neither the NCAA or Ticketmaster assumes any risk at all. Tickets don't sell? NCAA & TM just shrug. It's the Seller who bears 100% of the risk. No sale, no payment to the Seller. It's a consignment arrangement. OK, if the seats stay empty, there's no one there to buy refreshments and T-shirts. But Sellers who list their seats on the Exchange are no-shows waiting to happen. The Exchange actually increases the odds that there will be live customers in those particular seats.

Comment

... But my sense is that the speculators are essentially gone from the Priority Lottery, amateurs and pros alike.

In contrast, on the Ticket Exchange, neither the NCAA or Ticketmaster assumes any risk at all. Tickets don't sell? NCAA & TM just shrug. It's the Seller who bears 100% of the risk. No sale, no payment to the Seller. It's a consignment arrangement. OK, if the seats stay empty, there's no one there to buy refreshments and T-shirts. But Sellers who list their seats on the Exchange are no-shows waiting to happen. The Exchange actually increases the odds that there will be live customers in those particular seats.
                                I agree. But with a supply and demand priced secondary market, the buyer can hedge his risk a bit. He could sell his ticket at, say 50% of face, the scalper could sell at, say 75% of face, and everybody's happy. If you eliminate the secondary market, the ticket buyer is not only a no-show this year as you point out, but he's also far less likely to be a ticket buyer in the future.

The FF has been through a transition -- from when a FF ticket was a guaranteed profit to a situation in which there is some risk, but the risk can be limited. If the NCAA establishes policies that don't even allow purchasers to limit risk, they chance having unsold tickets as they've had in the past couple of years. And if you have unsold tickets, having a monopoly on the resale market doesn't do you much good.

Comment

Working...
                                X