Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Won't post the link because this is a college hockey board, but State Journal layed out Bobbie Kelsey and the women's basketball program. It focused on the wins/losses (which is dreadful enough), but could have just as easily documented the crowd size issues.

Their season is probably going to end within the next 48 hours. If she somehow gets retained, it may give a glimpse what they will do with Eaves in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Kelsey's more likely to hit the bricks than Eaves, so it's really only an indicator if somehow she's still around. That's a big IF.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I believe that article was linked earlier in the thread. In any case, Kelsey has said that she knows that today could be her last game.
        Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
        Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
        sigpic
        Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
        1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loca...373c39715.html

Pretty much lays out all the issues right on the table....
          From the article....WOW just WOW.

"This season started with the lowest attendance ever for a regular season game at the Kohl Center: 6,467 for a game against Northern Michigan on Oct. 9. That game also produced the fewest number of people in the seats as measured by the number of tickets scanned at the gates, at 3,840."

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
            From the article....WOW just WOW.

"This season started with the lowest attendance ever for a regular season game at the Kohl Center: 6,467 for a game against Northern Michigan on Oct. 9. That game also produced the fewest number of people in the seats as measured by the number of tickets scanned at the gates, at 3,840."
            If they retain Eaves & Co., UW has to be fully prepared for the attendance issue to get worse before it gets better. Season ticket renewal will certainly be lower and single-game/walk-up purchases will hinge on whether they get off to a fast start or not. Last two years, the season was basically over by the time the second semester rolled around.

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
              I'm just afraid that King and Barry (or is that King Barry?) will say that these new assistants need some time to make an impact as the justification for not making a change after the season.
              First article is great and glad to see Todd back at Cap Times / State Journal.

But this was how I read it too based on King's comments that they have been in every game blah, blah blah.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

As has been mentioned here and the article. Eaves was told to 'tear the program apart and figure out where you can improve and what you have to do" but watching the product on the ice nothing has changed. They still play the same systems they played last year. They still make the same defensive mistakes they have made in the past. Watching the product out on the ice shows very much that nothing has changed.

Starman talks about Mike didn't forget how to coach. He's so bullheaded and stubborn that his ego won't let him change the same failing dump and chase system he loves so much. Constantly using power plays as passing practice and just overall horrible play and rookie mistakes. We're at the tail end of the season and we make the same mistakes that we did in the opening weekend. We have brought in kids who could score goals in their leagues, knew how to play, but they just fail to even shoot the dang puck at this level. How many times in the last 2 seasons, heck even the last game, were players sitting there with an open net and they don't shoot. Kunin had it this weekend, Zengerle had it all the fricking time. These kids seem to have the will/urge to shoot beaten out of them in some way shape or form so all they want to do now is pass. When we take 15 minutes down by 2 or 3 in the Friday night minnesota series to take our first shot in the 3rd period it shows that these young men just don't have the urge or know how to take a dang shot anymore.
                Last edited by Red_Rob; 03-02-2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_Rob View Post
                  As has been mentioned here and the article. Eaves was told to 'tear the program apart and figure out where you can improve and what you have to do" but watching the product on the ice nothing has changed. They still play the same systems they played last year. They still make the same defensive mistakes they have made in the past. Watching the product out on the ice shows every much that nothing has changed.

Starman talks about Mike didn't forget how to coach. He's so bullheaded and stubborn that his ego won't let him change the same failing dump and chase system he loves so much. Constantly using power plays as passing practice and just overall horrible play and rookie mistakes. We're at the tail end of the season and we make the same mistakes that we did in the opening weekend. We have brought in kids who could score goals in their leagues, knew how to play, but they just fail to even shoot the dang puck at this level. How many times in the last 2 seasons, heck even the last game, were players sitting there with an open net and they don't shoot. Kunin had it this weekend, Zengerle had it all the fricking time. These kids seem to have the will/urge to shoot beaten out of them in some way shape or form so all they want to do now is pass. When we take 15 minutes down by 2 or 3 in the Friday night minnesota series to take our first shot in the 3rd period it shows that these young men just don't have the urge or know how to take a dang shot anymore.
                  Absolutely agree.

Eaves, Strand and JB have to go in order to rebuild. You don't ask someone who's dismantled a program to start over but then again that IS what they did and it didn't work as we can see by the continued mistakes in play and the lack of any changes in style of play. Yes, the PP is pathetic. As is the D coverage as is the dump and chase.

I hope Rob Andringa and the alumni are melting the phone lines to the AD and withholding further donations. He's right, if they don't make a change/address the downturn of the program it's absolutely a slap in the face for alumni. ...and I'd argue it's the same for season ticket holders. However many actually remain
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap Times Article
                    “You combine that with just the marketing juggernaut that is basketball and football — and not just at UW, everywhere, and supported by the networks, too — I feel like it’s kind of this perfect storm where it continues to just slip further and further off the radar,” Tuttle said.
                    I'm glad this was brought up. As much as I beat that point to death every time I have conversations about this topic, this is a point that is very under-talked about.

College hockey has no safety net. Basketball could be garbage for a decade and bounce back with the right pieces in place. That is not the case for hockey. They would need to completely rebuild the program as if it were brand new. They'd need to introduce people to college hockey. They'd have to teach a ne generation to follow the team as sports fans, not just show up occasionally to see a hockey game with UW logos and colors involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                      If they retain Eaves & Co., UW has to be fully prepared for the attendance issue to get worse before it gets better. Season ticket renewal will certainly be lower and single-game/walk-up purchases will hinge on whether they get off to a fast start or not. Last two years, the season was basically over by the time the second semester rolled around.
                      Are there enough differencemakers in the 16-17 class to expect a surge in wins? Would they be enough to offset possible departures like kunin and/or Besse if they leave?

I've stopped retaining recruiting info unfortunately
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        Are there enough differencemakers in the 16-17 class to expect a surge in wins? Would they be enough to offset possible departures like kunin and/or Besse if they leave?

I've stopped retaining recruiting info unfortunately
                        The forwards that are coming in don't look to be in the same class as Kunin and Besse.

Zimmer averaged a point per game in high school and about 1/2 a point a game in the USHL
                        Frederic is about 1/2 a point a game in the USDP
                        Sundberg is about 2/3rds of a point a game

With both Kunin and Besse averaging about a point a game, I'd be surprised if scoring wasn't down next year (should they leave and Eaves and crew stay.)
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          The forwards that are coming in don't look to be in the same class as Kunin and Besse.

Zimmer averaged a point per game in high school and about 1/2 a point a game in the USHL
                          Frederic is about 1/2 a point a game in the USDP
                          Sundberg is about 2/3rds of a point a game

With both Kunin and Besse averaging about a point a game, I'd be surprised if scoring wasn't down next year (should they leave and Eaves and crew stay.)
                          USDP and USHL numbers are scewed. Kunin average about what Frederic is and where is he now? And Labosky has a decent point total this year. Zimmer is more offensively capable than you think as well.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                            But this was how I read it too based on King's comments that they have been in every game blah, blah blah.
                            Eaves is safe. Book it. Take it to the bank.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Eaves is safe. Book it. Take it to the bank.
                              I won't get worked up until after the season ends and we don't hear anything. Then I will start getting worked up about this. A friend in the Madison hockey community thinks he is safe. I sure hope not....
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                                USDP and USHL numbers are scewed. Kunin average about what Frederic is and where is he now? And Labosky has a decent point total this year. Zimmer is more offensively capable than you think as well.
                                Tarek Baker who is with Bloomington Thunder in USHL is a scorer that will be coming in next year. Right now he has 19-21-40 pts in 48 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X