Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    What would a comprehensive look even yield? At least on the first look for all the fans of western teams here on this board, I'm not even sure which ones even have a majority that feel good about the shakeup.
    Likely the only positive ones are PSU and UAH, the schools that have programs that exist because of the shake up.

Most schools have had 1.) an increase in travel expenses and 2.) a decrease in revenue (likely all the WCHA 1.0 schools, the F5 printed money for the conference)

At best the other schools are going to be neutral on the change, with the more invested fans being genrally more against it.

the 12 team conferences were not perfect, people had issues with scheduling balance and fairness, but it seems that many would rather have 12 team WCHA and CCHA that are more regional defined that the three cross-regional conferences we have now.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Originally posted by Red_Rob View Post
      I'm not big into Fish Fry, my wife seems to enjoy Vintage on Whitney Way, Fat Jack's in monona 5100 in McFarland and Toby's in McFarland (though apparently that's weird in how they serve, you may not have the time)

I think there's one or two other places she likes but I cant' remember.
      I was always a fan of the Avenue Bar, but I believe they are under new ownership now. I usually just looked for places with Walleye on the menu, that's almost always a win for me.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by wallrock View Post
        If you're looking for the best fish fry experience I'd recommend checking out http://www.madisonfishfry.com/ for a ton of comprehensive reviews. Since you're going to be downtown at the DoubleTree there will be a lot of places within walking distance.
        Great website and the reviews are funny, but still informative. I never knew about this, thanks for sharing.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by dtrumbower View Post
          He might enjoy his High School coaching job better.
          As sad as that may seem to be, there could be a bit of truth to it as well. My, how the once mighty have fallen...

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            the 12 team conferences were not perfect, people had issues with scheduling balance and fairness, but it seems that many would rather have 12 team WCHA and CCHA that are more regional defined that the three cross-regional conferences we have now.
            Yeah, I used to think Holy Cross getting an auto-bid was a shame...but we all know how that turned out

Comment

Originally posted by UnWanted22 View Post
              I know that this is a bit off topic but....It is time for the annual College Hockey Trip for 6 guys from Rochester, MN. This year Penn St at UW Mar 03/04. You will know it is us when you see a WI Fan sitting with a MN fan and SCSU fan. We could use your help. Is there a good place for Friday Fish? We are staying at the DoubleTree. Thanks for the Help!!!
              Jac's on Monroe street would be a short cab. Great fish and frites, and beer choice most importantly. Small place so you may need a few beverages while you wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                I do think that college hockey would be better off with a higher number of conferences with fewer teams in each. 12 is too many IMO. No room for growth.

Comment

Originally posted by UnWanted22 View Post
                  I know that this is a bit off topic but....It is time for the annual College Hockey Trip for 6 guys from Rochester, MN. This year Penn St at UW Mar 03/04. You will know it is us when you see a WI Fan sitting with a MN fan and SCSU fan. We could use your help. Is there a good place for Friday Fish? We are staying at the DoubleTree. Thanks for the Help!!!
                  A popular location near campus is Jordan's Big 10 Pub at the corner of Regent St. and Randall Ave. It would be a bit of a walk from the DoubleTree and then back to the Kohl Center, but I thought I'd throw them out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                    I do think that college hockey would be better off with a higher number of conferences with fewer teams in each. 12 is too many IMO. No room for growth.
                    The west went from 2 conferences of 12 plus one independent (UAH), to three conferences of 6 (BIG), 8 (NCHC), and 10 (WCHA 2.0) with one team moving to an eastern conference (ND).

The conferences went from being mostly sorted geographically (WCHA 1.0 west of Chicago, CCHA between Chicago and Pittsburg). To being more sorted by "like mindedness" (flagship schools: BIG, major programs: NCHC, play-up schools: WCHA 2.0).

Being sorted geographically in many ways made hockey a throwback to the days before the rise of power conferences and the commercialization of the NCAA where schools of different sizes competed regularly.

Comment

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loca...373c39715.html

Pretty much lays out all the issues right on the table....

Comment

I thought that was a good article. Maybe I'm looking too hard for any sign of hope, but I was hopeful that the Andringa comment at the end regarding alumni being disappointed might be a good sign for a coaching change. I have become skeptical that they give a **** about the average fan, or even the dedicated but not fantastically wealthy and only moderately donating fan, but maybe they'll listen to hockey alumni, at least if they've got money?

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                          http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loca...373c39715.html

Pretty much lays out all the issues right on the table....
                          I know it has been pointed out in these threads many times....but once again, OUCH!

Originally posted by Cap Times article
                          Forward Christian Dvorak gave the Badgers a nonbinding verbal commitment in 2012 and was projected to join the team in 2014. But he backed out to sign with the London Knights of the major junior Ontario Hockey League. A second-round NHL pick by Arizona in 2014, he leads the OHL with 46 goals through 50 games this season.

Brock Boeser decommitted from the Badgers in November 2014 and now is a freshman at North Dakota. The first-round draft pick last summer is second in the country among rookies with 22 goals and has 37 points in 32 games this season.

And goaltender Luke Opilka signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Badgers this season and was projected to be the starter. But he signed with the St. Louis Blues, who picked him in the fifth round last summer, and the Badgers had to scramble to recruit a goalie.

Comment

I'm just afraid that King and Barry (or is that King Barry?) will say that these new assistants need some time to make an impact as the justification for not making a change after the season.
                            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                            sigpic
                            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                              I'm just afraid that King and Barry (or is that King Barry?) will say that these new assistants need some time to make an impact as the justification for not making a change after the season.
                              I had the same concern when reading the article. Eaves' pitch at the year end meeting will be something like "You told me to tear down the program and rebuild it. So I did. Of course, we had the expected struggles from doing that. But look at the recruits we've got coming in and we really need to let this rebuild play out with these great new assistants we brought in"

Having said that, I really don't think the Department can just ignore the consensus in public opinion that has built through the year among the general sports fans and media. Last year's outcry seemed much more limited to the hockey insiders. This year, its much broader. Ignoring that would really paint the Department as not caring about the public's support of the program.

Comment

Oh, also, I love the fish fry at Villa Tap, but it's not necessarily convenient to downtown and is hit or miss for when it's really busy so we usually go pretty early if we're trying to go before hockey. Still, it sounds good, and I might have to do that this week!

Comment

Working...
                                X