PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

WiscDC
02-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Here is another interesting distraction...

The Badger Band just tweeted out that they will be at an Admiral's game sometime soon and will do an on-ice 5th quarter (which would really be a 4th period, but that isn't the point).

Had the band ever done anything like that at Badger games?
I don't recall anything beyond Varsity.

While we are on the topic of the band, this happened at my office the other day. Our company owner is a huge UW supporter and a VB ticket holder. He arranged a special event when we had people from tOSU visit for product training.

https://youtu.be/eAFrgk_UuZ4

That's been an annual thing for a while now, but they've never done a 4th period at the Kohl Center to the best of my knowledge. It's a real shame that this is the second straight year that they've scheduled the Admirals trip on the same day as a UW women's hockey game. I went two years ago and had a blast.

GBBadger14
02-24-2016, 11:24 PM
"Sounds like they are serious about making something happen at the Camp."

What like an actual championship or something?

How about getting some real teams on the home schedule?

Badger Booster
02-25-2016, 11:58 AM
That's been an annual thing for a while now, but they've never done a 4th period at the Kohl Center to the best of my knowledge. It's a real shame that this is the second straight year that they've scheduled the Admirals trip on the same day as a UW women's hockey game. I went two years ago and had a blast.

Historically the band has been at the first round women's games even when out at Verona or Middleton back in the day. I'm not going to be amused if they are at an Admirals game in lieu of a Badger playoff game right on campus.

Timothy A
02-25-2016, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=WiscDC;6280931 It's a real shame that this is the second straight year that they've scheduled the Admirals trip on the same day as a UW women's hockey game. I went two years ago and had a blast.[/QUOTE]

The Band did tweet to me after I questioned them that they'd be at Labahn this weekend, they did not say for how many/which days.

WiscDC
02-25-2016, 12:44 PM
There's no way they won't also have people at the WCHA playoff game as well. Only a smallish chunk of the band goes to Milwaukee.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
02-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, they split the band up quite a bit.

Badger Booster
02-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah, they split the band up quite a bit.

Which is why it was so frustrating that they almost never showed up to any women's regular season games prior to this year. Fortunately, they have been at LaBahn for most games this season and is a welcome addition, at least for this fan.

Timothy A
02-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Which is why it was so frustrating that they almost never showed up to any women's regular season games prior to this year. Fortunately, they have been at LaBahn for most games this season and is a welcome addition, at least for this fan.

I second that motion.

XYZ
02-26-2016, 02:21 AM
February 26 and the main topic of discussion here is whether the band shows up for women's games. As much as I hope the band makes it happen, gotta think that tells me everything I need to know about where the men's team is at right now.

BuB
02-26-2016, 06:22 AM
February 26 and the main topic of discussion here is whether the band shows up for women's games. As much as I hope the band makes it happen, gotta think that tells me everything I need to know about where the men's team is at right now.

"And there ladies and gentlemen is your early leader in the clubhouse for 'observation of the day' honors".

Well said, XYZ.

Timothy A
02-26-2016, 06:58 AM

For those going to the women's games this weekend, free parking will be at lots 33 and 45. There's some wrestling crap going on at the KC so lot 91 is not free this weekend. Be sure you DVR the men's game when you go to the women's game. Is there any way the UW and UM women can avoid a semi's matchup in the ncaa's? I think not. I wish there was a forum for women's hockey. That would be so cool.

BuB
02-26-2016, 07:48 AM
For those going to the women's games this weekend, free parking will be at lots 33 and 45. There's some wrestling crap going on at the KC so lot 91 is not free this weekend. Be sure you DVR the men's game when you go to the women's game. Is there any way the UW and UM women can avoid a semi's matchup in the ncaa's? I think not. I wish there was a forum for women's hockey. That would be so cool.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but where are lots 33 and 45? I've never parked there before. Won't WIAA wrestling fans be parking there as well?

Wisko McBadgerton
02-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but where are lots 33 and 45? I've never parked there before. Won't WIAA wrestling fans be parking there as well?

Here's a map of Campus parking: http://transportation.wisc.edu/files/15_16%20ParkingMap.pdf

ExileOnDaytonStreet
02-26-2016, 08:36 AM

On a similar "this is where the men's team stands in our priorities now" note:

I'm told by my old college friends that the men's basketball coach position was just posted publicly, with applications due fairly soon. In all likelihood, the timing means that they're likely to simply hire Gard as the full-time basketball coach.

And if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, that means fewer distractions from doing what must be done to the men's hockey program.

solovsfett
02-26-2016, 09:48 AM
On a similar "this is where the men's team stands in our priorities now" note:

I'm told by my old college friends that the men's basketball coach position was just posted publicly, with applications due fairly soon. In all likelihood, the timing means that they're likely to simply hire Gard as the full-time basketball coach.

And if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, that means fewer distractions from doing what must be done to the men's hockey program.

Potential good news there. Gard has certainly impressed. They're vastly improved from 2 months ago.

Badger Booster
02-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Both head coach and assistant coach position posted yesterday with a March 3 application and a March 8 start date. As someone who has used that job board, that timeframe is unheard of. I've seen coaching jobs on that board for over a month. Fairly transparent way to officially hire Gard (and probably Howard Moore) yet stay in state job posting compliance.

Big 10 women's basketball tournament starts next week. I'm guessing that there will be additional job postings starting around Monday, March 7.

Badger Booster
02-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Here's a map of Campus parking: http://transportation.wisc.edu/files/15_16%20ParkingMap.pdf

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/uwbadgers.com/documents/2016/2/24/WHKY_2015_16_WCHA_Playoffs_Where_to_Park_Map.pdf

This map might help a little more. Shows which lots are paid and which are free.

Wisko McBadgerton
02-26-2016, 11:08 AM
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/uwbadgers.com/documents/2016/2/24/WHKY_2015_16_WCHA_Playoffs_Where_to_Park_Map.pdf

This map might help a little more. Shows which lots are paid and which are free.

Good. I mostly have no idea, as I almost always parked at the UW Health ramp and grabbed beers and a burger at Buckingham's before the game. (Mostly beers.)

WiscDC
02-26-2016, 12:28 PM
There's also that lot behind LaBahn and the Kohl Center, which doesn't appear on those UW maps. I know people who park there for free for men's games.

Timothy A
02-26-2016, 12:33 PM
There's also that lot behind LaBahn and the Kohl Center, which doesn't appear on those UW maps. I know people who park there for free for men's games.

The one just to the north of the rr tracks?

McGuire is playing D in place of Sexton, who is nicked up.