X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Take this with the requisite grain of salt. From a friend in Madison:
    This is consistent with things I've heard a week and a half ago although from a little different end of this situation. My perspective was from someone in the inner circle of a person that would be on everyone's short list of replacement coaches.

Comment

I spy Chuck/Andy viewing this thread. Oh how nice it would be know his opinion and inside knowledge.

Hi Andy! You are missed.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
        I spy Chuck/Andy viewing this thread. Oh how nice it would be know his opinion and inside knowledge.

Hi Andy! You are missed.
        I assume you're referring to Andy Baggot. Had the pleasure of meeting him when I was there three years ago with that team you played last night. He's one of the good guys.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post
          I assume you're referring to Andy Baggot. Had the pleasure of meeting him when I was there three years ago with that team you played last night. He's one of the good guys.
          He's talking about Andy Johnson/Chuck Schwartz. A man who should go up in the rafters of the USCHO Fan Forum.
          WISCONSIN BADGERS
          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

I haven't posted on this site in years due to my loss of interest in Wisconsin hockey, which is something I never thought I would have said before. I played hockey for 12 years, so did both my brothers.... my parents had season tickets for 25 years then got rid of them a few years ago. I'm interested now because of the rumors that Eaves is going to be replaced. I've been outa the loop so long that I have no idea what is going on with recruiting or how the Big Ten hockey conference is doing or who would be a good coach to replace Eaves. The point is myself and my family were the people that always watched games on FSN or on tape delay and we would always know the recruits coming in and would watch a hockey game over basketball any day of the week.... and its crazy to say that we were just not interested any more after years of this crap. So, I hope that Alvarez gets a good coach that can bring Badger Hockey back. Those hockey games when the building was packed and the crowd was nuts were fun as hell!!! I'm a badgers basketball fan but I mean come on those fans are really just a bunch of golf clappers (j/k not really). Hockey fans are the craziest so im looking forward to having a good team on the ice again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              The end of the 3rd period with all the pressure and chances was amazing. They got a line change in while holding the O zone, they looked like the UW women for awhile. The Kunin/Besse/Hughes line has been great the last month or so, I hope they all come back next year. Kunin's instincts are the best I've seen in years, probably since the 2010 team (WAY too long of a drought).
              They were consistently making harder, quicker, and more precise passes during that stretch than they were able to for most of the game. What in the world happened? That sequence was nuts.
              Last edited by WiscDC; 03-05-2016, 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                He's talking about Andy Johnson/Chuck Schwartz. A man who should go up in the rafters of the USCHO Fan Forum.
                +1. I always wanted to meet Andy and blow some froth off of a few beers....and oh yes to talk hockey.. I probably walked by him, or was standing or sitting next to him at many a AAA, high school, or USHL game and didn't know it. I had my "connections" back 10 to 15+ years ago and would post what I could. I would love to hear what Andy has to say these days.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Take this with the requisite grain of salt. From a friend in Madison:
                  According to a guy we bowl with who apparently knows someone in the athletic dept., eaves is a done deal. Barry is asking the alumni associate for the money to buy him out and they are going to make a deal which includes using pat richters 's consulting group to replace him
                  Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                  This is consistent with things I've heard a week and a half ago although from a little different end of this situation. My perspective was from someone in the inner circle of a person that would be on everyone's short list of replacement coaches.
                  Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                  A little bird (that would definitely be in the know/loop/have connections within Badger nation) told me that there's probably going to be a major shake up with Badger hockey. Not earth shattering or surprising in the least given we are on pace for a two year win total that would be a troubling total over a single season much less two and that fan support/season ticket base has cratered to a catastrophic level, but reassuring that changes are apparently imminent. I am assuming at this point of the season, Eaves will finish the season and whatever shakeup may occur will be upon completion of the season. By the way, this little bird happens to be in the circle of a person that if we sat around and speculated on potential coaching replacements, I would guess that that person would be in the two handful of names everyone would come up with. Sorry about being cryptic and I will gladly share more once the season ends and whatever transpires does.
                  I don't personally know you guys, and "some people on the internet" isn't the greatest source for me to cite when talking to others (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLgz3wH2n8). That said, established users on this board talking about this topic is about as good as "some people on the internet" can get as a source, so I'm pretty much convinced. (That is, unless you guys developed well-established accounts with thousands of posts to fool fans like me! )

Comment

Kind of unrelated, so sorry to all the posters here - but I am watching the WIAA Championship game right now on TV and the crowd at the Coliseum looks small. I know there could be scheduling conflicts, but is there any way they could move the State Tournament to LaBahn into a smaller barn to have a full house for these games? 1500-2000 or so people in an arena that seats 8000 doesn't have the same feel as that same number of people at a much smaller facility.

Comment

• [QUOTE=BuB;6287866]Kind of unrelated, so sorry to all the posters here - but I am watching the WIAA Championship game right now on TV and the crowd at the Coliseum looks small. I know there could be scheduling conflicts, but is there any way they could move the State Tournament to LaBahn into a smaller barn to have a full house for these games? 1500-2000 or so people in an arena that seats 8000 doesn't have the same feel as that same number of people at a much smaller facility.[/QUOTE

High school hockey attendance across the state has been on the decline for years. Plus Madison is a bad place for this tourney. It will move to green bay in the near future after they decide what they are going to do with the coliseum

Comment

At this point, I think even the most strident Eaves apologist would agree it's time for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                          Kind of unrelated, so sorry to all the posters here - but I am watching the WIAA Championship game right now on TV and the crowd at the Coliseum looks small. I know there could be scheduling conflicts, but is there any way they could move the State Tournament to LaBahn into a smaller barn to have a full house for these games? 1500-2000 or so people in an arena that seats 8000 doesn't have the same feel as that same number of people at a much smaller facility.
                          I've never understood why they don't have it at Labahn.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

[QUOTE=DoorCtyBadger;6287932]
                            Originally posted by BuB View Post
                            Kind of unrelated, so sorry to all the posters here - but I am watching the WIAA Championship game right now on TV and the crowd at the Coliseum looks small. I know there could be scheduling conflicts, but is there any way they could move the State Tournament to LaBahn into a smaller barn to have a full house for these games? 1500-2000 or so people in an arena that seats 8000 doesn't have the same feel as that same number of people at a much smaller facility.[/QUOTE

High school hockey attendance across the state has been on the decline for years. Plus Madison is a bad place for this tourney. It will move to green bay in the near future after they decide what they are going to do with the coliseum
                            Not only is attendance down, but talent is way down as well. Compare the current pool to the birth years 1984 to 1989 or so. There have been a sporadic few, but those aforementioned years had amazing talent. I was there this afternoon, it was like playing shinny in a cave.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

So, we won huh? Would have been nice to watch the game...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                I've never understood why they don't have it at Labahn.
                                Labahn is to small for this event......you need around a 6000 seat rink for this event

Comment

Working...
                                X