PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers vs Michigan Wolverines: 2/25-2/26 A big BIG series

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Koho
02-27-2016, 11:11 AM
That was a fun game to watch. Good effort, including shutting down a team known for being dominant in the third. Good to see them bounce back after a poor performance.

Mich fans down on Racine need to remember he also had some key saves that were not easy. Don't think any of them were horrible.

On a lesser note, the series ends 2-2 yet the Gophs get the trophy, how was that decided?

Finally, looking back at all the people last year predicting doom for the Gophs mid-season based on Pairwise yet things turned out better than most predicted without the Gophs winning every game in the second half, makes me think that we don't know for sure what winning out and losing to Michigan in the final of the B1G would mean for their chances. Just gotta keep winning.

Actually, this would be 'finally', I am also one who would be proud of the team to win another conference championship, even if it is practically just a 2 team race.

Happy
02-27-2016, 11:30 AM
No. The Michigan player who played with his hand was the first person to touch the puck.

thanks.

The Rube
02-27-2016, 01:39 PM
On a lesser note, the series ends 2-2 yet the Gophs get the trophy, how was that decided?

Previous winner gets it case of a tie.

Koho
02-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Previous winner gets it case of a tie.

Well the Gophs got the giant-hunk-o-wood trophy from this series, doesn't that = the season is a success?

D2D
02-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Well the Gophs got the giant-hunk-o-wood trophy from this series, doesn't that = the season is a success?
If in your mind it does, then yes. Then again for some others it takes a national championship. :rolleyes:

I was amazed at now different the crowd was last night, both in terms of numbers and energy level. The Gophers played like a different team, and the crowd cheered like a different crowd. With the possible exception of the Formerly Fighting Sioux, I think the Gophers/Wolverines rivalry will eventually develop into anything as good as what we had in the WCHA. But it will take time.

The Rube
02-27-2016, 04:22 PM
If in your mind it does, then yes. Then again for some others it takes a national championship. :rolleyes:

I was amazed at now different the crowd was last night, both in terms of numbers and energy level. The Gophers played like a different team, and the crowd cheered like a different crowd. With the possible exception of the Formerly Fighting Sioux, I think the Gophers/Wolverines rivalry will eventually develop into anything as good as what we had in the WCHA. But it will take time.

Thursday time hurt. I did hear it was mid-terms also? That would definitely hurt the crowd, as for the students.

Stauber1
02-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Finally, looking back at all the people last year predicting doom for the Gophs mid-season based on Pairwise yet things turned out better than most predicted without the Gophs winning every game in the second half, makes me think that we don't know for sure what winning out and losing to Michigan in the final of the B1G would mean for their chances. Just gotta keep winning.

Actually, this would be 'finally', I am also one who would be proud of the team to win another conference championship, even if it is practically just a 2 team race.

Well, you have to remember that last year they only moved into at-large territory with their final win over Michigan in the Big 10 Tournament Championship. Had they lost that game not only would they not have earned the auto-bid, but their PWR position wouldn't have been good enough for an at-large bid.

It's looking extremely likely that we are in the same situation this year.

And I would be proud to see the guys win the Big 10 regular season for the 3rd time as well. But I want a spot in the NCAAs more. 20 years from now, looking back, the 2014/2015/2016 banners all hanging next to each other will look nice. But right now, right this moment....I want to see them put themselves in a position to at least have a chance at The Big One. Even though I know they would be incredible underdogs to actually win it.

Koho
02-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Well, you have to remember that last year they only moved into at-large territory with their final win over Michigan in the Big 10 Tournament Championship. Had they lost that game not only would they not have earned the auto-bid, but their PWR position wouldn't have been good enough for an at-large bid.

It's looking extremely likely that we are in the same situation this year.

And I would be proud to see the guys win the Big 10 regular season for the 3rd time as well. But I want a spot in the NCAAs more. 20 years from now, looking back, the 2014/2015/2016 banners all hanging next to each other will look nice. But right now, right this moment....I want to see them put themselves in a position to at least have a chance at The Big One. Even though I know they would be incredible underdogs to actually win it.

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking they had 3 series left, not 2, so could have racked up 7 wins while having more opportunity for teams just above to slip a little (seems strange to see UMD, sub-.500 above them). The tourney is way more fun with them in it, so I am not saying I will be happy with a Conference title and no tourney appearance. Just don't agree with the people diminishing the B1G title. Yeah it is a weak conference, but this isn't a stacked team either, so it would be a good accomplishment for them to win and something for them to remember. (Not that sweeps are anywhere near a bygone conclusion with this team regardless of opponent.) Keeping the stream alive would be impressive.