PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers vs Michigan Wolverines: 2/25-2/26 A big BIG series

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

D2D
02-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Forgot to mention that the crowd was much quieter than normal tonight, even before the barrage started and the Gophers were still very much in it. There were also more empty seats than I can remember seeing this season. The fact that the game was on a Thursday probably didn't help.

SteveO
02-26-2016, 12:59 AM
Forgot to mention that the crowd was much quieter than normal tonight, even before the barrage started and the Gophers were still very much in it. There were also more empty seats than I can remember seeing this season. The fact that the game was on a Thursday probably didn't help.

Just wanted to respond to your other post too as I agree a must W or things look tougher for a shot at the regionals. This Michigan team is for real and the Gophers need to recalibrate, play desperate and get back in sync on offense if they want the win.

I'm not one to complain about the Big Ten, but I just don't get the Thurs-Fri scheduling for a key series like this. It makes no sense to me. From what I could see on TV, lots of empty seats...disappointing.

streaker
02-26-2016, 06:33 AM
For much of the game tonight the Gophers just seemed off, much like we saw all too often in the first half of the season. Too many passes were just off the mark, or to nobody. Too much perimeter play and very little traffic in front when we did have possession in Michigan's end. When we did generate a few close-in opportunities, most shots went right into Racine's mid-section. We seemed to lose little races to the puck, like we were a step slower than normal. And the final straw was our penalty kill was no match for the Wolverine's power play, which got way too many good looks from point-blank range.

I think we're now down to the point where tomorrow is a must-win situation. If we get swept then our only hope would be to win the conference tournament, and the odds of doing that aren't that great.

Role reversal from the last three seasons in A2. Where I would like to see at least one more B1G Ten team in the NCAA tourney, I don't want it at Michigan's expense.

streaker
02-26-2016, 06:36 AM
I think anyone with a pulse would agree with the Big Ten's decision to suspend Downing for that hit to the head on Reilly. You can't do that anymore at any level. Downing is a hack and if he pulls that stunt again at Mariucci he'll get 2 games now, not one.

What you are not saying is what precedes this. Taking slashes, slewfoots etc. is illegal also. I am not condoning the immaturity of HFB or CTH hits, but there was a great deal of behind the play chicanery that led up to those incidents. Gophs tried it again last night and he didn't bite.

streaker
02-26-2016, 06:39 AM
BS.

Just happened in the Wild outdoor game. No suspension but a 5 and a DQ was given out. When are people going to get the hint that hitting someone in the head is wrong?????????????????? When??????????????????????????????

Did you see the hit that Motte took against Penn State at MSG a few weeks back? Sturtz squared him up and blindsided him and got ONE game and wasn't even tossed from the game. Motte luckily wasnt concussed, but did lose a tooth and had a facial laceration. It isn't acceptable but every incident is unique. But the stripes and the B1G are not consistent with what is punishable and this proved it.

gopher wes
02-26-2016, 07:33 AM
Garbage crowd to watch a garbage team. Very disappointing to see the Gophers lay an egg with pretty much everything on the line; conference title and tourney hopes.

Nothing more to say about that. Hopefully they find a way to respond tonight.

alfablue
02-26-2016, 07:38 AM

Thursday games suck.

Clearly not fair to your program to saddle the team with a game night where the crowd may not show up for this kind of weekend. I swear, we circle this weekend just because the hockey is so fun to watch when the Gophers are in Ann Arbor.

Other than BTN, was there another reason why it was Thur/Fri and not Fri/Sat?

5mn_Major
02-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Garbage crowd to watch a garbage team. Very disappointing to see the Gophers lay an egg with pretty much everything on the line; conference title and tourney hopes.

Nothing more to say about that. Hopefully they find a way to respond tonight.

The first half of the game Gophers were decent. They held much of the play. Even inspite of gift of a goal when MI didn't really have it going. Although the first half was pretty dull considering.

The second half of the game the Gophers were atrocious. Down by a goal then two, they didn't muster much. The later it got, the worse initiative they had. Didn't see the end of the third, but from what I saw it was probably the worst period of the year...due to everything being on the line.

Agreed about tonight. We won't know until the end of the season, but 50/50 chance that everything that's important is on the line tonight.

Bonin21
02-26-2016, 10:31 AM
How many quality scoring chances did the Gophers have? I don't remember more than one or two before I left at 4-0. They looked like a crappy team hoping to steal a win.

D2D
02-26-2016, 12:19 PM
They looked like a crappy team hoping to steal a win.
A clear case of "perception is reality". :(

SteveO
02-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Garbage crowd to watch a garbage team.

So you apparently know a lot about garbage?:rolleyes: Here's what I'd like to see happen if you even had the guts to do it...walk into the Gopher locker room and look each player in the eyes and say you are part of a "garbage team" and see what happens. I've been in a lot of locker rooms and I guarantee you, you will get your *** kicked from one end of the room to the other and rightly so. That's a pathetic comment from someone I suspect has never played this game. I didn't see a lack of effort last night. What I saw was a lack of execution and there's a BIG difference. I wouldn't expect you to know that.:rolleyes:

Jockstock
02-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Coach used to tell us a loss only means the next win will be much sweeter.

D2D
02-26-2016, 02:26 PM
I didn't see a lack of effort last night.
Steve Johnson was probably speaking out of frustration, maybe not.

“For us to just give up like that is unacceptable,” said Johnson, whose goal at 17:23 of the third was followed by a Tommy Novak’s at 18:28. “[Friday’s rematch] is obviously the biggest game of the year. The biggest key for us is just to forget about this one and put it behind us.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-hockey-scorched-6-2-by-michigan-in-series-opener/370216301/#1

SteveO
02-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Steve Johnson was probably speaking out of frustration, maybe not.

“For us to just give up like that is unacceptable,” said Johnson, whose goal at 17:23 of the third was followed by a Tommy Novak’s at 18:28. “[Friday’s rematch] is obviously the biggest game of the year. The biggest key for us is just to forget about this one and put it behind us.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-hockey-scorched-6-2-by-michigan-in-series-opener/370216301/#1

I think he's obviously frustrated and had higher expectations like every player. The question I would pose to Johnson is who is "us"? Schierhorn? Kloos? Fasching? Bristedt? Obviously they didn't execute last night, but the Wolverines did a hell of a job moving the puck and making plays. After 2 and half periods of that, guys get tired and lose their edge cuz nothing's working and it's frustrating. I agree with his comment about putting it behind and move on with a better performance.

goldy_331
02-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Not that I'm aware of. BTW, your squad looked very impressive last night. They move their feet and the puck like the good Gopher teams did. Goalie played really well, too.

St. Clown
02-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Nope. The same thing happened for BTN considerations last year, too, except it was MSU at Mariucci last year. It was the worst crowd of the season that year, and will likely prove to be the same this year. A lot of people either aren't expecting it or have to work Friday morning so don't want to deal with it. Really, it's just more B1G Mistake suckage.

alfablue
02-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Not that I'm aware of. BTW, your squad looked very impressive last night. They move their feet and the puck like the good Gopher teams did. Goalie played really well, too.

Nope. The same thing happened for BTN considerations last year, too, except it was MSU at Mariucci last year. It was the worst crowd of the season that year, and will likely prove to be the same this year. A lot of people either aren't expecting it or have to work Friday morning so don't want to deal with it. Really, it's just more B1G Mistake suckage.

That's kind of frustrating. The B1G and BTN should not make hockey suffer for their benefit- I'd rather them not show a game then compromise the home ice advantage that much. Stupid.

Especially for one of the larger (if not the largest) fanbase in the country.

Speed Kills
02-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Big 10 is horrible. Any hockey conference built on the premise of TV ratings and content for a new TV network is flawed.

The Big 10 is not horrible, far from it. The teams that make up the Big 10 have more combined national championships than the combined total of any other conference in college hockey. It just so happens that two teams (Wisconsin and Michigan State) happen to be going through an uncharacteristically down period right now, that doesn't make the conference horrible. In time those two teams will soon enough return to their rightful place next to Michigan and Minnesota as perennial national championship contenders.

Pirateasaur
02-26-2016, 06:14 PM
The Big 10 is not horrible, far from it. The teams that make up the Big 10 have more combined national championships than the combined total of any other conference in college hockey. It just so happens that two teams (Wisconsin and Michigan State) happen to be going through an uncharacteristically down period right now, that doesn't make the conference horrible. In time those two teams will soon enough return to their rightful place next to Michigan and Minnesota as perennial national championship contenders.
I''d grab a drink and settle in for a while as far as MSU goes. You never know what could develop but morale in EL in regards to the current staff is, well, you know...

Anyways, is anybody watching Wisky/OSU on BTN right now? They keep showing a commercial advertising the WCHA tournament. Doesn't that seem odd?

The Rube
02-26-2016, 07:33 PM
The first half of the game Gophers were decent. They held much of the play. Even inspite of gift of a goal when MI didn't really have it going. Although the first half was pretty dull considering.

The second half of the game the Gophers were atrocious. Down by a goal then two, they didn't muster much. The later it got, the worse initiative they had. Didn't see the end of the third, but from what I saw it was probably the worst period of the year...due to everything being on the line.

Agreed about tonight. We won't know until the end of the season, but 50/50 chance that everything that's important is on the line tonight.

Even if MN wins out, and loses the B1G Tourney to MI in the title game, they are most likely out of the tournament, barring some bizarre things.

Basically, it's B1G Or Bust.