PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers vs Michigan Wolverines: 2/25-2/26 A big BIG series

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Bonin21
02-24-2016, 09:50 PM
I think they're VERY good this year. I would say they're on my short list of teams that are capable of winning a national championship, maybe not my odds-on favorite but they're in the top five.
The stats about how teams have done at Mariucci. They were not great the last two years. They are solid this year.

Stauber1
02-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Downing is a friggin' punk.

1. He either KNOWS that hits to the head are really looked at, and doesn't care.
2. He doesn't know what is a bad hit or not, which is not as bad, but still pretty bad.

So in your eyes he's either an idiot or a c-nt. Got it ;)

The Rube
02-24-2016, 09:56 PM
So in your eyes he's either an idiot or a c-nt. Got it ;)

Pretty much. Now, I'm not as much a Michigan hater as some of the older folks on here (don't get me wrong, I'm an older folk, just got into the game a little later in life), but Downing? He's a straight out punk.

wolverineTrumpet
02-25-2016, 08:12 AM
I just don't understand why opponents keep running their heads into Downing's shoulders and elbows. Seems like a dangerous way to take one for the team. Maybe those players should keep their heads up instead of bringing them down to elbow level.

SteveO
02-25-2016, 09:19 AM
I just don't understand why opponents keep running their heads into Downing's shoulders and elbows. Seems like a dangerous way to take one for the team. Maybe those players should keep their heads up instead of bringing them down to elbow level.

Maybe opponents are attempting a helmet to helmet and just missing Downing's head?;)

VinnyBoy
02-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Really hope we see Sadek tonight. Need all our puck movers on board tonight. Collins could really get exposed against this squad. Big series! Hope it's packed and loud!

gopher wes
02-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Really hope we see Sadek tonight. Need all our puck movers on board tonight. Collins could really get exposed against this squad. Big series! Hope it's packed and loud!
Need to stay out of the box against Michigan's lethal PP and keep the feet moving to induce a few PP of their own against Michigan's pretty pitiful PK. As of yesterday there were only about 150 tickets left, the problem is whether everyone shows up or not.....

I'll be there:)

SteveO
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Need to stay out of the box against Michigan's lethal PP and keep the feet moving to induce a few PP of their own against Michigan's pretty pitiful PK. As of yesterday there were only about 150 tickets left, the problem is whether everyone shows up or not.....

I'll be there:)

I was hoping to make it to the game tomorrow night, but can't do it.:( Really hope the hometown fans pack out Mariucci and support their team for this series.

5mn_Major
02-25-2016, 11:16 AM

I'm usually pretty positive about most players in most years. Collins is vulnerable, esp on fast breaks.

streaker
02-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Both Downing's hit on Connor Reilly and Poriko's hit on Jack Ramsey in their last meeting at Yost were pretty bad and deserving of suspensions. VIDEOS (http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2015/12/14/10128928/michael-downing-niko-porikos-michigan-big-ten-suspension)

Downing didn't jump into Reilly.... silly argument that every time there is a big hit it becomes a penalty snark debate. I don't think he even gets a penalty at the next level.

I didn't mention Porikos, you did and I think that one was blatant.

ScoobyDoo
02-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Downing didn't jump into Reilly.... silly argument that every time there is a big hit it becomes a penalty snark debate. I don't think he even gets a penalty at the next level.

BS.

Just happened in the Wild outdoor game. No suspension but a 5 and a DQ was given out. When are people going to get the hint that hitting someone in the head is wrong?????????????????? When??????????????????????????????

D2D
02-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Still worst in Minnesota but best in the Big 10, the worst conference in the NCAA.
Just noticed your tag line. Honestly do you really think the Big 10 is worse than Atlantic Hockey? :confused:
BTW I do agree with the question you posed about hits to the head being wrong.

ScoobyDoo
02-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Just noticed your tag line. Honestly do you really think the Big 10 is worse than Atlantic Hockey? :confused:
BTW I do agree with the question you posed about hits to the head being wrong.

Big 10 is horrible. Any hockey conference built on the premise of TV ratings and content for a new TV network is flawed.

D2D
02-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Any hockey conference built on the premise of TV ratings and content for a new TV network is flawed.
If only they would actually televise all of our games. :rolleyes:

SteveO
02-25-2016, 06:32 PM

I think anyone with a pulse would agree with the Big Ten's decision to suspend Downing for that hit to the head on Reilly. You can't do that anymore at any level. Downing is a hack and if he pulls that stunt again at Mariucci he'll get 2 games now, not one.

D2D
02-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Terrible miscue by Collins right in front of our net. And at the other end, just 6 shots on goal against a supposedly weak defensive team? Going to have to pick it up and take control.

state of hockey
02-25-2016, 09:53 PM
*flushing sound*

ScoobyDoo
02-25-2016, 09:55 PM
*flushing sound*

Typical.

SteveO
02-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Terrible miscue by Collins right in front of our net. And at the other end, just 6 shots on goal against a supposedly weak defensive team? Going to have to pick it up and take control.

Yeah, I was shocked at the pass in front. Collins should know better, he learned not to do that in Pee Wees. I hope he's riding the pine tomorrow night.

But the Gophers really didn't have much of an offensive attack tonight as you pointed out and credit the Wolverines they packed in around the net and blocked shots.

Kyle Connor really has our number with 2 Gs tonight and a Hatty in the first game at Yost. Tonight Kile gets the Hatty. The Gophers have got to stop Michigan's transition game which was really good tonight. They clearly have a high scoring machine this season and should do well in the NCAAs.

The final score tonight was very similar to the first game the last time these teams met in Yost. Hopefully the Gophers will respond as they did last time in the second game and play better defensively for a low scoring W tomorrow night.

D2D
02-25-2016, 11:48 PM
For much of the game tonight the Gophers just seemed off, much like we saw all too often in the first half of the season. Too many passes were just off the mark, or to nobody. Too much perimeter play and very little traffic in front when we did have possession in Michigan's end. When we did generate a few close-in opportunities, most shots went right into Racine's mid-section. We seemed to lose little races to the puck, like we were a step slower than normal. And the final straw was our penalty kill was no match for the Wolverine's power play, which got way too many good looks from point-blank range.

I think we're now down to the point where tomorrow is a must-win situation. If we get swept then our only hope would be to win the conference tournament, and the odds of doing that aren't that great.