12 Team Field.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Team Field.....

NC$$ making some noise - https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...s?sf21324162=1
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Re: 12 Team Field.....

Do they do it in 4 pods of 3 on a weekend followed by the phrozen phour or have 4 1st round games on weekend 1, QF on weekend 2 and phrozen phour on weekend 3?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Great news, but one thing that stands out

Mens Ice Hockey 11 teams - annual cost $12,000
      Mens Volleyball 10 teams - annual cost $37,000

$37-freakn thousand-dollars and we can't allow our hockey teams to stay an extra night? Do they play with golden balls? Private jets with steak and lobster? Feed them Arbys and save some $$$.
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Do they do it in 4 pods of 3 on a weekend followed by the phrozen phour or have 4 1st round games on weekend 1, QF on weekend 2 and phrozen phour on weekend 3?
        I dont think you will ever see "Regionals" at the DIII level. They will never pay the $$$ to send teams out East/West. Now your second version maybe....
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          I dont think you will ever see "Regionals" at the DIII level. They will never pay the $$$ to send teams out East/West. Now your second version maybe....
          Most other D3 sports have regionals that pair down to either 4 or 8 teams that convene at a central site.

They have flown Colorado College cross country for the lacrosse tournament, so anything is possible particularly if a sugar daddy (Corporate Champion in NCAA jargon) sponsors the d3 championships
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

$37-freakn thousand-dollars and we can't allow our hockey teams to stay an extra night? Do they play with golden balls? Private jets with steak and lobster? Feed them Arbys and save some $$$.
            I'm sure it comes down to travel costs. There are volleyball teams in every state, so they are going to have to fly teams. With Hockey you are limited to Wisconsin/MN--all driving distance and the NE, mostly driving distance.

Actually looking at d3volleyball...with the exception of a few teams in WI/IL and a couple in california...all teams are in the NE. So that does make you wonder.
            Last edited by gojackets; 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM.
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Those balls....are mine. Signed, Goldmember.

Comment

I don't think that's what the chart is saying. The title of that chart is recommended bracket expansion. I believe the cost column is how much extra it will cost if the bracket expansion is approved.

Volleyball is proposing an increase of two teams while hockey proposing an increase of one team. So, double the $12,000 amount and that makes $24,000, which is still less than the volleyball column, but if the two team increase requires some cross country flights due to where the teams are located, it makes sense.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Most other D3 sports have regionals that pair down to either 4 or 8 teams that convene at a central site.
                  Exactly. Plus, according to the article, baseball is proposing (and it was recommended to be approved) to go to a super regional format.

If you read the reasoning for this -- "...and would ensure that student-athletes miss less class time" -- would certainly also be the case if you spent just one weekend paring the entire field down to four teams.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

This is the same NCAA that shot down the proposal last year to expand the mileage from 500 to 650...do you really think they are going to fly more teams around?

2nd - it says annual cost...adding one more team to soccer I HIGHLY doubt is going to be nearly a $37,000 increase....if so that's one expensive team.

I understand the whole regional / super regional system, but it doesn't fit DIII hockey with the way things have been done. We have always been looked down upon. Their not going to be willing to allow teams to teavel cross country when they can just do a 4 quarter-final weekend. The only way this would work is if we cut the whole East/West ranking and rank 1-12 and #12 goes to #1 and geography doesn't matter ect ect.
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

speaking of the NCAA whatever happened to the Big Ten proposal to disallow 21 year olds from being college hockey freshmen ?

Comment

I don't believe that's been decided for sure yet.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Expansion to 12 passed another hurdle last week.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...n?sf23163319=1

April will be the final decider.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Expansion to 12 passed another hurdle last week.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...n?sf23163319=1

April will be the final decider.
                            If it wasn't for that pesky 500 mile rule, I'd like to try 4 three team regionals at campus sites on Fri/Sat.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If it wasn't for that pesky 500 mile rule, I'd like to try 4 three team regionals at campus sites on Fri/Sat.
                              If we went that route, I would like to see 3 games then between all 3 teams at the regional.

Top seed plays lowest seed Friday, lowest seed plays #2 Saturday, top seed plays #2 Sunday.

Best record advances and then make it goal differential as tiebreaker.

That maximizes revenue with 3 games including definitely 2 with the host school and it eliminates the 1 and done hot goalie problem. I think it's a nice hybrid of the old quarterfinal system where you played 2 games and had the mini game if necessary.

For instance this year would have looked something like this for this season with 12 teams.

Adrian Regional
                              #1 Adrian
                              #2 Plattsburgh
                              #3 Augsburg

Geneseo Regional
                              #1 Geneseo
                              #2 Williams
                              #3 UMass Boston

Hobart Regional
                              #1 Hobart
                              #2 Trinity
                              #3 Salve Regina

St. Norbert Regional
                              #1 St. Norbert
                              #2 Stevens Point
                              #3 Salem State

The only big issue with this format is you have to fly three teams for this round.
                              Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 03-28-2016, 12:20 PM.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X