Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 2015-2016 Season Thread II

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but... recruiting... I'd have a easier time seeing it if things were picking up.

I mean, otherwise... churn is churn and BU's going through it... most everything with us is stable even if we don't want to believe it ourselves... everything is pulling in the right direction... there's a couple of pieces left that need to fall into place to make a true contender.*

I suppose its the usual, get kids to the NHL and the other kids will start to believe.

edit: *that doesn't disvalue our 2013 run... but we've had a lot of good players working together and a tremendous goalie... but I've said in the past "what could we do with XXXX team's recruits"

"what could we do with XXXX team's recruits" -: You can't look at it that way because skill is just a part of the puzzle. You also have to take character and how each specific player fits into a certain role/system. You have to stop looking at the other teams and what they are acquiring and comparing to what Norm is looking for. He is much more focused on depth, two way character players verse building a top primadonna line. Would you rather have the "top skill players" that folded against Lowell Saturday night or player that will fight to the end (ie, Gamberdella).... He knows his wheelhouse for this program and he focuses on that market. How many Hockey East Championship games in a row does he have to make to give him that credit?
    "We are all River Hawks"

Comment

Originally posted by UMLKLB View Post
      "what could we do with XXXX team's recruits" -: You can't look at it that way because skill is just a part of the puzzle. You also have to take character and how each specific player fits into a certain role/system. You have to stop looking at the other teams and what they are acquiring and comparing to what Norm is looking for. He is much more focused on depth, two way character players verse building a top primadonna line. Would you rather have the "top skill players" that folded against Lowell Saturday night or player that will fight to the end (ie, Gamberdella).... He knows his wheelhouse for this program and he focuses on that market. How many Hockey East Championship games in a row does he have to make to give him that credit?
      Ok, now that someone has said this can we actually voice concerns. I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but its troubling when we have 2 total players committed past this year. TWO. I have trouble fathoming how that will be sustainable.

If we are not allowed to question anything than what is the point of being a fan. I am extremely grateful Norm came in my Freshman year and turned the program around. But I was trained to use critical thinking skills. That means I am allowed to ask questions and think about how things could be different. Would I trade Norm for any other coach in Hockey East, no. But we are allowed to question him, and that does not mean we are taking anything away from him.
      BS UMass Lowell 2015
      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

My girlfriend can't go Friday night, but can Saturday. Anyone here that might want the Friday night only ticket?
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
          Ok, now that someone has said this can we actually voice concerns. I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but its troubling when we have 2 total players committed past this year. TWO. I have trouble fathoming how that will be sustainable.

If we are not allowed to question anything than what is the point of being a fan. I am extremely grateful Norm came in my Freshman year and turned the program around. But I was trained to use critical thinking skills. That means I am allowed to ask questions and think about how things could be different. Would I trade Norm for any other coach in Hockey East, no. But we are allowed to question him, and that does not mean we are taking anything away from him.
          I am not saying not to question anything. That is the best part about being a sports fan & I encourage it. I am simply justifying what his approach has been since he took over and it has worked thus far. Per looking ahead two seasons - A big part of his strategy has been to grab "late bloomers", so I am just assuming that is why he is waiting. Debating and questioning his approach is all good..i am just a fan of the strategy he has chosen.
          "We are all River Hawks"

Comment

Shout out to the Hockey East intern that emailed at least two Lowell fans thanking them for their support of BC hockey.

*******http://i.imgur.com/AvZI03S.jpg********

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              My girlfriend can't go Friday night, but can Saturday. Anyone here that might want the Friday night only ticket?
              I'd be down for that!
              (unless there's a Lowell fan that would like it)

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                Shout out to the Hockey East intern that emailed at least two Lowell fans thanking them for their support of BC hockey.

*******http://i.imgur.com/AvZI03S.jpg********
                Have you ever purchased tickets to a game at BC?
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                  I'd be down for that!
                  (unless there's a Lowell fan that would like it)
                  Take it... Being around Monty is usually worth the ticket in terms of entertainment
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

While I have attended a game at Conte, I have not personally purchased, no.

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                      Meanwhile over on the BU postseason thread, they're debating who has the better team/program (BU or Lowell) after last night's game as well as BU's lack of leadership and experience in comparison. I guess the BU radio guy said Lowell is a top five program/team nationally now and that's set a few off. But how far we've come in a short time, it's like Bizarro World or something.
                      They were over there talking about the number of national championships teams have in the last 38 years since BU won in 1978. I almost wanted to troll and point out that Lowell technically has more national championships in that time period (3) than BU does (2).

Obviously I wouldn't seriously compare Lowell's D-II championships to D-I hardware. The only real point would have been to watch amusedly while people got Mad Online.

Comment

• Originally posted by tape View Post
                        They were over there talking about the number of national championships teams have in the last 38 years since BU won in 1978. I almost wanted to troll and point out that Lowell technically has more national championships in that time period (3) than BU does (2).

Obviously I wouldn't seriously compare Lowell's D-II championships to D-I hardware. The only real point would have been to watch amusedly while people got Mad Online.
                        I liked the lake state comparison myself
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          I liked the lake state comparison myself
                          Solid, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                            I almost wanted to troll and point out that Lowell technically has more national championships in that time period (3) than BU does (2).

No one would have gotten mad. You would have just been laughed at.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              No one would have gotten mad. You would have just been laughed at.
                              Ooh, almost got one!

Comment

CJ Smith was named HE co-player of the week and Kevin Boyle was named co-defensive player of the week.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...03/mar14wr.php

Comment

Working...
                                X