Re: D3 Regional Rankings and Bracketology

About what I expected, more or less.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Yeah...its tought to do much prediction/discussion with so much hanging in the balance with the Adrian/Lake Forest series next week. I would assume that a split leaves things exactly the way they are.

An Adrian sweep would move them to #1 West
      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I agree. Little surprised on Middlebury over Norwich/Castleton but I'm sure it's very very close.

I don't think it will matter too much.

The Pool C pecking order for two spots is:

1. Plattsburgh
        2. Lake Forest
        3. Adrian
        4. Elmira
        5. Amherst

Since four of those teams are in two conferences....you can pretty much see the writing on the wall.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Doesn't really matter much, but I thought that Utica would be above Castleton, especially since Castleton lost 2 of their last 3 to UNE and Plymouth State. Utica's only unexplained loss is to Williams - all the others to teams in the top 5 in the East ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            Doesn't really matter much, but I thought that Utica would be above Castleton, especially since Castleton lost 2 of their last 3 to UNE and Plymouth State. Utica's only unexplained loss is to Williams - all the others to teams in the top 5 in the East ranking.
            Good point...the only thing I can think of is ranking Utica hurts Plattsburgh a little bit if they're trying to get Plattsburgh as the No. 1 overall seed?

Utica/Norwich/Castleton/Middlebury have to be all very very close in comparisons.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Doing a quick comparison...as it stands now, Adrian would get in over Elmira

Adrian
              Win %: .891
              SOS: .507
              H2H: 1-0
              Common Opponents: 0-1 (Plattsburgh is only common)
              Results vs Ranked: 5-2 (I can't remember if this is just in region or overall...if just in Region it is 4-1)

Elmira
              Win %: .848
              SOS: .604
              H2H: 0-1
              COP: 0-2
              RNK: 3-3-1 (if just in region 3-2-1)

That gives Adrian Win%, H2H, and Ranked. Elmira SOS. Common is a wash.

Amherst Adrian is pretty close

Amherst
              Win %: .881
              SOS: .567
              H2H: ---
              COP 1-0-1 (vs 2-0 for Adrian)
              RNK: 1-0-3

So I think as of right now...Adrian barely squeeks it out over Amherst

So your Pool B is River Falls
              Pool C's are Adrian and Elmira

Its interesting that you probably have Lake Forest and Adrian as your #1 W and #2 West so they'd both host a quarterfinal? Can River Falls jump one of them if they win out and obviously Either Lake Forest or Adrian lose at least 2 more games.

If Lake Forest doesn't win the NCHA tourney...it might swing things in favor of the eastern teams...they have a weaker SOS..and the loss to Middlebury.
              Last edited by gojackets; 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM.
              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Good point...the only thing I can think of is ranking Utica hurts Plattsburgh a little bit if they're trying to get Plattsburgh as the No. 1 overall seed?

Utica/Norwich/Castleton/Middlebury have to be all very very close in comparisons.
                Does the committee really look at that....well if we put Utica in there it makes Plattsburgh look slightly bad...so we won't put em in? I thought it was supposed to be more about the numbers.

I don't think Platts has anyone to fear taking the #1 seed away if they win out.
                UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I think Castleton has been exposed the past few weeks they are a solid team, but don't merit NCAA bid...they have several recent losses including some really bad ones [like the 8-0 to St. Anslem's]. I don't think they should be on the list.

As for Utica losing to Williams...honestly, that's not what I would call an 'unexplained' loss. Look at their record--Williams is a good team...I'd say better than Utica...They dominated the game with Utica but just [as usual] couldn't score much.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                    I think Castleton has been exposed the past few weeks they are a solid team, but don't merit NCAA bid...they have several recent losses including some really bad ones [like the 8-0 to St. Anslem's]. I don't think they should be on the list.

As for Utica losing to Williams...honestly, that's not what I would call an 'unexplained' loss. Look at their record--Williams is a good team...I'd say better than Utica...They dominated the game with Utica but just [as usual] couldn't score much.
                    Castleton's 8-0 loss vs. Saint Anselm does not factor into the primary criteria because Saint A's is D2
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Castleton's 8-0 loss vs. Saint Anselm does not factor into the primary criteria because Saint A's is D2
                      And we all know how much of an advantage those D2 teams have over D3

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post

I was at that game. UC woke up in the 3rd and dominated territorially. The game-winner by Williams was as soft a goal as you'll ever see on this side of midget hockey. It's on Utica that they coasted for two periods, but they certainly looked to me to be the much more talented team just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          I was at that game. UC woke up in the 3rd and dominated territorially. The game-winner by Williams was as soft a goal as you'll ever see on this side of midget hockey. It's on Utica that they coasted for two periods, but they certainly looked to me to be the much more talented team just the same.
                          Sorry, part of being a good team is showing up for the whole game every game - no passes because they slept through 2 periods and only got interested when in trouble - that actually speaks poorly of them - end result was Williams outplayed and outscored them. On the flip side, this past weekend's results at Oswego would say similar things about Williams. I think for a team hoping to be ranked this season, losing to Williams is a black mark. That being said, Utica still has fewer black marks than Castleton for sure and I still think they should be above them.

Comment

Sorry, part of being a good team is showing up for the whole game every game - no passes because they slept through 2 periods and only got interested when in trouble - that actually speaks poorly of them - end result was Williams outplayed and outscored them. On the flip side, this past weekend's results at Oswego would say similar things about Williams. I think for a team hoping to be ranked this season, losing to Williams is a black mark. That being said, Utica still has fewer black marks than Castleton for sure and I still think they should be above them.
                            I would agree with that. Also, Conn is 3rd in the nescac...and are on a bit of a roll. If they should win out [16-7-1], I think they merit some consideration as #10. In addition, unlike some of the ranked teams, they have been competitive in every game they played this season [of their 7 losses, 6 were by just 1 goal] .

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              I would agree with that. Also, Conn is 3rd in the nescac...and are on a bit of a roll. If they should win out [16-7-1], I think they merit some consideration as #10. In addition, unlike some of the ranked teams, they have been competitive in every game they played this season [of their 7 losses, 6 were by just 1 goal] .
                              Utica lost to Williams once and it was early in the season. Conn lost to Williams twice and it was mid-season (and they also had a loss to Holy Cross and Castleton albeit these were earlier in the season). In my book, based on this Utica has the 10 ranking until they lose again to an unranked team. That being said, I do think that Conn has a legitimate shot at the NESCAC tournament title - 3rd is where Williams came from 2 years ago, why not Conn?

Comment

Working...
                              X