Ohio State vs North Dakota 2/19 - 2/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs North Dakota 2/19 - 2/20

Ohio State heads into the last weekend of the season on a five-game losing streak. Interestingly enough, it's likely there won't be much, if any, movement in the standings. Wisconsin has clinched the regular season title and Minnesota is far enough ahead that they will stay in second place. Mathematically, North Dakota could catch Bemidji State and move into third place, but it is unlikely that Bemidji will not at least split at Minnesota State. North Dakota has enough points to remain in the 4th spot, so they will host a first round series regardless of what happens this weekend in Columbus vs our Buckeyes. Ohio State does not have enough points to move up, so they will stay in the 7th spot, followed by Minnesota State in 8th place. The one really interesting battle this weekend will be a head-to-head battle between Minnesota-Duluth and St. Cloud State at St. Cloud. St. Cloud has a 3-point cushion, so in order to overtake the Huskies, UMD would need to get five of the six points in that series. Enough about the standings. This weekend the Buckeyes face UND, who is firmly entrenched in 4th place, and with a little help from Minnesota State, could climb into third place. It is Senior Weekend for the Buckeyes, so they will want to send the seniors out with a win or two. Amazingly enough, Ohio State was able to sweep North Dakota a couple seasons ago on Senior Weekend. Last season, UND was able to come into Columbus and gut out a couple of 1-0 victories. The Bucks have been improving in the second half of the season, for the most part, but in the recent five-game losing streak, they have had trouble scoring goals. Ohio State has just 7 goals in their last 5 games. If you take out the 3 goals scored against Duluth in the first of those five losses, OSU has 4 goals in 4 games against Wisconsin and Bemidji. The big question this weekend will be if the Bucks can break out and score some goals. In the home games I have seen in recent weeks, we have had opportunities, but we have not buried them. The effort has been there all season and the team has improved. The Buckeyes were able to get a split in Grand Forks back in November, winning the opener 3-2 before dropping the rematch 4-1. Should be interesting this weekend. UND fans, let us know your thoughts on this season and what you expect to see this weekend. Safe travels to everyone attending this weekend. Hopefully we will see some good games this weekend with no injuries! Game times are 7:07 pm EST Friday and 4:07 pm EST Saturday. Games are played at the OSU Ice Rink. Admission and parking are free for these games.

Re: Ohio State vs North Dakota 2/19 - 2/20

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    If you take out the 3 goals scored against Duluth in the first of those five losses, OSU has 4 goals in 4 games against Wisconsin and Bemidji.
    A lot of team will have trouble scoring against Wisconsin and Bemidji. Looked at positively, those four goals against Wisconsin and Bemidji are twice as many as you managed against those opponents in the four games in the fall.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      A lot of team will have trouble scoring against Wisconsin and Bemidji. Looked at positively, those four goals against Wisconsin and Bemidji are twice as many as you managed against those opponents in the four games in the fall.
      Yeah, that is true, and I have been trying to focus on the positives and the improvement that has been made this season. It's been difficult to score goals this season against a lot of teams. There are some very good goaltenders in this league. I know I will leave some out, but you have Desbiens stopping everything for the Badgers, Leveille for the Gophers, Mowat for Bemidji, Amsley-Benzie for UND, Julie Friend of St. Cloud, and Kayla Black of UMD. Our goaltenders (Danczak and LaMere) have had some decent games, and I am sure Minnesota State's goalies have had some decent games this year at times. I guess I didn't leave anyone out, other than I am not sure who starts for Minnesota State, maybe Brianna Quade.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        A lot of team will have trouble scoring against Wisconsin and Bemidji.
        Clearly correct.

Looked at positively, those four goals against Wisconsin and Bemidji are twice as many as you managed against those opponents in the four games in the fall.
        I'm all about emphasizing the positive, as you know. But even I can't get on board with this one.

In a search for silver linings, I'd say that cutting the Goals Against vs. Wisconsin can be legitimately be viewed as progress. (15 back in October vs. 4 this month) But the "jump" from 2 Goals For to 4? No disrespect to any of the four tallies, but I highly doubt that anyone in the room would claim that represents any sort of accomplishment. I certainly don't.

Comment

Fortunately, another weekend provides another opportunity. Go Bucks!

Comment

Can't wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend! Gonna miss these seniors!

Comment

Great win tonight! Hope the seniors can repeat tomorrow. They deserve it.
              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                Great win tonight! Hope the seniors can repeat tomorrow. They deserve it.
                Indeed! The girls have worked very hard this season. The record doesn't necessarily reflect it, but they have worked very hard this season and have gotten better as the season has gone on. The Bucks take tonight's game by a final score of 3-1. North Dakota's lone goal came with 3:03 left in the game and was scored by Meghan Dufault. Ohio State's goals were scored by Maddy Field, Dani Sadek, and Claudia Kepler. Dufault's late goal made the game interesting as it cut Ohio State's lead to 2-1. North Dakota was then able to pull their goalie and attempt to tie the game in the final minutes, but Kepler's empty net goal with four seconds to go in the game sealed the deal. North Dakota outshot Ohio State 32-26 with UND backstop Shelby Amsley-Benzie saving 23 of the 25 shots she faced and Ohio State's Alex LaMere stopping 31 of the 32 shots she faced. The Buckeye penalty killers were very good tonight, and they needed to be as they were whistled for six penalties, killing all six. UND was able to kill 3 of the 4 power plays they faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time at 4:07 pm EST.

Comment

Did you feel like the refs let a lot of things go in the first two periods? Not that I'm complaining, but it seemed to me like they were letting them play and ignoring a lot of pushing and shoving. They still called some obvious penalties, but I felt like the refs were letting them play pretty physical in the first half and then suddenly started calling everything in the second half of the game.

Comment

Check out my account of tonight's proceedings at the Ice Rink. As per my usual practice, it's on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Well the Buckeyes played really good for about 3 minutes and then it went downhill. They just couldn't seem to create any offensive zone pressure for the rest of the game. If it wasn't for Stacy making a few good saves this one could've been a lot worse. Glad she was able to have a good game on senior night. Still, I'd take the win any day.

Comment

This will be a bit lengthy as I want to salute our seniors and their parents. I want to first thank the parents for raising such great young ladies, and for sharing them with Buckeye Nation for their college years! It was greating meeting you and talking with you these past few years, and in some cases, for the first time this season or this weekend! And of course, thank you, seniors, for choosing The Ohio State University! You will all be Buckeyes for life and well, hopefully, ok selfishly (I admit it), we sure hope you are able to come back and visit us every so often. We wish you the very best in all your endeavors and hope that Ohio State has prepared you well to be successful in those endeavors! Here are our seniors and their parents.

Kendall Curtis ... Kevin & Susie Curtis
                        Stacy Danczak ... Ed & Kelly Danczak
                        Julia McKinnon ... Bill & Cheryl McKinnon
                        Melani Moylan ... Diane & Peter Moylan
                        Bryanna Neuwald ... Donna & Charles Neuwald
                        Maggie Rothgery ... Donald & Catherine Rothgery
                        Cara Zubko ... Colleen & Lorne Zubko

Pgb-ohio likes to insert song titles/lyrics in the "Three Stars" and I am going steal a page out of that, quoting the song Carol Burnett used to end her variety shows with in the 1970s (reeeeaaaally dating myself on this, although I was a child then) ... "We just get started and before you know it ... comes the time we have to say ... goodbye."

Now for the game, we didn't get the result we were looking for, but as has been the case all season, the girls left everything out on the ice. The Buckeyes got off to a great start, scoring two quick goals in the first five minutes of the game from Alexa Ranahan and Lauren Spring to take a 2-0 lead. Give our opponent credit, though. On this day, they were determined not to allow the Bucks to sweep. UND got a first period goal of their own from Amy Menke and that's how the first period ended (2-1). North Dakota continued to press in the second period and got goals from Becca Kohler and Meghan Dufault to take a 3-2 lead into the second intermission. That 3-2 lead would stand as neither team was able to find the back of the net in the third period. Both goalies were staunch today. North Dakota's Shelby Amsley-Benzie was staunch as she kept the Buckeyes off the scoresheet for the last 55 minutes of the game. Not to be outdone on Senior Day, Stacy Danczak kept the Bucks in the game with several spectacular saves of her own. The Fighting Hawks outshot Ohio State 32-25 on this day with Shelby Amsley-Benzie earning 23 saves and Stacy Danczak stopping 29 shots. Both teams now start the postseason. Ohio State will travel to Minnesota to face the Gophers in the 7 vs 2 matchup. The Fighting Hawks will host St. Cloud in the 4 vs 5 matchup. Good luck to both teams next weekend!

One more quick thing, thank you seniors for the pictures after the game! Needless to say, Mrs. 86 and I will cherish those forever!

Comment

My Final 3 Stars for 2015-16 are up and shining on the WCHA thread.

Something a little different this year: The 3 Stars Post for the final home game is more or less in the normal format. At least to the extent there is a normal format. Anyhow, my plan is to honor the Seniors with a retrospective post after the playoffs are over. In other words, tonight's post isn't my Senior Send-Off.

osualum86, great job on your Senior Night Post. Must spread, or I would have sent a more tangible expression of thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            My Final 3 Stars for 2015-16 are up and shining on the WCHA thread.

Something a little different this year: The 3 Stars Post for the final home game is more or less in the normal format. At least to the extent there is a normal format. Anyhow, my plan is to honor the Seniors with a retrospective post after the playoffs are over. In other words, tonight's post isn't my Senior Send-Off.

osualum86, great job on your Senior Night Post. Must spread, or I would have sent a more tangible expression of thanks.
                            Pgb-ohio, thank you for the props! I need to get over to the WCHA Thread and read your three stars. I am already looking forward to your tribute to the seniors. I am sure it will be worth the wait!

Comment

Blackbeard's 2 (Lifetime) Star Selection:

There are a lot of very nice people on this forum but I have to say that, in my opinion, you two are at the top of the heap.

Two equally brilliant stars...one each to osualum86 and pgb-ohio for your stellar personalities and enduring qualities. OSU is lucky to have you as fans and this forum as contributors.

I've thought this for years, thought it was about time I said it.

Comment

Working...
                              X