X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold War Hockey Rivalry - For the Hockey Historians

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/videos#2683467451

Re: Cold War Hockey Rivalry - For the Hockey Historians

A survey by the Dominion Institute ranks the winning goal in the final game as the fifth-greatest event in Canadian history, ahead of the country’s contributions to the Allied victory in World War II.

At the height of the cold war, two hockey styles clashed: the swift, precise and contact-averse game of the Soviets against the dogged, rugged, punishing game of the Canadians. The series played out before a rapt audience on both sides of the Iron Curtain. As it moved across Canada and on to Moscow, the games became increasingly desperate, although almost everyone had assumed the Canadians would win all eight games. The pressure drove the players to new heights of skill and, for the Canadians especially, questionable behavior.

Vladislav Tretiak: “I realized in full the rudeness and impudence of the Canadian players.”

¶ In Game 1, Bobby Clarke upended Alexander Maltsev, then chopped him over the head with his stick.

¶ In Game 6, Clarke, at the suggestion of the assistant John Ferguson, a former Canadiens enforcer, chased down the stylish star Valery Kharlamov and broke his ankle with a brazen two-handed slash.

¶ In Game 7, Esposito threatened Mikhailov, the Soviet captain, by drawing his finger across his throat. Later, Gary Bergman did it, too. But Mikhailov also kicked Bergman in the leg during a corner scrum, bloodying Bergman.

¶ In Game 8, Bergman took a swing at the penalty-box timekeeper; Parise, incensed over a penalty, swooped in with stick raised and menaced the referee; Coach Harry Sinden flung chairs onto the ice; and stick-brandishing Canadian players went nose to nose with the Moscow police who tried to restrain Alan Eagleson, the team organizer, after Eagleson vaulted several rows of seats to challenge the goal judge.

The Canadians defended their actions, then and now, by comparing it to warfare.

“To me, it was war,” Esposito said in 1989 and on several occasions since. “There’s no doubt in my mind that I think I would have killed to win.”

Clarke said of breaking Kharlamov’s ankle: “I don’t know what I was thinking at all — it was an awful thing to do. It sure felt good.”

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      At the height of the cold war, two hockey styles clashed: the swift, precise and contact-averse game of the Soviets against the dogged, rugged, punishing game of the Canadians. The series played out before a rapt audience on both sides of the Iron Curtain. As it moved across Canada and on to Moscow, the games became increasingly desperate, although almost everyone had assumed the Canadians would win all eight games. The pressure drove the players to new heights of skill and, for the Canadians especially, questionable behavior.

Vladislav Tretiak: “I realized in full the rudeness and impudence of the Canadian players.”

¶ In Game 1, Bobby Clarke upended Alexander Maltsev, then chopped him over the head with his stick.

¶ In Game 6, Clarke, at the suggestion of the assistant John Ferguson, a former Canadiens enforcer, chased down the stylish star Valery Kharlamov and broke his ankle with a brazen two-handed slash.

The Canadians defended their actions, then and now, by comparing it to warfare.

“To me, it was war,” Esposito said in 1989 and on several occasions since. “There’s no doubt in my mind that I think I would have killed to win.”

Clarke said of breaking Kharlamov’s ankle: “I don’t know what I was thinking at all — it was an awful thing to do. It sure felt good.”
      I recently watched video of those Bobby Clarke actions. Yes, they would have been defendable if it really was war. But, as a sporting event, they looked clearly criminal. It was ugly!!

I am actually very pleased to see Clarke say "it was an awful thing to do". Hopefully Esposito eventually repented. It was unbelievably UGLY!

Comment

Isn't this a café topic?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Isn't this a café topic?
          Phil Esposito couldn't kill anything if he tried...oh, wait, he did kill that stick when he missed a breakaway vs the Bruins that caused the pu$$y John Davidson to yap his way to getting his fans beat up by O'Rielly (with his fists) and another pu$$y Mike Milbury with a shoe.

getting threatened by Phil Esposito is equal to getting threatened by Fredo Corleone. it's impossible.

Comment

A survey by the Dominion Institute ranks the winning goal in the final game as the fifth-greatest event in Canadian history, ahead of the country’s contributions to the Allied victory in World War II.

I think you are referring to Paul Henderson's goal on Tretiak in the '72 series. The link that I posted above was about a series that occurred four years earlier in '68 and the Canadians (Sherbrooke Beavers) lost that series.

A few years ago I posted an article or two and a video on the tactics that the Russians used off the ice to get the Canadians off their game in '72 once the series (the last 4 games) moved to Moscow...such as playing loud music in ajoining rooms all night so the Canadians wouldn't get any sleep. The list of both official and unofficial actions was hard to believe but it occurred and caused all the animosity that occurred on the ice. It was so outrageous that "official politics" got involved and many thought it was quickly leading to war. Seriously, that's how outrageously stupid things got and escalated quickly.

I was at the 3rd game and the Canadians were terribly out of shape in comparison to the Russians. That contributed in no small way to their troubles with the Russians on the ice and with the fans booing them and lead to Esposito's bellyaching on national tv telling the country that they were trying as hard as they could. Maybe so, but they should have taken their profession more seriously and stayed in shape during the off season instead of drinking beer and eating cheeseburgers.

The above video mentions the conditioning of the Russian team in '68 and alludes to their being at it year round.

At any rate, it's interesting to see some events from past decades in which many of us got interested in the game which eventually lead to our interest in the womens' game once it took enough organizational shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              At any rate, it's interesting to see some events from past decades in which many of us got interested in the game which eventually lead to our interest in the womens' game once it took enough organizational shape.
              Following this line of thought, the 1980 & 1984 Olympics got me interested in hockey. Then I found UW hockey on PBS and I was hooked. I feel kind of embarrassed to say I did not get majorly interested in the women's game until 2010-11. Believe it or not, I didn't realize how accessible the games were. Living out in the boonies where I do, travelling into Madison or Milwaukee was bit of a daunting task pre-GPS. My world has gotten a lot smaller in the last 6 years and I love it. Another thing that has enhanced my enjoyment of the women's game is the forum. The civilized discussions and the knowledge gained from the other posters is quite enjoyable. It's such a niche sport it's fun to be able to chat with other people who are more knowledgeable than I. The whole east/west dynamic is fascinating.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A few years ago I posted an article or two and a video on the tactics that the Russians used off the ice to get the Canadians off their game in '72 once the series (the last 4 games) moved to Moscow...

I
                the tactics the Russians used were simple, they kicked the Canadian's butts and Canada used the tried and true method of the NHL, Goon Hockey, and in this case not to distract the Russians from playing their game, but to remove the key players from the ice, permanently

I guess Canada saved face, at least in their own eyes, but this was the beggining of the end for me of watching pro hockey. So yes, it does have something to do with women's college hockey.

BTW, for those curious, the top 5 events in Canadian history are:
                1. Confederation (their version of July 4 from the Brits, but how we got there is a little different)
                2. Completing the Canadian Pacific Railway (last spike)
                you might question this being so high, but if you've ever driven the TransCan in NW Ontario you'll understand why
                3. War of 1812 They think they defeated us in a war. Well, they sorta did, but not really.
                4. Canadians kicked German butt in WWI after the British and French got their butt kicked. Maybe the Germans didn't take them seriously?
                5. Beating the Russians in hockey.
                Last edited by pokechecker; 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

2. Completing the Canadian Pacific Railway (last spike) you might question this being so high, but if you've ever driven the TransCan in NW Ontario you'll understand why
                  I've driven parts of the TransCan in NW Ontario, in the middle of winter. Impressive, amazing views, moose a plenty, you may get the chance to watch wolves rip apart a carcass, leave with a full tank of gas in the winter. Seeing a semi flipped on it's side is not uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    I've driven parts of the TransCan in NW Ontario, in the middle of winter. Impressive, amazing views, moose a plenty, you may get the chance to watch wolves rip apart a carcass...
                    Or you can just go to Duluth...
                    http://www.startribune.com/hungry-wo...ore/368323061/
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I get "THIS CONTENT IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE" .
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Made that rode trip MANY MANY of times as well. At least in MN there are people to eat the carcasses.

They done with that **** construction just south of Duluth

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          I get "THIS CONTENT IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE" .
                          Just clicked on the link twice and each time it opened immediately.

Maybe someone here who is computer savvy can help you.

Comment

the tactics the Russians used were simple, they kicked the Canadian's butts and Canada used the tried and true method of the NHL, Goon Hockey, and in this case not to distract the Russians from playing their game, but to remove the key players from the ice, permanently

I guess Canada saved face, at least in their own eyes, but this was the beggining of the end for me of watching pro hockey. So yes, it does have something to do with women's college hockey.

BTW, for those curious, the top 5 events in Canadian history are:
                            1. Confederation (their version of July 4 from the Brits, but how we got there is a little different)
                            2. Completing the Canadian Pacific Railway (last spike)
                            you might question this being so high, but if you've ever driven the TransCan in NW Ontario you'll understand why
                            3. War of 1812 They think they defeated us in a war. Well, they sorta did, but not really.
                            4. Canadians kicked German butt in WWI after the British and French got their butt kicked. Maybe the Germans didn't take them seriously?
                            5. Beating the Russians in hockey.

ok...and that pretty much sums up why canada is so **** lame.

Comment

Working...
                            X