No announcement yet.

SLU & Clarkson @ RPI & Union (2/5, 2/6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLU & Clarkson @ RPI & Union (2/5, 2/6)

discuss
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: SLU & Clarkson @ RPI & Union (2/5, 2/6)

OK.

SLU has not been playing well at all for several weeks, and I thought they got outplayed by a shorthanded Colgate team last night in a win. However, tonight they came up really big. I was shocked at how flat they were for Clarkson. I didn't buy the line that they were playing well enough in the losses to Harvard and Dartmouth, I heard that they didn't look all that desperate against Ylae, and I thought Hayton stole two points from 'Gate. But I can see this Cornell game being a springboard for them. They're still in the hunt for a bye now, and two wins this weekend could end up being a very big deal. It's been a loooong time since we saw two really good games in a row, so I wouldn't bet the house on a sweep, but it's possible. I'm actually really interested to see how they do against RPI - that should be a stiff test.

Comment

BRF! Saturday against Clarkson.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-31-2016, 02:40 AM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
        OK.

SLU has not been playing well at all for several weeks, and I thought they got outplayed by a shorthanded Colgate team last night in a win. However, tonight they came up really big. I was shocked at how flat they were for Clarkson. I didn't buy the line that they were playing well enough in the losses to Harvard and Dartmouth, I heard that they didn't look all that desperate against Ylae, and I thought Hayton stole two points from 'Gate. But I can see this Cornell game being a springboard for them. They're still in the hunt for a bye now, and two wins this weekend could end up being a very big deal. It's been a loooong time since we saw two really good games in a row, so I wouldn't bet the house on a sweep, but it's possible. I'm actually really interested to see how they do against RPI - that should be a stiff test.
        IMHO, it's not that we weren't desperate against Yale, it just was did we didn't do much.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          IMHO, it's not that we weren't desperate against Yale, it just was did we didn't do much.
          I meant us. I didn't see that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            BRF! Sunday against Clarkson.
            Sunday??

Comment

Well...........I think we owe you one from the game earlier in the year at Appleton. If I recollect we outplayed and out shot RPI 40-21 and dominated for long stretches. On the other hand.........I think we were playing much more aggressively and confidently back then, than now. Earlier in the year we played a lot of 60 minute, high speed, high effort games. Lately we play one period at a high level and take another off. Based on our second half it seems like a crap shoot as to what team shows up.

We were unlucky against Ylae last week. All three of Ylae's scores were as coach Carvel described them "fluky." I'd say having the home sheet and playing what appears to be better than we are in the second half would make RPI the favorite. The thing that carried us to the sweep this weekend was Hayton. His play was stellar against Colgate and as Tim said he made some BIG saves tonight in the third, even though he wasn't tested tonight like he was Friday. He's our ace in the hole.
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                Sunday??
                A senior moment.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                  I meant us. I didn't see that game.
                  Another senior moment.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I hate to call any game a must win, but this weekend games are as close as you can get to must wins.
                    With only 4 home games left on the schedule and Q and Harvard waiting in the wings, these become very important games for us.
                    It would be really nice to have our best players available for the weekend, but I haven't heard anything new about the return of Riley or Reno.
                    There can be no letdowns this weekend.

Lets go red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

RPI has been playing some teams who do not score a lot. SLU is different and can put the puck in the net. They will have play vry well defensively and Kasdorf will have to be sharp the entire game. We simply do not have the offense to be able to score a lot or come back on teams (Brown this past weekend excluded). SLU is better than their record and outplayed us in Canton but as happens in this league, anyone can win every night unless you are playing Quinnipiac who is never to be counted out even when down by 3 goals late (see Dartmouth).
                      Clarkson was having a miserable year but seems to have turned things around a bit. Their late score against us in Potsdam hurts but we seem to match up with them somewhat better. Neither of these two games are easy pickings. Add to that, RPI is missing some key people that hurt in areas we can ill afford it. Top goal scorer by far, top defenseman, and top freshman have been out for a time now. Often you can get through a game or two like that but when you have to go a long stretch short handed in that way, teams just figure out what to do to beat you.
                      This weekend is like the long history of these rivalries, games that are tough to call and predict and ones that often are decided by one play, one face off, one penalty. 2 ties or overtime games would not be out of the question. The fact that Saturday is the BRF plays virtually no part in anything as our coach minimizes this game to the players. A big boost would be RPI getting back any of the injured players as this past weekend (even with the fabulous comeback from 3-0 against Brown) they looked like a tired team in need of a little oxygen. It is all about match ups in this league and these teams are just too close to call.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        A big boost would be RPI getting back any of the injured players as this past weekend (even with the fabulous comeback from 3-0 against Brown) they looked like a tired team in need of a little oxygen. It is all about match ups in this league and these teams are just too close to call.
                        Well....one of our assets is we roll 4 lines and any one of them is not unlike any of the other. We lack snipers and score by committee. I would have thought we would have worn Colgate down on Friday as they only rolled 3 lines....however, in the second and third periods we were chasing them around instead of the other way around. I agree with your assessment. These games/teams are always too close to call and I've come to expect the unexpected.

Where's the best place to grab a good burger or sandwich before the game?? Going to meet up with Tim U. prior to the game.
                        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          Well....one of our assets is we roll 4 lines and any one of them is not unlike any of the other. We lack snipers and score by committee. I would have thought we would have worn Colgate down on Friday as they only rolled 3 lines....however, in the second and third periods we were chasing them around instead of the other way around. I agree with your assessment. These games/teams are always too close to call and I've come to expect the unexpected.

Where's the best place to grab a good burger or sandwich before the game?? Going to meet up with Tim U. prior to the game.
                          I would recommend the Recovery Room (sports bar) at the Hilton Garden Inn on Hoosick Street, not far from the HFH, but if any locals chime in, they will know more than I do.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                            ALot of us reccommend going to Brown's Brew Pub on River St. before the game. Down the hill from the Field House. Food is average to good, but alot of people enjoy the beers. I don't drink so I can't comment on that. There is also Dinosaur BBQ, their burgers aren't bad but the pulled pork sandwich is very good. I wouldn't go to the Recovery Room unless you are staying in the hotel to quickly run back to the room
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                              ALot of us reccommend going to Brown's Brew Pub on River St. before the game. Down the hill from the Field House. Food is average to good, but alot of people enjoy the beers. I don't drink so I can't comment on that. There is also Dinosaur BBQ, their burgers aren't bad but the pulled pork sandwich is very good. I wouldn't go to the Recovery Room unless you are staying in the hotel to quickly run back to the room
                              Brown's Brew Pub is the real deal, if you're looking for a good beer. They brew their own and (I think) they still have some of the standard beers. Food is actually pretty good, IMO. For beers and a burger, I'd go for that over Dinosaur any day. Dino has great BBQ, but I was less than impressed when I went there a couple years ago.
                              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X