RPI @ Yale, Saturday, 1/30/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI @ Yale, Saturday, 1/30/16

From a PWR perspective, is this a must-win game?

Re: RPI @ Yale, Saturday, 1/30/16

Let's Go, Red!

Comment

2015-16 Thread-Starting Statistics:

Code:
      Ralph Baer         8- 1- 3 19 points  .792
      engineerhockeyfan  3- 1- 0  6 points  .750
      fr joe             1- 2- 2  4 points  .400
      RPI92              1- 1- 0  2 points  .500
      DrDemento          1- 2- 0  2 points  .333
      fishcore12         0- 0- 1  1 point   .500
      jmhusker           0- 1- 0  0 points  .000
      Cumulative 2003-04 - 2015-16 Thread-Starting Statistics

Code:
      Ralph Baer        52-45-17 121 points  .531
      fr joe            43-49-12  98 points  .471
      engineerhockeyfan 24-25- 5  53 points  .491
      Red Cloud         11- 3- 1  23 points  .767
      hockeyhound       11-14- 1  23 points  .442
      GRussinko         10-15- 2  22 points  .407
      DrDemento          7-20- 4  18 points  .290
      burgie12           6- 2- 1  13 points  .722
      rpihockeyfan13     6- 6- 1  13 points  .500
      RPIBMW             4- 5- 1   9 points  .450
      FlagDUDE08         4- 0- 0   8 points 1.000
      HighlanderRPI      3- 4- 1   7 points  .438
      Waite21            2- 6- 2   6 points  .300
      jericho            3-10- 0   6 points  .231
      JCrawford          2- 1- 0   4 points  .667
      REDRocket          2- 3- 0   4 points  .400
      RPIHFH             1- 1- 1   3 points  .500
      JennyRN            1- 1- 1   3 points  .500
      fishcore12         0- 0- 3   3 points  .500
      berbs91            1- 0- 0   2 points 1.000
      ambersuds          1- 0- 0   2 points 1.000
      drshoen            1- 0- 0   2 points 1.000
      Jeffrey On         1- 1- 0   2 points  .500
      lugnut92           1- 2- 0   2 points  .333
      NYhockeyguy        1- 2- 0   2 points  .333
      RPI92              1- 3- 0   2 points  .250
      redrocker          0- 0- 1   1 point   .500
      RKarger            0- 0- 1   1 point   .500
      Rockchops          0- 1- 1   1 point   .250
      vicb               0- 3- 1   1 point   .125
      RPI_2003           0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      RenPI              0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      johnk              0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      Cookin4Fun         0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      RPI-Fan-Go-Red     0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      ZYanksRule         0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      redhead18          0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      Priceless          0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      REDaero91          0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
      jmhusker           0- 2- 0   0 points  .000
      hawthr             0- 2- 0   0 points  .000
      RPI fan 4 life     0- 3- 0   0 points  .000
      Gophers #1         0- 3- 0   0 points  .000

For your listening pleasure:

Fight Song
      http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music/LongHail.mp3

Alma Mater
      http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music3/...ma%20Mater.mp3
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI92 View Post
        A win goes a long way towards keeping us int he NCAA bid territory. But honestly, I would still settle for a tie in which we tie it up late (instead of losing a lead) and get out of town without an injury or suspension for the following game. i think I learned something from another thread from FlagDude. if you have modest expectations, you can have an upside surprise! Our boys have got to have more confidence and momentum after last night. We cannot allow the officials to take that away early with calls against us. Yesterday only 3 penalties called in total and we only got one. It is rare for us not to get more and especially early in th efirst period or late in the third.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by RPI92 View Post
          Every game is must win, essentially.

Comment

I have a commitment tonight so I won't be posting on the thread until much later. But I do hope to be keeping in touch with the score...

Comment

Last night we only played 30 minutes and came away with a win. That is not going to work tonight.
              We should have momentum coming out of last nights game, but Yale will be angry coming out of a loss.
              We are going to need to be focused and come out ready to play. If we come out the way we did last night, we will not catch up to a team of Yale's caliber.
              If we play our game for 60/65 minutes, we will be OK. That is all we can ask for.
              As for the referees, they have not called many penalties in the last three weeks. I think that they have received different instructions than what they got in the past. I like the way the games have been called. With the exception of reviewing just about every goal. As for the goal that was waived off last night, the referee that signaled goal was in the perfect position, so I don't see why it even went to review. If he couldn't tell from where he was standing, he needs to get his eyes checked.

Lets go red!!!!!!!!!!
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

EHF: From another perspective. Last night we played a team that gives up goals. Most games they play they have given up 3 or more. Even when we fell behind by 3 I am sure most of the team felt we could get back into the game (if not win it entirely). One key thing was not allowing that 4th goal to them. Although not given much credit for it, Kazzie just did what he had to after the first 3 and shut them off so we could complete a stirring comeback.
                As you correctly point out, Yale is a different animal in that they allow as few goals as we do. Their goaltending is excellent and among the best in the league. They might not be scoring as they had in the past few years but they certainly have enough to win most of their games given the low scores against them. Different team, different game, different approach by us and hopefully we are not looking at another comeback needing to be made.
                It is nice to have more total wins than total losses + ties at this time of the year. I think we have come around wonderfully for a team that started the way we did. But my mind every so often flips back to Alaska and where we would stand if we won one of those games (and perhaps tied the other) since we did have third period leads in them. With only a 36 game schedule for the season, just shows you have to get every point you can all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  i think I learned something from another thread from FlagDude...

Wait, what? We all know you can't type, but this is the longest typo ever.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    EHF: From another perspective. Last night we played a team that gives up goals. Most games they play they have given up 3 or more. Even when we fell behind by 3 I am sure most of the team felt we could get back into the game (if not win it entirely). One key thing was not allowing that 4th goal to them. Although not given much credit for it, Kazzie just did what he had to after the first 3 and shut them off so we could complete a stirring comeback.
                    As you correctly point out, Yale is a different animal in that they allow as few goals as we do. Their goaltending is excellent and among the best in the league. They might not be scoring as they had in the past few years but they certainly have enough to win most of their games given the low scores against them. Different team, different game, different approach by us and hopefully we are not looking at another comeback needing to be made.
                    It is nice to have more total wins than total losses + ties at this time of the year. I think we have come around wonderfully for a team that started the way we did. But my mind every so often flips back to Alaska and where we would stand if we won one of those games (and perhaps tied the other) since we did have third period leads in them. With only a 36 game schedule for the season, just shows you have to get every point you can all the time.
                    Don't be so fixated on Alaska. That was more than made up for by Cam Hackett.
                    We have a really good team this year. We are committed on defense (even with the bad turnovers in our own end), and we have been much better on offense than I expected. We just need to take one game at a time.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      We have a really good team this year. We are committed on defense (even with the bad turnovers in our own end), and we have been much better on offense than I expected. We just need to take one game at a time.
                      The Alaska games bother me for another reason altogether and that has to do with what is a flaw in the PWR system (IMO). We are losing our pairwise comparison with Alaska Anchorage and have no hope of flipping it because of an idiosyncrasy of the common opponents comparison which plays out as such:
                      - RPI and AA have 2 common opponents Alaska and ASU
                      - Records against ASU and wining percentage: RPI 2-0, 1.000; AA 1-0, 1.000
                      - Records against Alaska: RPI 0-1, .000; AA 0-1-1, .250
                      - Overall record and win % againt CO... RPI 2-1, .667; AA 1-1-1, .500
                      - Pairwise average of win %: RPI .500, AA .625

So in terms of overall record against CO, RPI is better, yet AA wins because the comparison is a mean of the means instead of the overall win %.

OK so that's a small sample size... there isn't really much of a difference really but... AA plays Alaska 2X times. If Alaska wins both of those games, then AA's CO record falls to 1-3-1 and overall win % to .300. Yet... their common opponents win % only falls to .567%.

It's hard to argue that any comparison where the team with a 1-3-1 record wins out over the team with a 2-1 record makes a lot of sense.

If I were to take a Flag Dude view of the world, who can look at an unopened bottle of beer and declare it half empty because of the small amount of air at the top of the neck, I would fully expect RPI to end up tied with another team at 15th in the PWR, lose the tie breaker because of a .0001 RPI difference, and end up on the outside of the tournament because of the autobid to AH. However, with the way this team is playing, I'm remain very optimistic. Just annoyed about this one stupid thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Wait, what? We all know you can't type, but this is the longest typo ever.
                        I must of put the wrong name in the post. What could i possibly be thinking? Too much Vodka last night?

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                          The Alaska games bother me for another reason altogether and that has to do with what is a flaw in the PWR system (IMO). We are losing our pairwise comparison with Alaska Anchorage and have no hope of flipping it because of an idiosyncrasy of the common opponents comparison which plays out as such:
                          - RPI and AA have 2 common opponents Alaska and ASU
                          - Records against ASU and wining percentage: RPI 2-0, 1.000; AA 1-0, 1.000
                          - Records against Alaska: RPI 0-1, .000; AA 0-1-1, .250
                          - Overall record and win % againt CO... RPI 2-1, .667; AA 1-1-1, .500
                          - Pairwise average of win %: RPI .500, AA .625

So in terms of overall record against CO, RPI is better, yet AA wins because the comparison is a mean of the means instead of the overall win %.

OK so that's a small sample size... there isn't really much of a difference really but... AA plays Alaska 2X times. If Alaska wins both of those games, then AA's CO record falls to 1-3-1 and overall win % to .300. Yet... their common opponents win % only falls to .567%.

It's hard to argue that any comparison where the team with a 1-3-1 record wins out over the team with a 2-1 record makes a lot of sense.

If I were to take a Flag Dude view of the world, who can look at an unopened bottle of beer and declare it half empty because of the small amount of air at the top of the neck, I would fully expect RPI to end up tied with another team at 15th in the PWR, lose the tie breaker because of a .0001 RPI difference, and end up on the outside of the tournament because of the autobid to AH. However, with the way this team is playing, I'm remain very optimistic. Just annoyed about this one stupid thing.
                          JM. while everything you say is true, it is all in the past and there is nothing we can do about it.
                          All we can control is the next game. We have done all right so far, and we are playing really good hockey, so lets just continue what we are doing. At this point, nothing has been poured into the glass yet.
                          Think happy thoughts and just win baby.

lets go red!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          Gary Player

Comment

EHF: Neither game would bother me expect we lost 2 third period leads, the officiating in one game sounded just very suspect to me (as I listed to both) and even so much as a very slight change as JM points out would have altered the PWR. I am not the PWR mathematician by far but I truly hope the scenario he points out in his post does not happen. No system is perfect and there are those who believe if you are truly deserving in life you get what you should. Sorry, I want our boys to get a shot at something we have not seen much in the past 20years, an extended post season. I point out the Alaska games because they stick in my mind but i could also mention the late goals given up to Clarkson, Quinnipiac, etc. But I felt then as I do now, that we got a bit of a raw deal in far west.

Comment

JM. while everything you say is true, it is all in the past and there is nothing we can do about it.
                              All we can control is the next game. We have done all right so far, and we are playing really good hockey, so lets just continue what we are doing. At this point, nothing has been poured into the glass yet.
                              Think happy thoughts and just win baby.

lets go red!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              And of course this is true and I believe it also. We can win out and everything becomes moot. here's hoping we do not have to even think about what could have been after more games are played.

Comment

Working...
                              X