PDA

View Full Version : North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

D2D
01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Anything can happen in rivalry games. Very few expected BSU to take home the trophy last season.
SteveO, as you know I'm a huge Gopher fan. And as much as they've improved in the second half I've got modest expectations going into this tournament. The main reason: they've not done particularly well playing at the X over the years, even when their talent/experience levels have exceeded that of this year's team. I don't have the stats to back this up, and hopefully I'm way off base in saying this, so please correct the record if you think their record at the X is better than what I'm thinking it is (sub-.500). Of course the first step is to put a good game together against the Beavers, the defending tournament champions, and get to the final against the winner of the other game.

Looking forward to a great weekend of Minnesota hockey!

SteveO
01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
The issue is you are looking at our record and coming up with a "trend"....when actually watching the games would show a different conclusion.

I don't think it would be a different conclusion. Coaches look at both aggregate trends and the details of how they got there.

First Time, Long Time
01-29-2016, 08:37 PM
I don't think it would be a different conclusion. Coaches look at both aggregate trends and the details of how they got there.

They also look at play..not just numbers.
Something you don't...which means....you don't know what you are talking about.

SteveO
01-29-2016, 08:40 PM
SteveO, as you know I'm a huge Gopher fan. And as much as they've improved in the second half I've got modest expectations going into this tournament. The main reason: they've not done particularly well playing at the X over the years, even when their talent/experience levels have exceeded that of this year's team. I don't have the stats to back this up, and hopefully I'm way off base in saying this, so please correct the record if you think their record at the X is better than what I'm thinking it is (sub-.500). Of course the first step is to put a good game together against the Beavers, the defending tournament champions, and get to the final against the winner of the other game.

Looking forward to a great weekend of Minnesota hockey!

Of course last season they bombed at the X, but remember the 2013-14 season they won the inaugural Cup. And the Gophers have historically played some of their best hockey at the X. I don't think the venue has much to do with performance. The question is will they carry their momentum into the weekend.

SteveO
01-29-2016, 08:42 PM
They also look at play..not just numbers.
Something you don't...which means....you don't know what you are talking about.

I played semi-professional hockey. I know a little bit about the game.

First Time, Long Time
01-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I played semi-professional hockey. I know a little bit about the game.

Good for you.
When discussing us...you're wrong.

SteveO
01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
So you conveniently left out the loss in the first game against Penn State despite the fact that it is just as relevant as their win. You are not good at this.

Just looking at the past 5 and current trends.

NCAAfan500
01-29-2016, 08:46 PM
I played semi-professional hockey. I know a little bit about the game.Semi-pro.....so you played peewees?

SteveO
01-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Good for you.
When discussing us...you're wrong.

You have your opinion. You're a very passionate fan, that's great. My observation is different.

SteveO
01-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Semi-pro.....so you played peewees?

Yep...pee wees, bantams, midgets, HS, juniors, etc. Much of my life has been on skates. Been in a full contact league recently, but I'm sidelined with a hip injury now.

First Time, Long Time
01-29-2016, 08:51 PM
You have your opinion. You're a very passionate fan, that's great. My observation is different.

Your observations are based on numbers...not actually observing.
But hey, I hope the gophers think we are trending down too

SteveO
01-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Your observations are based on numbers...not actually observing.
But hey, I hope the gophers think we are trending down too

I wouldn't say SCSU is seriously trending down. But there's been a few struggles lately that I'm sure Motzko is aware of. SCSU lost to U18 and CC in a week. That's most likely raised some concerns.

SCSU BlackandRed
01-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Lindgren didn't play against the U-18. But I'm sure he's concerned about that game.

SCSU BlackandRed
01-29-2016, 09:50 PM
You'd think with your semi-pro background you'd know the "how" and the "why" are just as important as the "what." And I love the 5 game comparisons considering nearly all Western NCAA schools play 2 game series. Splitting a series up doesn't make a ton of sense, does it now?

SteveO
01-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Lindgren didn't play against the U-18. But I'm sure he's concerned about that game.

Well, in a game like that coaches don't put the blame completely on the goalie. A lot of regulars played in front of him. SCSU couldn't hold the lead and collapsed in the third.

Tipsy McStagger
01-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Well, in a game like that coaches don't put the blame completely on the goalie. A lot of regulars played in front of him. SCSU couldn't hold the lead and collapsed in the third.

Why are you talking about that game? We are only talking about current trends. That one isnt in the last 5. Not relevant.

SteveO
01-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Why are you talking about that game? We are only talking about current trends. That one isnt in the last 5. Not relevant.

I have no interest in discussing it, just responding to a post. Hey look, you guys have a good evening.:) Should be a good tournament.

First Time, Long Time
01-29-2016, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't say SCSU is seriously trending down. But there's been a few struggles lately that I'm sure Motzko is aware of. SCSU lost to U18 and CC in a week. That's most likely raised some concerns.

The U-18 game was an exhibition..hence didn't count in the standings and we played it as such as we jumbled every line and pairing and also barely played any of our top guys in the 3rd.
Good god you are just grasping.
Again...take it from people who actually WATCH this team...we aren't concerned.

RL3AO
01-29-2016, 11:35 PM
The U-18 game looked like the NHL All-Star game. It was their 3rd game in 3 days and it didn't mean anything.

Now the CC one was weird, however CC looks to be getting on a bit of a roll. In January St. Cloud is 6-1-1 with 36 goals for and 14 goals allowed. If this is trending down, then I bet a lot of teams would like to be trending down.

DB Searle
01-29-2016, 11:36 PM
The U-18 game looked like the NHL All-Star game. It was their 3rd game in 3 days and it didn't mean anything.

Now the CC one was weird, however CC looks to be getting on a bit of a roll. In January St. Cloud is 6-1-1 with 36 goals for and 14 goals allowed. If this is trending down, then I bet a lot of teams would like to be trending down.

I think Omaha is trending down