PDA

View Full Version : North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

omahasioux1
02-01-2016, 12:16 AM
Same to you. Typical goofer.Brent is not a typical goof. Very level headed guy in all aspects. You sir are wrong.

SCSU Euro
02-01-2016, 12:16 AM
If it's PWR, cool. I have found that to not be the case most times. And yes, I rip MN fans for rooting a UND/WI/etc loss unless it's PWR related. I actually was told that many MSU fans were cheering louder for the MN loss than when MSU scored a goal. That's just not right. That's downright pathetic.

Should they cheer for another team's loss more than their teams win? No, of course not. But disliking a team is a God-given right to sports fans. I can honestly say that the shimmer is fading in my hatred for Gophers, but I'm certainly gonna cheer for Bemidji or Mankato (usually) over the Gophers.

Same to you. Typical goofer.

BH is not a typical ANYTHING, but certainly not a typical U of MN fan.

And let's be honest, there isn't usually a "typical" fan of any fanbase. All fanbases have good ones, all fanbases have clods. Sounds like you happened to run into the ones wearing maroon and gold, but they're just as likely to wear red and black or green and white or purple and black. And you also have to realize that in the little brother vs. big brother settings of this weekend, you couldn't really expect for there to be bad blood with any combination of Mankato, Bemidji or St. Cloud fans.

Husckey Domi Nation
02-01-2016, 12:21 AM
I just hope the City Pages will be there to cover the proceedings, and their nefarious writer that wrote the Power Play article will write another "hit-piece" and drive the final stake into the heart of the Gopher hockey program.

Your description of the recent article published in the City Pages is somewhat strong. After reading the article, I found much of the content factually accurate and the opinions or statements factually supported. In addition, some paragraphs, in part, in the article regarding its players provides as follows:

"[M]innesota's . . . system as bred self-admiration, stroked and infantilized by a culture that doesn't prize selflessness and hard work. . . .

"They're arrogant little jerks. . . . But they're jerks. There's no other way to put it."

Sounds like a harsh indictment on a program that wants to change the rules of NCAA eligibility for freshman to support its self-admitted best interests.

Husckey Domi Nation
02-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Brent is not a typical goof. Very level headed guy in all aspects. You sir are wrong.

Disagree with you sir.

Husckey Domi Nation
02-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Kudos to the great folks who work at the Xcel Center!

My buddies and I posed for photographs with Blizzard and SCSU hockey cheerleaders taken by Xcel Center staff during the second period intermission.

Enjoy telling the Xcel Center staff that they look good wearing Red and Black!

First Time, Long Time
02-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Your description of the recent article published in the City Pages is somewhat strong. After reading the article, I found much of the content factually accurate and the opinions or statements factually supported. In addition, some paragraphs, in part, in the article regarding its players provides as follows:

"[M]innesota's . . . system as bred self-admiration, stroked and infantilized by a culture that doesn't prize selflessness and hard work. . . .

"They're arrogant little jerks. . . . But they're jerks. There's no other way to put it."

Sounds like a harsh indictment on a program that wants to change the rules of NCAA eligibility for freshman to support its self-admitted best interests.

Let it go.

St. Clown
02-01-2016, 06:16 AM
A person is one dumb mofo if they don't know how to get around this little technicality. It's called "going out for a smoke and getting the hand-stamp." Those SCSU fans I had a pint with yesterday? Got the stamp, drank at the Liffey for a good hour or so. No probs. And they don't even smoke.

It's more about not being able to scalp your ticket for the second game than about actual re-entry into the arena. If you're just heading out for a drink, then it's all easy enough to get around, but re-selling your ticket becomes a challenge most people don't want to deal with. That's all. Not everybody wants to buy tickets to two games, and that's what the NSCC forces. This isn't the Frozen Four, and it's hubris to setup a ticketing policy as though it is a greater tournament.

St. Clown
02-01-2016, 06:21 AM
The money guys? Sounds like some sort of conspiracy. :rolleyes: The Cup games were included in the ticket package for Gopher season ticket holders. If the other schools chose not to follow this approach, it's certainly not the fault of the "money guys".

Why is it conspiratorial to understand that there are finance guys involved in pricing and marketing of tickets? It's not a bunch of coaches and refs planning this thing from start to finish.

I don't know if the tickets are included in other schools' season ticket packages (doubtful, given the distance from home ice), but forcing people to purchase tickets to games they may not have an interest in seeing will keep some buyers out of the market. That's all I'm saying.

burd
02-01-2016, 06:43 AM

There's the fun kind of gopher-hate, but this looks like harsh toilet training, IMO.

Tipsy McStagger
02-01-2016, 07:07 AM
If it's PWR, cool. I have found that to not be the case most times. And yes, I rip MN fans for rooting a UND/WI/etc loss unless it's PWR related. I actually was told that many MSU fans were cheering louder for the MN loss than when MSU scored a goal. That's just not right. That's downright pathetic.
You are told a lot of things.

Who would have thought that a fanbase that chants things like "Gopher rejects", "junior college", and "Husky women", and celebrates the fact that they are arrogant *****s, would cause the other in-state teams to take satisfaction in their losses? It boggles the mind.

You think maybe if all of the other schools hate your team, the problem might just be you?

The Rube
02-01-2016, 08:13 AM
You are told a lot of things.

Who would have thought that a fanbase that chants things like "Gopher rejects", "junior college", and "Husky women", and celebrates the fact that they are arrogant *****s, would cause the other in-state teams to take satisfaction in their losses? It boggles the mind.

You think maybe if all of the other schools hate your team, the problem might just be you?

Heavy is the crown. It's tough being the king. /tArrogance :)

Gurtholfin
02-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Then don't be butthurt when other fans root against your team.

You guys have earned it.

In fact, if you're truly as arrogant as you pretend to be, you should glory in the hate.

The Rube
02-01-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm not butthurt about it, I just think it's silly to root for an opposing team's loss more than your own team's win.

RL3AO
02-01-2016, 08:28 AM
I don't think its silly at all. Many times I find myself hoping the Packers lose more than the Vikings win.

icehawk
02-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Then don't be butthurt when other fans root against your team.

You guys have earned it.

In fact, if you're truly as arrogant as you pretend to be, you should glory in the hate.

Being a UND fan I love the hate we get from opposing teams fans. It kills them to see the team succeed. Hell I enjoy seeing the gophers lose but would much rather see UND win but I know it doesn't work that way with other fans. Like they say, to each their own.

Gurtholfin
02-01-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm not butthurt about it, I just think it's silly to root for an opposing team's loss more than your own team's win.

I think most are quite capable of rooting for both.

At the same time, even.

The Exiled One
02-01-2016, 08:42 AM
If you're the king, then this guy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton) is the emperor.

Bale
02-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Thats a pretty broad statement to make and likely just perception more than it is based in reality. I always laugh when people say that mankato fans cheer more for the Gophers to lose than for the Mavs to win because it's just not true. Most of the time when gopher scores are announced in arena, it's met more with a "meh" than anything else.

If anything, people do it to get under gopher fans' skin than anything else. After taking years of abuse from gopher fans while we were building our programs, now we have the.legitimate ability to dish it back. I, personally, think gopher fans are over-sensitive to it and don't realize just how much the rest of us got ragged on in the past. In essence, what I'm saying is turn about is fairplay.

St. Clown
02-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Kings win their own tournaments because nobody sincerely challenges the King. The problem for the Gophers is that they haven't sincerely challenged any other team in this state yet this season.

Heavy is the crown indeed. The U of M Squires would certainly know, while placing it upon their king's head.

Gurtholfin
02-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Being a UND fan I love the hate we get from opposing teams fans. It kills them to see the team succeed. Hell I enjoy seeing the gophers lose but would much rather see UND win but I know it doesn't work that way with other fans. Like they say, to each their own.

I don't love the hate that maybe the Packers, Blackhawks or Badgers get, but it doesn't bother me either and I understand it.

In addition, I think it's the pinnacle of self-centered arrogance to think that a large number of people out there take more joy rooting against your (not your, just in general) team than they do rooting for their own team. It may appear that way and there are probably some people out there like that, but the vast majority are just rooting against a rival or the dominant team du jour.

Trust me Goofs, you're not that important.