PDA

View Full Version : North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

joecct
01-31-2016, 10:31 PM
This. All this.

My son was looking for the Wooger at the X. Did anyone have a sighting?

Andrew J Carter
01-31-2016, 10:42 PM
Congrats to the Huskies! You've got a great squad and really jumped out strong on my Beavers. Win your league. Hope we can get revenge next time.

St. Clown
01-31-2016, 10:43 PM
My son was looking for the Wooger at the X. Did anyone have a sighting?

I don't think Woog is out in public much anymore. The rumored reason he moved out of the color analyst role for FSN was due to health reasons, and I heard that from someone I trust, so he's not going to be seen out and about anymore like he was back in the day - assuming it's true. So if he was at the X this weekend, he would've probably found his seat, either up in the press box or in a suite, and just planted himself there for most of his time in the arena.

D2D
01-31-2016, 10:47 PM
I don't think Woog is out in public much anymore. The rumored reason he moved out of the color analyst role for FSN was due to health reasons, and I heard that from someone I trust, so he's not going to be seen out and about anymore like he was back in the day - assuming it's true. So if he was at the X this weekend, he would've probably found his seat, either up in the press box or in a suite, and just planted himself there for most of his time in the arena.
He's been MIA at the Blueline Club luncheons this year. Used to attend them pretty regularly.

St. Clown
01-31-2016, 10:51 PM
2-0 SCSU after 1 period. Shots 5-3 Huskies. This thing could be played at Ridder Arena. Pathetic crowd.

Between the Gophers not generating any buzz this year, and the way they're handling the tickets with the one-ticket-per-day deal, they should expect lower turnouts. People aren't going to watch a bad Gopher team play in the Toilet Bowl of the North Star tournament, and if your ticket won't get you re-entry after checking out to a bar between games, people aren't coming back in or selling them to scalpers, Husky or Beaver fans either.

The money guys setting up this tournament solely based upon Gopher fans coming to the games, and made it too restrictive to get more people in the seats from other schools. It's their very own B1G mistake.

The Rube
01-31-2016, 10:51 PM

Health is indeed the rumor, and going by his commentary in the past, it adds up. :(

Tipsy McStagger
01-31-2016, 11:06 PM
He has Parkinson's disease. Was diagnosed 6 years ago. It has been in more than one newspaper column. Latest being Reusse's column about the SSP rink being renamed Doug Woog Arena.

Husckey Domi Nation
01-31-2016, 11:06 PM
Did the gophers just take last place at the North Star Cup? Hilarious.

Yes. Don't know if it was hilarious. But here are some common observations at tonight's NSCC game.

Proud fans of Minnesota State as well as Bemidgi State (ironically considering tonight's game) were polite and friendly to this SCSU fan and the other SCSU fans with me tonight who attended the NSCC Championship game. By constrast, Goofer fans were rude towards us or at best uninterested in the game.

The Rube
01-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Yes. Don't know if it was hilarious. But here are some common observations at tonight's NSCC game.

Proud fans of Minnesota State as well as Bemidgi State (ironically considering tonight's game) were polite and friendly to this SCSU fan and the other SCSU fans with me tonight who attended the NSCC Championship game. By constrast, Goofer fans were rude towards us or at best uninterested in the game.

Considering I had a pint with a couple SCSU fans yesterday between games, I'd say you ran into the exception. The only ruder fans than UND are SCSU. Yes, that includes WI fans.

And I have heard MANY reports (not just from MN fans) that any opposing fan was actively rooting against the Gophers this weekend, sometimes in an obscene manner.

D2D
01-31-2016, 11:21 PM
The money guys setting up this tournament solely based upon Gopher fans coming to the games, and made it too restrictive to get more people in the seats from other schools.
The money guys? Sounds like some sort of conspiracy. :rolleyes: The Cup games were included in the ticket package for Gopher season ticket holders. If the other schools chose not to follow this approach, it's certainly not the fault of the "money guys".

How else do the "money guys" make it "too restrictive" for fans from other schools? :confused:

The Rube
01-31-2016, 11:24 PM
Between the Gophers not generating any buzz this year, and the way they're handling the tickets with the one-ticket-per-day deal, they should expect lower turnouts. People aren't going to watch a bad Gopher team play in the Toilet Bowl of the North Star tournament, and if your ticket won't get you re-entry after checking out to a bar between games, people aren't coming back in or selling them to scalpers, Husky or Beaver fans either.

The money guys setting up this tournament solely based upon Gopher fans coming to the games, and made it too restrictive to get more people in the seats from other schools. It's their very own B1G mistake.

A person is one dumb mofo if they don't know how to get around this little technicality. It's called "going out for a smoke and getting the hand-stamp." Those SCSU fans I had a pint with yesterday? Got the stamp, drank at the Liffey for a good hour or so. No probs. And they don't even smoke.

Husckey Domi Nation
01-31-2016, 11:36 PM
All 4 teams enter the tourney with winning records over the last 5 games:

Gophers (5-0-0) avg. 5.6 goals/game, GA 6, goal differential +22
MSUM (3-1-1) avg. 4.8 goals/game, GA 7, goal differential +12
SCSU (3-1-1) avg. 4.2 goals/game, GA 12, goal differential +9
BSU (3-1-1) avg. 3 goals/game, GA 5, goal differential +10

Gophers have highest avg. goals/game and goal differential. Gophers and SCSU have each played 1 ranked team over the last five, MSUM and BSU no ranked team over last five. SCSU, MSUM and the Gophers currently lead their respective conferences. This may be the best NSCC tourney yet. I've got the Gophers edging SCSU in a close game on Sunday for the Cup.

Thanks for your opinion as to the "trend" of the teams going into the NSCC tournament. I agree that the recently concluded NSCC tournament had four teams which were playing well prior to the tournament.

However, your subjective decision to use the most recent five (5) games did not take into consideration a "trend" using objective reasons such as sufficient time period, same or similar opposing teams played, and time off by the teams prior to commencement of play (i.e. Christmas break). I suggest that a better time period would include the conference or non-conference games played by each team since the teams resumed play after Christmas break up to the current time (i.e. the month of January 2016). The results for these four teams for this more objective time period are as follows:

Bemidji State: 6-2-2
Minnesota: 6-4-0
Minnesota State: 4-3-1
St. Cloud State: 8-1-1

Certainly this sample result includes the results of the recently completed NSCC tournament. However, the team that was trending best going into this tournament, through this tournament, and following this tournament was the same team.

St. Cloud State University.

Husckey Domi Nation
01-31-2016, 11:39 PM
Considering I had a pint with a couple SCSU fans yesterday between games, I'd say you ran into the exception. The only ruder fans than UND are SCSU. Yes, that includes WI fans.

And I have heard MANY reports (not just from MN fans) that any opposing fan was actively rooting against the Gophers this weekend, sometimes in an obscene manner.

Couldn't disagree with you more. You are clearly clueless on how college hockey fans consider other Minnesota teams.

SCSU Euro
01-31-2016, 11:46 PM

Them being obscene its another matter entirely, but wouldn't you expect St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato and Duluth fans to cheer against you every. single. time. unless they had a very specific (probably PWR-fueled) reason to?

The Rube
01-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Them being obscene its another matter entirely, but wouldn't you expect St. Cloud, Bemidji, Mankato and Duluth fans to cheer against you every. single. time. unless they had a very specific (probably PWR-fueled) reason to?

If it's PWR, cool. I have found that to not be the case most times. And yes, I rip MN fans for rooting a UND/WI/etc loss unless it's PWR related. I actually was told that many MSU fans were cheering louder for the MN loss than when MSU scored a goal. That's just not right. That's downright pathetic.

The Rube
01-31-2016, 11:50 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more. You are clearly clueless on how college hockey fans consider other Minnesota teams.

Frankly, you're a friggin' idiot, so I don't care. Good day, sir.

Husckey Domi Nation
01-31-2016, 11:55 PM
Great tournament play by St. Cloud State University. SCSU won the Alaska sponsored tournament earlier this year, and now this tournament. This SCSU team has what it takes to not only win it's conference tournament in March, but the NCAA tournament in April.

Had a wonderful time tonight talking with Minnesota State fans about how happy they were to win today and wished SCSU the best of luck in tonight's game.

Late tonight had several private, warm talks with Bemidji fans who were happy with the play of their team and congratulated us on SCSU winning the tournament.

Even had 'high-fives' with some UMD fans wearing their team's colors at the Xcel arena although their team was not at the tournament.

Had no positive interaction with any University of Minnesota fans. Not one. Most were blank stares or offensive glares. Had one guy "give me the finger" because I was wearing an SCSU sweater.

Husckey Domi Nation
01-31-2016, 11:56 PM
Frankly, you're a friggin' idiot, so I don't care. Good day, sir.

Same to you. Typical goofer.

The Rube
01-31-2016, 11:58 PM
Same to you. Typical goofer.

One of your own fans, a good friend of mine, dubbed SCSU fans as Helmet Kids. You certainly fit the definition.

RL3AO
02-01-2016, 12:02 AM
If St. Cloud is going to get a natty, this is going to be their best chance. Amazing senior group and some really really good underclassmen.