Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Anyone that thinks SCSU isn't heavy favorite is kidding him or herself.
    SCSU is clearly the favorite in this field, but I will give SteveO the fact that this Gopher team is playing much better now than when the two teams met before. This is hockey. One win per day is all a team needs, so the odds the Gophers win it are much better now (based on the amount of improvement in their recent play) than if this tourney were 4-6 weeks ago, so one could argue about your use of the term "heavy" (semantics). Of course because it is single elimination hockey, there is no guarantee it won't be Gophs v SCSU playing at 1 on Sunday either. And I don't feel like (and am too lazy to look back) SteveO said Gophs should be considered the favorite, just his prediction they'd win.

I could just as easily predict that the Gophs will slip in for a quickie early against the beavers. Getting overconfident scoring so easily , the Gophs pull back a little and so when things start to get rough and bloody during the first period, they allow the Beavers to come multiple times down the ice and score a few. Then the Beavers manage to hold on through all the Gopher surges to eke out a win. It could happen. Doesn't mean I am saying the beavs are better than the Gophs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      [insert mild insult at SCSU]
      [SCSU fans go nuts, get defensive, and rail on Gopher fans]
      [Gopher fans laugh at little sister]
      [SCSU fans accuse MN fans of being obsessive, not noticing the hypocrisy]
      So predictable, isn't it?

Comment

SteveO, I think you're gonna need a bigger boat.
        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Well, it is game day. DL and myself will be at the Liffy. Yes, Hoven, I will get an Irish Coffee and drink it in your honor. Not because he stated the obvious earlier in this thread, but it is a traditional drink at the Liffy. Then pile on about 3 or 10 Irish Car Bombs.

On a side note: Go Huskies!
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
            Well, it is game day. DL and myself will be at the Liffy. Yes, Hoven, I will get an Irish Coffee and drink it in your honor. Not because he stated the obvious earlier in this thread, but it is a traditional drink at the Liffy. Then pile on about 3 or 10 Irish Car Bombs.

On a side note: Go Huskies!
            Man, I'm tempted to join you, I'm heading to Lino Lakes this afternoon on a growler run at Hammerheart. Call it a game-time decision...yes, I'm serious. Hammerheart opens at 2pm, so the timing would be right on.....[edit] for the MN game

Edit: Sigh. And just figured out that you won't stay for the MN game. No Liffey for me. Church tomorrow, though, if you guys are up for it.
            Last edited by The Rube; 01-30-2016, 09:57 AM.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Man, I'm tempted to join you, I'm heading to Lino Lakes this afternoon on a growler run at Hammerheart. Call it a game-time decision...yes, I'm serious. Hammerheart opens at 2pm, so the timing would be right on.....[edit] for the MN game

Edit: Sigh. And just figured out that you won't stay for the MN game. No Liffey for me. Church tomorrow, though, if you guys are up for it.
              I'd stay if you make your way to St. Paul.
              "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

I'd stay if you make your way to St. Paul.
                You are quite the devil. I will text you at 2ish, and let you know.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You are quite the devil. I will text you at 2ish, and let you know.
                  I know I'm the offspring of the devil. I'll be there for all the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    SCSU is clearly the favorite in this field, but I will give SteveO the fact that this Gopher team is playing much better now than when the two teams met before. This is hockey. One win per day is all a team needs, so the odds the Gophers win it are much better now (based on the amount of improvement in their recent play) than if this tourney were 4-6 weeks ago, so one could argue about your use of the term "heavy" (semantics). Of course because it is single elimination hockey, there is no guarantee it won't be Gophs v SCSU playing at 1 on Sunday either. And I don't feel like (and am too lazy to look back) SteveO said Gophs should be considered the favorite, just his prediction they'd win.

I could just as easily predict that the Gophs will slip in for a quickie early against the beavers. Getting overconfident scoring so easily , the Gophs pull back a little and so when things start to get rough and bloody during the first period, they allow the Beavers to come multiple times down the ice and score a few. Then the Beavers manage to hold on through all the Gopher surges to eke out a win. It could happen. Doesn't mean I am saying the beavs are better than the Gophs.
                    It was more the ridiculous "sample" he was using. Gophers have won five in a row, so I will just include the last five even though their loss the previous night against PSU is just as recent and relevant as their win.

Anyone can win this tournament, there are no terrible teams in it.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I know I'm the offspring of the devil. I'll be there for all the games.
                      I'm 99% in, after thinking about it. Carpe diem.

Comment

Is there a more angry fanbase even when things are going well?

Hope the Gophs take care of business today so we can see how they match up against the #2. Would be fun to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          From the Gophers perspective...they appear to be very motivated:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-h...ind/367065641/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Is there a more angry fanbase even when things are going well?

Hope the Gophs take care of business today so we can see how they match up against the #2. Would be fun to see.
                            Sad part is you think we're angry...we're not.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

[insert mild insult at SCSU]
                              [SCSU fans go nuts, get defensive, and rail on Gopher fans]
                              [Gopher fans laugh at little sister]
                              [SCSU fans accuse MN fans of being obsessive, not noticing the hypocrisy]
                              Yeah, pretty much nailed it there. I'm not sure I've seen a more jr. high like fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                It was more the ridiculous "sample" he was using. Gophers have won five in a row, so I will just include the last five even though their loss the previous night against PSU is just as recent and relevant as their win.

Apparently I touched a nerve. It's not supposed to be valid "sample size". Just highlighting a current trend and comparing teams. You're free to post your own "sample size" as well. Not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X