Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
    Every game has the potential of injuries so it sounds like you are saying we should not play any games to have a healthy team. Or are you saying if we sustain an injury playing a conference game it is better even though it could cost us a great year?? To the Capital Region, which I know you don't live in, this is a big game. It is similar to the Union Shoes game, do you think that game is meaningless?? Perhaps if you lived here you would have a different opinion.
    I am sure you realize that after this weekend we have all 10 games against our own league opponents in games that count in the standings. I also am sure you know our chances of getting an at large bid to the NCAA tournament are not good. Our only decent chance to get into the final 16 field is to do as well in our league games that count as possible and that is made far easier if we can earn a bye or get a near top seeding to play perhaps what could be considered an easier opponent and play that game at home. You also know that all injuries are not season ending and getting hurt in October may still allow a player to be back for most of the season while getting hurt at the end of January may mean missing some of our top players for the most important stretch of the season. i made no reference to whether the players enjoy this game or what the fans want but I think most posters and fans would like to see this team in the ECAC final four and if possible reach the NCAA tournament field. I have been fortunate to be there in person in 1995 at lake Placid to see us win our last ECAC championship and going back further even more fortunate to be in Detroit in 1985 for our last NCAA final four (which of course ended very well).
    I was just expressing my opinion as a 50+ year follower of this program. it is just an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. Several agree with me, some more strongly than others. Some disagree and I respect that. But this seems to be like arguing religion or politics. I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I could not care less what they think or how they defend their position. Just trying to keep some conversation going on this thread and bring up some interesting aspects of our season.
    As far as attending the game, my wife and I have attended between 500-600 RPI hockey games over the years and enjoyed every one (well perhaps not some of the losses up at Potsdam or Canton or Ithaca) so I am sure i would love the game in Albany. Besides it would give us a chance to go back to Jack's Oyster House again. personally, I would prefer to see a two game weekend there against North Dakota or Providence or Penn state right now.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
      I live in the Capital Region and it’s not a big game to me, nor is it to the people I’m going with, who all live in the CD region. Now I guess you guys can rip my opinion. Geesh, it’s reading like a political debate here. FWIW, with Dartmouth’s 3-0 win over Cornell they’ve jumped to #16 in the PairWise.
      Saw that Turk. I am not terribly surprised as DC played us very tough. it is all a matter of match ups and some teams can just beat others more often because they just match up well. We have shown that against some of the better teams ourselves (Yale, Quinnipiac, BC) but often just have so much trouble with Brown and Princeton. I guess this just shows how every point counts and losing leads in the third period come back to haunt us when we lose that one extra point every so often.

Comment

I think the game has slowly grown in stature and is great for college hockey in the CD. For people that think this game has no meaning, I guess I question why nobody shows up for the league games on campus yet there will be 8-9,000 tomorrow night. Secondly as far as the timing hurting either team, don't see that either. A big win could carry momentum for either team down the stretch. I don't see anyone in Boston complaining about the timing of the beanpot and 2 or 3 of those teams are usually in contention for league titles in February. Enjoy the hockey and the coverage.

Comment

The Mayor's game could be considered on a similar basis to the consolation game that the ECAC used to contest. If you are on the bubble it might get you in the tournament; on the other hand if you are safely in it could be a detriment. Of course having this game with 10 more games in the regular schedule left it is unknown at this time as to its possible final impact. Certainly it is not meaningless to the PWR as a win would provide separation from the teams directly below us. To argue whether it should or should not be played is moot at this point since it is on this year's schedule. The top 15 in PWR currently have a large RPI separation from those directly below (Rensselaer, Dartmouth, Minnesota, Minn-Duluth, etc.) and the only way we can flip some of those comparisons (currently losing every one to the teams above us) is by winning games. As I write this we are #16 by a hair in RPI with some results not yet in on Friday evening. But currently with 43 won comparisons it seems that we can only flip another 6 with any reasonable expectation (BC, Cornell, Yale, Mass-Lowell, Denver and Penn St.). A few others would only be flippable by a clean sweep or close to it. That would get us to 49 won comparisons or about #11 Pairwise prior to the ECAC playoffs if things go well. As we cannot expect to get much help from the others (read WAP Bracketology and see how much help we aren't getting) we just have to win a super-majority of the remaining games or else just win Placid. This team has proven it has enough talent to skate with the big boys. Mostly that starts and ends with Kasdorf. Although we have been outshot lately in most games, his control of rebounds has been remarkable and the ability to limit second chance shots has made the difference. Go Red!
          "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

I suspect that the Mayor's Trophy game will continue whether or not all of us approve.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I suspect that the Mayor's Trophy game will continue whether or not all of us approve.
              A friend told me today that he thought this was the last year of the agreement between the schools and the TUC. I couldn’t find anything on it though. Like Ralph, I think it will continue.
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                A friend told me today that he thought this was the last year of the agreement between the schools and the TUC. I couldn’t find anything on it though. Like Ralph, I think it will continue.
                I suppose that it is possible that the TUC may not want the game to continue, but I would be surprised if the two coaches don't want it.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I suspect you're right.

Ralph, how's the snowstorm in DC progressing? Living up (down) to expectations?

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                    Every game has the potential of injuries so it sounds like you are saying we should not play any games to have a healthy team. Or are you saying if we sustain an injury playing a conference game it is better even though it could cost us a great year?? To the Capital Region, which I know you don't live in, this is a big game. It is similar to the Union Shoes game, do you think that game is meaningless?? Perhaps if you lived here you would have a different opinion.
                    The Dutchman's Shoes game is a league contest.

Comment

I suppose that it is possible that the TUC may not want the game to continue, but I would be surprised if the two coaches don't want it.
                      I think they've talked about it as a step in generating exposure for both programs in the area and building the fan base by getting the games outside of Troy and Schenectady. But I think for this to work they need local media to understand there's a loyal and dedicated fan base for hockey around here and to begin to balance the coverage of all things basketball with a little more coverage of the hockey teams. The Times Union used to do preview stories before RPI games and used to have reporters covering away games. Quietly, most of that has disappeared and the stories have become shorter and less frequent. Thankfully we have WAP and the other blogs and plenty of sources of information and places to discuss hockey. And Matt Graves and others at the TU and Schott at the Gazette and Weaver at the Record all work really hard and do a great job covering hockey. My frustration is more with the higher ups at these outlets (TV too) who just assume people always want more basketball. I know the papers are all hanging on as best they can but it's frustrating to see three or four stories in the Times Union on Siena and UAlbany hoops on the same night that both RPI and Union are home and will draw a combined 6,000+ fans to their games and virtually nothing in the way of hockey coverage.

Personally, I could take it or leave it with the Mayor's Cup game and don't have strong feelings one way or another. To me the most exciting matchup with Union outside of conference play would be to meet them in the postseason with something on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                        I think they've talked about it as a step in generating exposure for both programs in the area and building the fan base by getting the games outside of Troy and Schenectady. But I think for this to work they need local media to understand there's a loyal and dedicated fan base for hockey around here and to begin to balance the coverage of all things basketball with a little more coverage of the hockey teams. The Times Union used to do preview stories before RPI games and used to have reporters covering away games. Quietly, most of that has disappeared and the stories have become shorter and less frequent. Thankfully we have WAP and the other blogs and plenty of sources of information and places to discuss hockey. And Matt Graves and others at the TU and Schott at the Gazette and Weaver at the Record all work really hard and do a great job covering hockey. My frustration is more with the higher ups at these outlets (TV too) who just assume people always want more basketball. I know the papers are all hanging on as best they can but it's frustrating to see three or four stories in the Times Union on Siena and UAlbany hoops on the same night that both RPI and Union are home and will draw a combined 6,000+ fans to their games and virtually nothing in the way of hockey coverage.

Personally, I could take it or leave it with the Mayor's Cup game and don't have strong feelings one way or another. To me the most exciting matchup with Union outside of conference play would be to meet them in the postseason with something on the line.
                        Take a look at television ratings when both are being broadcast. Take a look at attendance figures when both are going on around the same time. There's a reason basketball is covered much more than hockey. And it's not just because it's easier on the multimedia presenters (hearing that from a TWCS crewman at a game has stuck in my head for a while).

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                          I suspect you're right.

Ellicott City north of DC I measured between 12 and 15 inches of snow with 3 foot and deeper drifts at 8:30AM. The snow is continuing and the winds are howling and we even had thunder rublings about 4AM this morning. I would say this is certainly living up to expectation.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            Ellicott City north of DC I measured between 12 and 15 inches of snow with 3 foot and deeper drifts at 8:30AM. The snow is continuing and the winds are howling and we even had thunder rublings about 4AM this morning. I would say this is certainly living up to expectation.
                            Vic: Fantastic to see you still posting. You had not updated the standings contest and had me a tad concerned. Was getting ready to email you when i saw this. The weather here is beyond horrible but due to severe drifting cannot measure the snow yet (but is certainly over a foot). Stay warm and dry.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              The Dutchman's Shoes game is a league contest.
                              Yes it is and virtually always an important game in the standings which can determine who gets to play in the Division III playoffs. I do not often get to say this but thank your FD for this.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                                I suspect you're right.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X