PDA

View Full Version : RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]

FlagDUDE08
03-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Apparently a Clarkson education doesn't include an eye exam. You should try out to be a ref next season.

It also doesn't include how to format web addresses properly. ;)

DrDemento
03-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Apparently a Clarkson education doesn't include an eye exam. You should try out to be a ref next season.
Lug: A Clarkson education is quite comprehensive. And four year full graduate from there is well equipped to go on and apply to RPI for admission and I have heard that about 5-10% can actually meet the admission standards if they also get special tutoring. (VicB-Only kidding and this is all in jest. I know the percentage is much closer to 20%);)

Ralph Baer
03-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Lug: A Clarkson education is quite comprehensive. And four year full graduate from there is well equipped to go on and apply to RPI for admission and I have heard that about 5-10% can actually meet the admission standards if they also get special tutoring. (VicB-Only kidding and this is all in jest. I know the percentage is much closer to 20%);)

FWIW, the two top math majors in the Clarkson class of '68 both went to RPI for grad school. The so-called top student left after a year. The other completed his PhD, and I worked either directly or indirectly for him for most of my professional career.

DrDemento
03-11-2016, 03:11 PM
FWIW, the two top math majors in the Clarkson class of '68 both went to RPI for grad school. The so-called top student left after a year. The other completed his PhD, and I worked either directly or indirectly for him for most of my professional career.
Was it your job to correct all the mistakes he made?

fr. joe
03-12-2016, 01:44 AM
was it your job to correct all the mistakes he made?

;)

Ralph Baer
03-12-2016, 03:36 AM
Was it your job to correct all the mistakes he made?

No. Government managers are supposed to make mistakes. :D
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/research/directorates-divisions/ocean-atmosphere/associate-director/

Waite21
03-12-2016, 02:22 PM
With all the trouble RPI players seem to have had winning their share of faceoffs, I was thinking about Evan Tironese.

As I recall, he came to RPI with a reputation as a terrific faceoff guy, but once the season started, it seemed as though we didn't get much chance to see how good he was on the draw, because he just kept getting thrown out of one faceoff after another. Then he got hurt and missed most of the season, though his point-a-game performance through the six games he did play gives promise for next year.

Anyway, I've had the impression that during the latter part of the season, linesmen have been much less inclined to throw guys out of faceoffs than they were earlier in the year. I know that when I attended the game at Princeton, there was one linesman who, if anybody made a false move before he dropped the puck, would stand there and lecture the players for an annoyingly long time - but he let them both stay in there for the faceoff.

Has anyone else had the same impression that linesmen aren't throwing guys out as much, or am I imagining things?

DrDemento
03-12-2016, 03:27 PM
With all the trouble RPI players seem to have had winning their share of faceoffs, I was thinking about Evan Tironese.

As I recall, he came to RPI with a reputation as a terrific faceoff guy, but once the season started, it seemed as though we didn't get much chance to see how good he was on the draw, because he just kept getting thrown out of one faceoff after another. Then he got hurt and missed most of the season, though his point-a-game performance through the six games he did play gives promise for next year.

Anyway, I've had the impression that during the latter part of the season, linesmen have been much less inclined to throw guys out of faceoffs than they were earlier in the year. I know that when I attended the game at Princeton, there was one linesman who, if anybody made a false move before he dropped the puck, would stand there and lecture the players for an annoyingly long time - but he let them both stay in there for the faceoff.

Has anyone else had the same impression that linesmen aren't throwing guys out as much, or am I imagining things?
We were there with you at Princeton and I agree that I had never seen a linesman hold onto the puck for so long before dropping it. Often he made a couple of false moves first but still held onto the puck. No, you are not imagining things. I often imagine things but they have no relationship to hockey.;)