RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    How can anyone justify not liking dogs (or cats for that matter)? Children i can see, since as they grow you have to pay for college and weddings.
    No idea, but a dog would probably mellow him out a bit
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
      this has been one of the better Appert-led clubs, a lot of energy, a lot of playing for each other, and the results have shown on the ice. Are they closing out games? No. Could you realistically expect them to, after the last 2-3 years? No. The collective emotional IQ of the team is growing - the Brown/ Harvard wins are good examples of that. A team does not just form in the spate of 10 games. And it's ok to be critical. The denouncing of the team and program that happens with 1 or 2 posters is what i find inexcusable.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        And I wouldn't come close to even fathoming the ECAC semis.
        You have to see that it's crap like this that irritates people. Obviously, it's folly to say they'll definitely make it that far. But you make it sound like it's a foregone conclusion that they'll fall short and complete this so-called "meltdown." That's just a bummer of a statement to make and people are sick of it. If we're going to feel down about this team, at least in a public setting, how about having it be because of results that have actually happened? This team still has everything to play for, and I'd rather cheer them on than get a head start on the complaining.
        Tyler

"I just want to see one conference semifinal appearance before I die" is probably the most pathetic thought I've ever had. Go 'Tute.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          From the "Pick the ECAC Standings" thread....

So despite picking the team to finish 11th in the league, they are still playing well below expectations anyway??
          Show me how the offense is clicking. So they've won some games. Most have been of the 2-1 variety. My point still stands in that they can't play offense.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
            A team does not just form in the spate of 10 games.
            It's a 34 game season. How long do you need? This isn't like the NHL, where an 82-game season means you're not just worried about a stretch of ten.

Comment

Originally posted by RPIPuzzleGuy View Post
              You have to see that it's crap like this that irritates people. Obviously, it's folly to say they'll definitely make it that far. But you make it sound like it's a foregone conclusion that they'll fall short and complete this so-called "meltdown." That's just a bummer of a statement to make and people are sick of it. If we're going to feel down about this team, at least in a public setting, how about having it be because of results that have actually happened? This team still has everything to play for, and I'd rather cheer them on than get a head start on the complaining.
              The old saying goes when it comes to the playoffs, "You don't talk about the next step until you've climbed the step in front of you." Every team must participate in the quarterfinals in order to qualify for the semis. That is a mathematical certainty. Participating in the semis is not a mathematical certainty, yet not a mathematically impossibility, either. Based upon both statements, that is why I don't want to even want to fathom the ECAC semis.

Comment

Show me how the offense is clicking. So they've won some games. Most have been of the 2-1 variety. My point still stands in that they can't play offense.
                So you're complaining that they aren't blowing teams out. I'm sure FlagDUDETTE wants more, but hey, sometimes five seconds is all you need.
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  It's a 34 game season. How long do you need? This isn't like the NHL, where an 82-game season means you're not just worried about a stretch of ten.
                  Length of season is irrelevant. Sometimes it takes 40 games. We're talking about the human element here, and whether it is pro or college or mites is irrelevant too. And I'd say the t-e-a-m has gelled through the year, something you are clearly missing behind the doomsday/never-win-again complex you are clinging to.
                  Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by RPIPuzzleGuy View Post
                    All the more reason to do as most people on this thread and ignore the very few who seldom say anything positive and apparently care only about gaining attention for themselves. Don't engage, ignore.
                    There are certainly issues to address, as with just about every program, but right now this team is in the midst of a fairly successful season and as some have said already, have a shot at Lake Placid and the NCAA Tournament. Let's pull for them to get as far as they can and save the deep analysis for the long off-season. LGR!

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      So you're complaining that they aren't blowing teams out. I'm sure FlagDUDETTE wants more, but hey, sometimes five seconds is all you need.
                      Our in-conference goals/game is smaller than last year. To be fair, it's up overall, but the context of the post is very specifically with league play. The point is that I am being lambasted over picking the team 11th because I didn't believe the offense would click, and RPI is not presently 11th. That doesn't mean the defence can't improve, which it obviously has. It's still comparing an apple to an orange.

I gave my reasoning for why I picked RPI where I did, and I'm sticking by it. So what if I got a ranking wrong? The hypocrite all of a sudden decides that a casual fan forum game is of the utmost importance, after throwing a hissy-fit over the false narrative that I believe some other casual fan forum game is of the utmost importance. To hell with that idiot.

Comment

We're all so happy here. Anyway. We should get two points out of this weekend minimum, and there's no reason we can't get all four. The team has something definite to play for, and while we can't guarantee a bye with a weekend sweep, we can at least do our part.

EDIT: To that end,
                        Code:
                           |    3     4     5     6     7     8
                        ---------------------------------------
                        22 |                          6.4   1.5
                        23 |              0.2   1.8   6.1   0.4
                        24 |        0.0  11.4  19.7   9.5
                        25 |        2.3  10.9   1.7
                        26 |  0.9  16.1  11.1
                        edits on edits: Or put another way,
                        Code:
                           |     3     4     5     6     7     8
                        ----------------------------------------
                        22 |                          81.0  19.0
                        23 |               2.4  21.2  71.8   4.7
                        24 |         0.0  28.1  48.5  23.4
                        25 |        15.4  73.2  11.4
                        26 |   3.2  57.3  39.5
                        (the first table being overall odds, the second being the odds of finishing in a certain position given a certain number of points)
                        Last edited by lugnut92; 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM.
                        RPI Pep Band
                        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                          We're all so happy here. Anyway. We should get two points out of this weekend minimum, and there's no reason we can't get all four. The team has something definite to play for, and while we can't guarantee a bye with a weekend sweep, we can at least do our part.
                          One thing that is certainly going for us is that we've had "late season luck" in the past, especially when it comes to the opponents we have (and why the heck do we almost always seem to play them late in the year?! Too much of an outlier for New England or something?). Not to mention, the opportunity to get the "sweep Cornell" monkey off our back; last time we did that was the 90's, yes? The "late season luck" seems to work best if we have nothing to lose. We already know we're getting another home weekend. Just play our game, and enjoy it.

Oh, and can we tell them again each night we're playing the #1 team in the nation?

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                            We're all so happy here.
                            You must be new in these parts. Certain posters are only happy when they're miserable. Fortunately for them, that's most of the time. And when they can't find reasonable reasons to be miserable, they invent them.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

As the old saying goes, your offense is generated out of playing solid defense. Offense is not something you play. It is an element of a team which is derived from creativity and concepts. RPI has won 11 one goal games (overall schedule) this year. Whether it's 5-1, 4-1, 3-2, 2-1, 1-0, a win is a win. It is harder to win one goal games than it it to blow someone out. To ServinisScores point, this year's team is different than other years, which is a credit to the players and the internal leadership of the team (Bradley and crew).
                              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                You must be new in these parts. Certain posters are only happy when they're miserable. Fortunately for them, that's most of the time. And when they can't find reasonable reasons to be miserable, they invent them.
                                They can always become fans of the Union women's team. All misery -- all of the time.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X