Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    For the sake of keeping the other thread closed, allow me to respond to this here:

Yes, I think they have a reasonable chance. Why? Quite simply, there's still four games left. That's 8 points. With only two points separating RPI and SLU, and 5 separating RPI and Yale, anything can happen in the yearly roller coaster ride that is the ECAC. Is it going to take a great effort? Yes, it's going to take a great effort, but it's hardly impossible. Also, I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth about low expectations, I've never put words in your mouth, so don't do it to me. Also, this season I would hardly say that RPI has won "every now and then" in regards to their injuries, the majority of the time they've come away with at least a point. Remember, RPI isn't a Michigan, OSU, Penn St, BC or any other school with a big athletic budget. These are kids that choose to come to RPI because they want to be here, get an education and play hockey. I for one am glad that RPI isn't lowering the standards of admission, I don't want to devalue my own degree. Please read my previous post, I never asked how many games RPI won in the past ten years, because, quite frankly, it's irrelevant to this season. I was simply making a generalization (something you like to do.) But, if you like to answer questions that were never asked to help you prove a point, so be it. I'll remain optimistic in my view of the team, and you can remain thinking that RPI will never recover.
    If Jericho can respond to a post from teh scores thread, I can move over here my response to the same post.
    Outside of a few small disagreements, we seem to be on exactly the same page. I am not a statistician or mathematician. But 10 years is more than enough time to get a representation of the program. Pick any ten year period you want. It is not the recruits coming in, it is not the boys, it is not the injuries, it is not the bad bounces, and it is not the constant having to play against the hot goaltender. Every goaltender seems to be hot against us in the third period and in any playoff games that we are fortunate enough to play. I think that over the past decade we have had as much talent or as little as any ten year period in RPI history. And what is more telling is compare our last ten years to two other ECAC teams that changed coaches around the same time as we did. Yale and Union are a very fair comparison and I think anyone here would trade our record for theirs over that time period. Perhaps it takes a longer term perspective to really see the difference in this program and guys like me, DeepRed, and Ralph have a somewhat different set of expectations as we have seen far more years of the program.

Can I remain optimistic? Sure. But I have to keep a practical outlook. 10 years of history makes me think that we are witnessing the same thing again. Those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them (or something like that). i love this team, I love this program and I am a fervent supporter of the school. I have been and will be even when going through person tragedies. But there is nothing wrong with loving and supporting the program and the boys playing and yet still being able to be critical of what one sees as repeated failures. I do not doubt these boys are trying to be the best they can be. What i see is not the failures of our boys but the program failing the boys. These kids just deserve better and I do not think it is their fault. Just one old man's opinion (and that is all it is, an opinion) who has been following this team for a very long time. Those with other opinions are welcome to post them and they are all just as valid, but don't even attempt to try to tell me how I should feel.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

great post Doc. This year's team feels different, and I can empathize with seeing the program dwindle to irrelevance since it's pinnacle 30 some years ago. This year's team feels different than the past few years and am wanting to give them and Appert a wide berth - they play for each other and give max effort. I hope I'm not fooled. LGR!
      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Very reasoned, and well said.
        however, I am still optimistic for this year, and even more so for next year. I know, I sound like a Mets' fan from the 80's and 90's. There has been some offensive talent pass through the RPI program in the past decade. Players such as Helfirch, Polacek, Higgs, Bailen, Pirri and Haggerty and Neal have finished in the top 20 in points and/or goals in the ECAC but that has resulted in only one NCAA trip and no appearances in the ECAC final four, and that is frustrating. This year's team has been hit with some significant injuries to major offensive contributors. Tironese was lost after just six games and was the leading scorer (1-6-7) at the time. Bubela, Melanson and Bourbonnais have all missed 4 or more games and Reno has missed the last 10 games and may not return until the playoffs. Also, don't forget that freshman forward Brady Wiffen was supposed to be a significant contributor this year and has not played at all. It is indeed frustrating to see this team consistently out shot by sometimes huge margins and to watch them lose draw after draw, but the loss of so many games to injury by some of the most skilled players certainly has contributed greatly to those stats. If Melanson and Reno come back before the playoffs, and there are no more significant injuries, this team can rebound and make it to Placid. LGR!

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
          Very reasoned, and well said.
          however, I am still optimistic for this year, and even more so for next year. I know, I sound like a Mets' fan from the 80's and 90's. There has been some offensive talent pass through the RPI program in the past decade. Players such as Helfirch, Polacek, Higgs, Bailen, Pirri and Haggerty and Neal have finished in the top 20 in points and/or goals in the ECAC but that has resulted in only one NCAA trip and no appearances in the ECAC final four, and that is frustrating. This year's team has been hit with some significant injuries to major offensive contributors. Tironese was lost after just six games and was the leading scorer (1-6-7) at the time. Bubela, Melanson and Bourbonnais have all missed 4 or more games and Reno has missed the last 10 games and may not return until the playoffs. Also, don't forget that freshman forward Brady Wiffen was supposed to be a significant contributor this year and has not played at all. It is indeed frustrating to see this team consistently out shot by sometimes huge margins and to watch them lose draw after draw, but the loss of so many games to injury by some of the most skilled players certainly has contributed greatly to those stats. If Melanson and Reno come back before the playoffs, and there are no more significant injuries, this team can rebound and make it to Placid. LGR!
          I wonder how optimistic we should be about next year without Kasdorf. Hackett did perform well when Kasdorf was injured, but he is still a question mark, and Chase Perry is even more of a question mark. I do think the forwards and defensemen look better on paper.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I wonder how optimistic we should be about next year without Kasdorf. Hackett did perform well when Kasdorf was injured, but he is still a question mark, and Chase Perry is even more of a question mark. I do think the forwards and defensemen look better on paper.

Save it for next season, no use getting into that now.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Cam is being fitted with a kevlar vest now.
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Not giving up on this year but it looks like some offensive help is on the way. Burgess, Tironese, Wiffen ( anybody see him in practice) Hayhurst etal look to more than replace what we are losing. I think we still need a stud defenseman ala SLUs Bayeuther. Easier to go into the third period with a 4-0 lead rather than a 1-0.

Comment

From the Dartmouth thread...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  And you have to look at the reality of the situation. Nothing has changed since the beginning of the Appert era when it comes to our third period. Don't be so blinded by your cherry-coloured glasses that you can't see the truth.
                  The biggest reality I see is you are a) a neophyte when it comes to college hockey, especially comparing this season the previous years. get off the computer and go to the games - you'd see that RPI fought back in the first half of the 3rd period v Harvard before they shortened the defensive bench. b). I have yet to see any insightful commentary that doesn't snipe at the skill level, schemes, and what it takes to succeed in a game you clearly have never participated in.

Lastly, I am no Appert apologist, and am first to call out the fact during his era, RPI is the only team to not make the ecac frozen four. However, this team has played differently this year, and the outcome has been different to date. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your childish narrative, which is embarrassing to fellow alumni, not constructive, and driven several insightful people from this board. I'm willing to look at the upside this year, and look at the data objectively until the end of the season, and not join you in being an immature Chicken Little of the program.
                  Class of '93

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                    From the Dartmouth thread...

The biggest reality I see is you are a) a neophyte when it comes to college hockey, especially comparing this season the previous years. get off the computer and go to the games - you'd see that RPI fought back in the first half of the 3rd period v Harvard before they shortened the defensive bench. b). I have yet to see any insightful commentary that doesn't snipe at the skill level, schemes, and what it takes to succeed in a game you clearly have never participated in.

Lastly, I am no Appert apologist, and am first to call out the fact during his era, RPI is the only team to not make the ecac frozen four. However, this team has played differently this year, and the outcome has been different to date. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your childish narrative, which is embarrassing to fellow alumni, not constructive, and driven several insightful people from this board. I'm willing to look at the upside this year, and look at the data objectively until the end of the season, and not join you in being an immature Chicken Little of the program.
                    I have seen plenty enough games this year to see us go into a defensive shell in the third period. I have borne witness to us losing five games this year after having leads going into the third period. During that time, we have hardly ever pushed back in the third. I also saw this happen plenty of times in the 07-08 season. In fact, the only season in the Appert era where I ever saw us actually continue to push back in the third was 10-11. Attack me all you want to give yourself whatever moral boost you desire (if you can considering braking me as a boost), use certain extraordinary instances to push as dogma, but the overall statistics remain as they are, they are as clear as day, and they do not lie.

Comment

That's I need to read, thank you. The team did fight back in the 3rd at Harvard, until the (correct) call was made to shorten the defensive bench. Regardless, show me a team that doesn't go into a shell during the season. Please. With data.

I see a different effort level and cohesiveness this year. Simple as that. We'll see at the end of season where it all ends up.
                      Class of '93

Comment

Speaking of ugly...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/pa...-ankle-injury/
                        Class of '93

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
                          Not giving up on this year but it looks like some offensive help is on the way. Burgess, Tironese, Wiffen ( anybody see him in practice) Hayhurst etal look to more than replace what we are losing. I think we still need a stud defenseman ala SLUs Bayeuther. Easier to go into the third period with a 4-0 lead rather than a 1-0.
                          It might be easier, but still no guarantee. I seem to recall a certain team putting a six-spot on us in one period twice, and funny enough, that's one of the few teams that we've really taken it to in the third period; only other one I recall was up in Canton (taking it to them in the third, not the six-spot). I'd rather see us, especially on a Saturday, leave it all out there on the ice, "empty the tank" (as I recall hearing another coach say once when it came to the late game), and put forth a solid effort, whether we win, lose, or tie. If anything, it'll build the conditioning we're going to need during the post-season.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

End of season prediction.

Decent last four games. Not stellar, not terrible.
                              5th seed.
                              Brown finishes 12th.
                              Bears in 3.
                              FlagDUDE pees his pants.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                End of season prediction.

Decent last four games. Not stellar, not terrible.
                                5th seed.
                                Brown finishes 12th.
                                Bears in 3.
                                FlagDUDE pees his pants.
                                Can it be a "tie for fourth but lose the tiebreaker" situation? I want to increase the similarity to 2010-11.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X