Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Just one more point I would like to make. We have no puck support. When we win 50/50 puck battles, we either try a long pass or put into open ice. When our opponents win those battles, there is always a teammate close by to control the puck.
    I have just noticed this in the last couple of weekends, but it is glaring when you look for it.
    Again, a system failure.
    One more key point on that system failure - playing not to lose - this is a paragraph from Weaver's article referenced by Ralph in post #283:

"Rensselaer coach Seth Appert said several times, and a couple players have echoed him, that there are time(s) the Engineers sit back with a lead and let teams come at them, assuming/expecting that Kasdorf will make all of the big saves necessary."

It may not be the strategy that SA wants but lack of a system is a system.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        (bunch of Twitter)
        No shocker, once again Queen SAJ trying to screw around, just like when the dorm situation was screwed with just after I left the 'Tute.

Comment

Just one more point I would like to make. We have no puck support. When we win 50/50 puck battles, we either try a long pass or put into open ice. When our opponents win those battles, there is always a teammate close by to control the puck.
          I have just noticed this in the last couple of weekends, but it is glaring when you look for it.
          Again, a system failure.
          EHF: What you are pointing out in each and every post is exactly right. As has been mentioned, mostly by me for years, our failures are not talent. We have as much or as little as any team in the nation regardless of the number of draft choices (except perhaps for the top 5 each year). What we do not do well are the fundamentals of hockey. These are the same things that need be done at every level but when you cannot do them, or do not do them well, they just get exploited more and become more obvious at each level up. Faceoffs, clearing the defensive zone on the first try, support of the puck, the puck carrier not being the last man heading up the ice (always need someone behind him), how to defend a lead late in the game, how to keep the puck in the offensive zone at the points, etc etc etc. When we seem to do even most of these things well, we have a great night. I honestly believe with our team at full health, we can and could beat anyone when we even do most of the above. Most of us have never coached hockey at any level and many of us may have never even played the game. We see what is not happening and what is wrong but I haven't a clue as how it gets fixed.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

......or, in our case, the League Finals......
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

When it comes to the whole "full 60" argument, I'll agree that you could make that complaint about pretty much any team in any league on any night, but RPI does seem to have trouble with third periods. We're a +17 in the first two periods of the night, but -17 in the final 20 (if we exclude last weekend, that shifts to +15/-10). It looks even worse if you look at shot differential. We're in the negative in all three periods, but it gets worse and worse as the game wears on. I'm sure some of the deficit could be explained by score effects, as we've led 18 games going into the final frame (12-4-2 in that situation).

As an aside, despite apparently going into a defensive shell, RPI maintains pretty even shot totals across the three periods (284-287-278). The deficit arises almost entirely from giving up more and more shots.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Selander stops 42 of 43 & Kazzy stops 49 of 50, both vs Harvard tonight. That’s some kind of goaltending!
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    Selander stops 42 of 43 & Kazzy stops 49 of 50, both vs Harvard tonight. That’s some kind of goaltending!
                    Both teams are certainly living and dying by their goaltending.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                      When it comes to the whole "full 60" argument, I'll agree that you could make that complaint about pretty much any team in any league on any night, but RPI does seem to have trouble with third periods. We're a +17 in the first two periods of the night, but -17 in the final 20 (if we exclude last weekend, that shifts to +15/-10). It looks even worse if you look at shot differential. We're in the negative in all three periods, but it gets worse and worse as the game wears on. I'm sure some of the deficit could be explained by score effects, as we've led 18 games going into the final frame (12-4-2 in that situation).

As an aside, despite apparently going into a defensive shell, RPI maintains pretty even shot totals across the three periods (284-287-278). The deficit arises almost entirely from giving up more and more shots.
                      In two ECAC games against Harvard, we have given up 91 shots on goal. Kazzy stopped 90 of those shots and we walked away with 3 out of 4 points. No goals against in the third period.
                      Go figure.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Both teams are certainly living and dying by their goaltending.
                        A definite case of "have to". you can only imagine the scores if they did not stand on their heads yesterday.

Comment

In two ECAC games against Harvard, we have given up 91 shots on goal. Kazzy stopped 90 of those shots and we walked away with 3 out of 4 points. No goals against in the third period.
                          Go figure.
                          I've said it a couple times on this thread. There are fellows who had better records and statistics at RPI and fellows who won tournaments, but I have not seen a better goal tender at RPI in the 50+ years i have followed the program. He has things to work on, as anyone at this level does, but barring something unforeseen, he is going to make a very good NHL level goalie. The sad part for me, is that i can see absolutely no way that he should stay another year in Troy.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            I've said it a couple times on this thread. There are fellows who had better records and statistics at RPI and fellows who won tournaments, but I have not seen a better goal tender at RPI in the 50+ years i have followed the program. He has things to work on, as anyone at this level does, but barring something unforeseen, he is going to make a very good NHL level goalie. The sad part for me, is that i can see absolutely no way that he should stay another year in Troy.
                            I think that the recruiting of Chase Perry as a second scholarship goalie indicates that SA knows that also, even though Kasdorf has left the possibility open in recent interviews.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              ......or, in our case, the League Finals......
                              I see that Oiler fans are formed early in life... You remember how "Oil Can" Boyd earned that nickname, right?

Comment

Someone pointed out to me that 3, maybe 4 other ECAC goalies maintain gaudy sub-2.00 goals against averages, but in a big game, we're going with Kazzie.
                                I hope he's not too gassed from last night's game...

Comment

Working...
                                X