PDA

View Full Version : RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Pappy89
02-20-2016, 10:54 PM
DeepRed72 - i do not have an issue with anyone wanting us to have more success, or being disappointed with where we stand (middle of ECAC, outside of top 16 PWR). Many on this thread have brought up great points, and most are valid. You presented facts and well-founded criticism. There is nothing wrong with that. For the record, I do not have any issues with your comments earlier, and I find you to be a supporter of RPI Hockey.

I do not feel that one needs to drink the Kool-Aid to be a supporter. We are allowed and expected to be critical. Blind support is a bad thing, and we need to keep our eyes and minds open to fully analyze the team this year and moving forward.

The are comments that provide negative information, but then there are negative comments. "Congrats on the easy 2 points this coming weekend", "Time for pass, pass, turnover", "they (our opponents) will score 3 in the third period". Supporters watch and listen to the games in hopes that they will win.

The message is known. Our system sucks, especially in the third period. Something needs to change. But it just is not good to hear how we are going to blow it right after we get a lead. This is not a winning attitude as a player, and not as a supporter either. Again, I have no issues in pointing out what is broken, but can we temper the negativity, at least on game days?

There are many in here that don't like it when the messenger brings the bad news to the King. I tried to provide some realistic estimates of chances for this team and am I criticized as being negative and not a team supporter? I have been following Rensselaer hockey since my Freshman year, 1968, so don't tell me that I am not a die-hard supporter. Politicians who don't like polling numbers also brush them off but accept them readily when they show them leading. It happens in all pursuits. Hey these are only numbers and instead of criticizing those who try to enlighten, you critics should address your attention to the reasons for those mediocre results at best so that improvements can be made. I would just like to close by pointing out to some that the title of the thread is "We want more banners . . ." That doesn't mean incremental improvement - perhaps those who are satisfied with just that are on the wrong thread.

turk181
02-20-2016, 11:10 PM
turk, should have brought your headphones tonight, Seth and I went over this in my pregame interview. :)I never count on Seth or any HC to give out too much info regarding injured players. I prefer going to the source ;)

Havasu M
02-21-2016, 01:11 AM
sixteen wins so far this year two in ot so apparently we were able to hold onto third period leads in 14 games. Not all of them were 1 goal leads but nine were. Other teams were not able to hold third period leads against RPI including SLU which was a RPI ot win 2 brown games one win one tie and princeton a tie. These third period comebacks were missing in the last few years. Once we were down we usually did not come back giving up many empty net goals. We were written off as a 10th place team when the season started and now we get home ice. A lot of wins against ranked teams. At the time we played them Union SLU Cornell Yale Harvard BC were all wins against ranked teams. Perfect nope. Improvement yep Go red

Ralph Baer
02-21-2016, 01:28 AM
SA's postgame interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOx79VZQR2g.

FlagDUDE08
02-21-2016, 04:49 AM
DeepRed72 - i do not have an issue with anyone wanting us to have more success, or being disappointed with where we stand (middle of ECAC, outside of top 16 PWR). Many on this thread have brought up great points, and most are valid. You presented facts and well-founded criticism. There is nothing wrong with that. For the record, I do not have any issues with your comments earlier, and I find you to be a supporter of RPI Hockey.

I do not feel that one needs to drink the Kool-Aid to be a supporter. We are allowed and expected to be critical. Blind support is a bad thing, and we need to keep our eyes and minds open to fully analyze the team this year and moving forward.

The are comments that provide negative information, but then there are negative comments. "Congrats on the easy 2 points this coming weekend", "Time for pass, pass, turnover", "they (our opponents) will score 3 in the third period". Supporters watch and listen to the games in hopes that they will win.

The message is known. Our system sucks, especially in the third period. Something needs to change. But it just is not good to hear how we are going to blow it right after we get a lead. This is not a winning attitude as a player, and not as a supporter either. Again, I have no issues in pointing out what is broken, but can we temper the negativity, at least on game days?

I assume you're not a Bills fan, otherwise you would understand awaiting impending doom. It's called reality. When the power play has been absolutely dreadful since this coach has been in place, you dread it. If you're not willing to give equal time to those thinking we should decline penalties, then you have an unhealthy hell-bent obsession over me, and given how some people act on here, that's not all that surprising. The definition of insanity is repeating a fairly conclusive experiment expecting different results. Every year is a new year, I'll give you at least that much. However, when things are going down, you know they're going down, and you don't have any control over it (last I checked, you're not presently on the team), you have a couple of choices: You can either wallow in disappointment, or you can be tongue-in-cheek about it.

The funny thing about pessimism is that you're never disappointed. If something goes right, it's a pleasant surprise. If something goes wrong, you've expected it, and can easily move forward.

engineerhockeyfan
02-21-2016, 06:25 AM
IMO this years club is one of the most likable RPI squad in many years.They don`t fold easy and I never got the feeling I wanted them to win more than they wanted to win.

I totally agree with that statement. Considering the injuries, I think they outplayed their talent level. If we can go into the playoffs healthy, we will surprise a lot of people.

Ralph Baer
02-21-2016, 06:28 AM
I totally agree with that statement. Considering the injuries, I think they outplayed their talent level. If we can go into the playoffs healthy, we will surprise a lot of people.

According to SA Melanson won't be back until at least Lake Placid.

RPI fan 4 life
02-21-2016, 07:40 AM

Hopefully he will get a chance to play again this season :)

However, this gave another chance for Alex "chi chi" Rodriguez to step back into the lineup. After watching both games in person this past weekend, I would like to throw out a special kudos to the fourth line of Travis Fulton, Kenny G and Rodriguez for their excellent play. They hustled, forechecked, and had several scoring opportunities. SA had them playing a regular shift both nights instead of shortening the bench, which normally happens in the third period which could be the cause of our third period problems.

DrDemento
02-21-2016, 09:22 AM
I did. All the more reason to hopefully sneak into 4th place and get an extra week off.
I too would love that week off. Many of the guys need a little off time to heal. But one week is not going to get DM back on the ice at full speed. You really get to understand all the things he does that are not necessarily on the stat sheets. Buying that extra few seconds as he keeps the forecheck going, keeping a team ready to back up to respect his quickness and speed heading down the wing. The team has a different look when he and Nanne are both going full speed and the opponent has to guard against their defense getting caught up ice. it can be subtle, but no less effective. Reno will be a huge asset for the playoffs but getting both back would make this team as dangerous to play as they were for the first half of the ECAC season.

DrDemento
02-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info RB. I did not know the expected time table but knew it would certainly not be for next week or a first round series. Heal well DM, possibly for this year but also for the next two years which may be a lot of fun for all of us here. This team has talent in those lower classes and some more in the pipeline. (and sitting out this year)

Ralph Baer
02-21-2016, 10:38 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Highlights from the QU game: <a href="https://t.co/Ra2in4CdQy">https://t.co/Ra2in4CdQy</a> and the Princeton game: <a href="https://t.co/BQYA05nRa4">https://t.co/BQYA05nRa4</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RPIHockey?src=hash">#RPIHockey</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ECACHockey?src=hash">#ECACHockey</a></p>&mdash; RPI TV (@rpitv) <a href="https://twitter.com/rpitv/status/701430037468344320">February 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ralph Baer
02-21-2016, 10:51 AM
I missed this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Notable last night: Was pretty cool to see the seniors embracing Craig Bokenfohr after the ceremony.</p>&mdash; Without a Peer (@without_a_peer) <a href="https://twitter.com/without_a_peer/status/701436629941141504">February 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FlagDUDE08
02-21-2016, 11:36 AM
I missed this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Notable last night: Was pretty cool to see the seniors embracing Craig Bokenfohr after the ceremony.</p>— Without a Peer (@without_a_peer) <a href="https://twitter.com/without_a_peer/status/701436629941141504">February 21, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I assume he was the one in the suit at the bench when some of them were skating over.

turk181
02-21-2016, 11:49 AM
I assume he was the one in the suit at the bench when some of them were skating over.He wasn’t in a suit. He was standing in the opposing bench. It was cool to see.

rvd5star69
02-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Hopefully Drew is healthy for October

jstadts
02-21-2016, 08:53 PM
On a light note. I brought a date to the game last night.She hadn`t been to a college hockey game since HS. Half way though RPI`s first power play she says they pass to MUCH!!!!

FlagDUDE08
02-22-2016, 06:06 AM
On a light note. I brought a date to the game last night.She hadn`t been to a college hockey game since HS. Half way though RPI`s first power play she says they pass to MUCH!!!!

Tell us something we don't know. Not to mention, if you watch the "power play" enough, you know who's going to take the shot. This is why it doesn't work in ECAC play.

Ralph Baer
02-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Hopefully Drew is healthy for October

Is it that bad, that October is in question?

rvd5star69
02-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Hackett should make all rookie team kasdorf first or 2nd team Riley same anyone else ?

Ralph Baer
02-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Hackett should make all rookie team kasdorf first or 2nd team Riley same anyone else ?

I think that Hackett played in only 3 league games. I don't think that that he will make the All-Rookie team. I agree that Kasdorf and Bourbonnais should make it, but there are a lot of good goalies.