PDA

View Full Version : RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016 (Part II): We want more banners, not more flags

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

turk181
02-15-2016, 11:58 AM
I wonder how optimistic we should be about next year without Kasdorf. Hackett did perform well when Kasdorf was injured, but he is still a question mark, and Chase Perry is even more of a question mark. I do think the forwards and defensemen look better on paper.Cam is being fitted with a kevlar vest now.

Havasu M
02-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Not giving up on this year but it looks like some offensive help is on the way. Burgess, Tironese, Wiffen ( anybody see him in practice) Hayhurst etal look to more than replace what we are losing. I think we still need a stud defenseman ala SLUs Bayeuther. Easier to go into the third period with a 4-0 lead rather than a 1-0.

ServinisScores
02-15-2016, 01:49 PM
From the Dartmouth thread...

And you have to look at the reality of the situation. Nothing has changed since the beginning of the Appert era when it comes to our third period. Don't be so blinded by your cherry-coloured glasses that you can't see the truth.

The biggest reality I see is you are a) a neophyte when it comes to college hockey, especially comparing this season the previous years. get off the computer and go to the games - you'd see that RPI fought back in the first half of the 3rd period v Harvard before they shortened the defensive bench. b). I have yet to see any insightful commentary that doesn't snipe at the skill level, schemes, and what it takes to succeed in a game you clearly have never participated in.

Lastly, I am no Appert apologist, and am first to call out the fact during his era, RPI is the only team to not make the ecac frozen four. However, this team has played differently this year, and the outcome has been different to date. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your childish narrative, which is embarrassing to fellow alumni, not constructive, and driven several insightful people from this board. I'm willing to look at the upside this year, and look at the data objectively until the end of the season, and not join you in being an immature Chicken Little of the program.

FlagDUDE08
02-15-2016, 03:17 PM
From the Dartmouth thread...

The biggest reality I see is you are a) a neophyte when it comes to college hockey, especially comparing this season the previous years. get off the computer and go to the games - you'd see that RPI fought back in the first half of the 3rd period v Harvard before they shortened the defensive bench. b). I have yet to see any insightful commentary that doesn't snipe at the skill level, schemes, and what it takes to succeed in a game you clearly have never participated in.

Lastly, I am no Appert apologist, and am first to call out the fact during his era, RPI is the only team to not make the ecac frozen four. However, this team has played differently this year, and the outcome has been different to date. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your childish narrative, which is embarrassing to fellow alumni, not constructive, and driven several insightful people from this board. I'm willing to look at the upside this year, and look at the data objectively until the end of the season, and not join you in being an immature Chicken Little of the program.

I have seen plenty enough games this year to see us go into a defensive shell in the third period. I have borne witness to us losing five games this year after having leads going into the third period. During that time, we have hardly ever pushed back in the third. I also saw this happen plenty of times in the 07-08 season. In fact, the only season in the Appert era where I ever saw us actually continue to push back in the third was 10-11. Attack me all you want to give yourself whatever moral boost you desire (if you can considering braking me as a boost), use certain extraordinary instances to push as dogma, but the overall statistics remain as they are, they are as clear as day, and they do not lie.

ServinisScores
02-15-2016, 03:48 PM
That's I need to read, thank you. The team did fight back in the 3rd at Harvard, until the (correct) call was made to shorten the defensive bench. Regardless, show me a team that doesn't go into a shell during the season. Please. With data.

I see a different effort level and cohesiveness this year. Simple as that. We'll see at the end of season where it all ends up.

ServinisScores
02-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Speaking of ugly...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/panthers-lose-pirri-for-a-few-weeks-after-gruesome-ankle-injury/

FlagDUDE08
02-16-2016, 10:15 AM
Not giving up on this year but it looks like some offensive help is on the way. Burgess, Tironese, Wiffen ( anybody see him in practice) Hayhurst etal look to more than replace what we are losing. I think we still need a stud defenseman ala SLUs Bayeuther. Easier to go into the third period with a 4-0 lead rather than a 1-0.

It might be easier, but still no guarantee. I seem to recall a certain team putting a six-spot on us in one period twice, and funny enough, that's one of the few teams that we've really taken it to in the third period; only other one I recall was up in Canton (taking it to them in the third, not the six-spot). I'd rather see us, especially on a Saturday, leave it all out there on the ice, "empty the tank" (as I recall hearing another coach say once when it came to the late game), and put forth a solid effort, whether we win, lose, or tie. If anything, it'll build the conditioning we're going to need during the post-season.

Ralph Baer
02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Back at it. <a href="https://t.co/Xy3zeEicBB">pic.twitter.com/Xy3zeEicBB</a></p>&mdash; RPI Men&#39;s Hockey (@RPI_Hockey) <a href="https://twitter.com/RPI_Hockey/status/699652244078206976">February 16, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Cloud
02-16-2016, 02:46 PM
End of season prediction.

Decent last four games. Not stellar, not terrible.
5th seed.
Brown finishes 12th.
Bears in 3.
FlagDUDE pees his pants.

lugnut92
02-16-2016, 03:28 PM

5th seed.
Brown finishes 12th.
Bears in 3.
FlagDUDE pees his pants.

Can it be a "tie for fourth but lose the tiebreaker" situation? I want to increase the similarity to 2010-11.

DeepRed72
02-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Can it be a "tie for fourth but lose the tiebreaker" situation? I want to increase the similarity to 2010-11.

If we finish tied for fourth in the ECAC, lose the tie-breaker, and then lose in three games in the first round our chances of backing into the NCAAs, as we did in 2010-2011, are infinitesimal.

lugnut92
02-16-2016, 04:09 PM
I mean, to really match 2011, we'd have to lose to Colgate, not Brown.

DeepRed72
02-16-2016, 04:17 PM
I mean, to really match 2011, we'd have to lose to Colgate, not Brown.

Understood. But whoever we played, losing in the first round is where the comparison would end unfortunately.

Red Cloud
02-16-2016, 09:09 PM
If we finish tied for fourth in the ECAC, lose the tie-breaker, and then lose in three games in the first round our chances of backing into the NCAAs, as we did in 2010-2011, are infinitesimal.

Non compos mentis award.

johnk
02-17-2016, 09:01 AM

5th seed.
Brown finishes 12th.
Bears in 3.
FlagDUDE pees his pants.

#1 - Expect 4 or 5 points.
#2 - Agree
#3 - Princeton
#4 - Somebody in 3
#5 - Guaranteed

DeepRed72
02-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Non compos mentis award.

It is called Mathematics

Red Cloud
02-17-2016, 10:16 AM
It is called Mathematics

It's called you read a website after moving the bar.

FlagDUDE08
02-17-2016, 02:03 PM
#5 - Guaranteed

You get to do my laundry that week, then. ;)

Ralph Baer
02-17-2016, 02:15 PM
The natives are getting restless. :D

lugnut92
02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
The natives are getting restless. :D

There are far too many days between games. We all know what needs to happen. It's painful having to wait to see if the team can actually get it done (and watching the scoreboard to see if we get the requisite help elsewhere).