Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    I'll take them.

We're not Kentucky basketball. I don't want any one-and-done's. That's not how you build a t-e-a-m as in team.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
      We're not Kentucky basketball. I don't want any one-and-done's. That's not how you build a t-e-a-m as in team.
      Lot of good having a tight knit group is when they don't have any talent and can't score goals.

I don't think Maine is turning down one and done guys. But late round picks that don't score much in juniors aren't saviors. They can all group up and create a steady team that finishes in the middle of the pack when they are upperclassmen. That's fine. But you guys are the ones who want to be in the NCAAs 60-70% of the time. That takes very high end talent. This ain't it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
        Coach K was smart enough to understand today's climate. I'll go with coach K and take any one and done guys who will come to Maine.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Coach K was smart enough to understand today's climate. I'll go with coach K and take any one and done guys who will come to Maine.
          In basketball you get 13 scholarships and only seven or eight guys play versus hockey with 18 scholarships and 20-23 guys playing depending on injuries. Kentucky is already out of this year's tourney and Duke will probably follow them tonight. I would be happy with the right one and done guy every few years but there aren't enough good ones coming through to use it all the time. Just look at Wisconsin.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            In basketball you get 13 scholarships and only seven or eight guys play versus hockey with 18 scholarships and 20-23 guys playing depending on injuries. Kentucky is already out of this year's tourney and Duke will probably follow them tonight. I would be happy with the right one and done guy every few years but there aren't enough good ones coming through to use it all the time. Just look at Wisconsin.
            Yeah, duke and Kentucky suck, neither one will win a NC this year. Follow D1 men's bball before this year?

I don't think anyone wants 18 one and dones

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Yeah, duke and Kentucky suck, neither one will win a NC this year. Follow D1 men's bball before this year?

I don't think anyone wants 18 one and dones
              I do, and both programs were much better before they started the one and done thing.

Its hard to figure out exactly what some posters do want.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Theres truth in all of this. My 2 cents worth.
                10 years ago the boat was sailing along merrily with a good onshore breeze in cobscook bay on a blue bird day at high tide. Next thing you know after a few toddies its low tide and the keel is stuck deep in the muck. The coaching staff is now piloting it out to deep water again while dragging the keel for a long while.
                It takes a roster full of decent talent kids who can grind out a season and play like a team. Do the recruits and many returning kids not seem to fit this profile? I’m somewhat optimistic.
                Since it hit bottom, getting one and dones just ain’t in the cards right now anyway. The team isn't going to build immediate success with that sort of strategy right now.
                Continue building the decent roster, instill the program system, get some goal tending and when and if we can get a high recruit one and doner - hope they fit in as a team player and work well with all, the chance is this could launch a decent season and what is needed for program.

Comment

Just reading in the BDN that the 6-8 goalie is coming next year.....so Maine plans to have FIVE goalies on the roster?? How in the blue hell is that supposed to work?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Just reading in the BDN that the 6-8 goalie is coming next year.....so Maine plans to have FIVE goalies on the roster?? How in the blue hell is that supposed to work?

Given that he's a '95 and the league he was recruited from, my guess is he is a depth guy, and that the only playing time he'll see is in exhibition games.

Comment

If you have 3 goalies you then have NO goalies. If you have 4 goalies, but the 4th has to sit a year then you still have 3 which = NO goalies. Thus if you have 5 goalies, minus one who sits out a year then what you are doing is praying you have a goalie!!

He's a recruited walk-on who started playing goalie in hockey later in his maturation process. What you are really trying to do is catch lightning in a bottle with him! Hell since 3 = 0, maybe 4 can = 1!???

Comment

Play all five at once, and go undefeated!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Romeo didn't play, so you only had 2. They like 4 goalies in practice they set up 4 nets so guys can shoot on live goalies

Comment

Three potentially four kids coming in who were drafted isn't progress?
                            We had two who were drafted on this season's team, one who didn't do squat, and the other with just marginal numbers. So no, until they produce on the ice, it isn't progress.
                            Last edited by rufus; 03-24-2016, 08:11 PM.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I do, and both programs were much better before they started the one and done thing.

Its hard to figure out exactly what some posters do want.
                              How 'bout 2 or 3 guys who can put the puck in the net? Another 5-10 who can put their shot on net.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

OK. i didnt get from the articles that the tall kid was a Jean type backup. Still....they got too many. Feels like a cluster.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X