Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm actually with all bear.

No, Red hasn't shown me anything to suggest he is a good coach. But, I don't know what a good coach could accomplish here either. We don't spend any money on hockey as compared to the better teams in this league. Heck we spend less than UNH and UConn and they suck too.

If someone had decided ten years ago to kill UMaine hockey, but to do it slowly so that it would be done quietly, they couldn't have done a better job than what happened.

It takes a miracle worker to win in any sport in Orono and Red isn't that. Barron is apparently but he's the only one up there right now. My prediction for next year is 10-12 wins and program records for low attendance.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

I was on the fence about renewing my season tickets last summer, and I did it. I just have no interest in going up to Orono Friday and Saturday to see some crappy hockey. I might buy some tickets to one or two games next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        I was on the fence about renewing my season tickets last summer, and I did it. I just have no interest in going up to Orono Friday and Saturday to see some crappy hockey. I might buy some tickets to one or two games next season.
        I would think pricing next year will be radically different. If they don't change the prices the place is only going to be 30 to 40% full for most games. I've said this before but if they offered season tickets for around $200 each I think you would see a lot more people from the Boston and Portland areas buy them.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I would think pricing next year will be radically different. If they don't change the prices the place is only going to be 30 to 40% full for most games. I've said this before but if they offered season tickets for around $200 each I think you would see a lot more people from the Boston and Portland areas buy them.
          I'll bet prices don't drop at all
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I'll bet prices don't drop at all
            I think you'll see single game ticket prices round the same, but season tickets discounted much more than they ever have been.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Mookie would require a LOT more than $200 to come up from Boston
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Mookie would require a LOT more than $200 to come up from Boston
                Jasmine is NOT moving to Orono.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I think you'll see single game ticket prices round the same, but season tickets discounted much more than they ever have been.
                  If history is any guide, the season tickets will cost you more per game than single game. Maine must have gutted the economics/business schools at some point.

Comment

I gave up on the season ticket concept during the later Whitehead declining years. Now I buy tickets online, choose my seat, and go to the games I can make. Its been absolutely no problem getting seats to any game. I don't like the live TV broadcast games as their too slow, so often I stay home and watch these on the tube.
                    It seems some of the broadcast games have lower attendance, maybe they should rethink this strategy - I suppose they get more money from TV than the seats they lose.

I can't help but think, right now the only thing the program has going for it is to try and get a decent crowd at the alfond each game, somehow. Seeing as other factors for program improvement are limited. The AD needs some new/good marketing strategy since the team record won't be doing it.
                    I would think good consistent crowds at the Alfond certainly helps in some small way for recruiting.
                    Watching the NU games last weekend there was no one at the games, don't know if this is normal, but as a player it would certainly be more motivating to score and slam the glass with fans behind it than empty seats. Good fan base also provides a level of expectations for the players.

Comment

It always looks empty on tv because no one sits behind the benches. My family had season tickets there for years, we would wait until the first TV timeout of the first period and move up to a better vantage point. If you are in the first 4-5 rows behind the benches you can't see through the coaches or the stanchions between the benches. I don't know what the solution is, but in an arena with a lot of obstructed views those are up there with the worst of it.

I remember 10-15 years ago UMass used to always hang a jersey behind their bench in memory of someone or something. Some geezer knocked on the glass on the second night of a Friday/Saturday and asked them to move it as he was sitting right behind it and couldn't see. The UMass coaches called security and had him ejected. The guy's wife grabbed the jersey on her way out and threw it in the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        It takes a miracle worker to win in any sport in Orono and Red isn't that. Barron is apparently but he's the only one up there right now. My prediction for next year is 10-12 wins and program records for low attendance.
                        But................................3 NHL DRAFT PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Sure the day after hell freezes over season tickets will be reduced. It's cheaper to buy single game tickets while season tickets have been slightly higher. Remember when there were 1200 people waiting on a list for season tickets? Hell may freeze over before that happens again too. By the way wasn't it into the summer of last year before season ticket holders were reimbursed for their playoff seats?

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                            Sure the day after hell freezes over season tickets will be reduced. It's cheaper to buy single game tickets while season tickets have been slightly higher. Remember when there were 1200 people waiting on a list for season tickets? Hell may freeze over before that happens again too. By the way wasn't it into the summer of last year before season ticket holders were reimbursed for their playoff seats?
                            Yup, couldn't believe how long it took to get my money back. Season tickets will not go down
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Yup, couldn't believe how long it took to get my money back. Season tickets will not go down
                              Give me the Liverpool treatment
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                It seems some of the broadcast games have lower attendance, maybe they should rethink this strategy - I suppose they get more money from TV than the seats they lose.
                                IMO the exposure is more valuable than the revenue in either case, at least in terms of recruiting. As ghastly as this program has become, it's still on TV a ton, even here in New York. Prospective recruits have to consider this a plus.

(Not that I can fathom why, say, a CBSCS would want to show a team like Maine... They must still be drinking the vintage Kool-Aid.)

Comment

Working...
                                X