St. Anselm to D3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Anselm to D3

Still a year and a half away but....Good school, already strong program, D1 facility, very good coaching. Could make an immediate impact on the D3 landscape......

Re: St. Anselm to D3

Saint Anselm won't be eligible for D-III playoffs until 2019-20 IIRC. But yes they should do well right away and compete for NEHC title. It's a good move for them.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Saint Anselm won't be eligible for D-III playoffs until 2019-20 IIRC. But yes they should do well right away and compete for NEHC title. It's a good move for them.
      Holy Cross and Sacred Heart should do the same thing. The D-II programs would also be smart to follow suit. Then they'd all have a real championship title to shoot for.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Holy Cross and Sacred Heart should do the same thing. The D-II programs would also be smart to follow suit. Then they'd all have a real championship title to shoot for.
        Holy Cross and Sacred Heart would have to move their entire athletic programs down to D-III for that to (not going to in a million years) happen.

What Holy Cross, Sacred Heart and the remaining D-II programs should bite the bullet, form their own league, and become cannon fodder for the 1st few years in the Women's National Collegiate Championship.

Eventually a rising tide will lift the boats.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but: where were St Anselm before? And which are the other DII programs?

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
            Pardon my ignorance, but: where were St Anselm before? And which are the other DII programs?
            Saint Anselm has always been Division II since it started the women's hockey program. They have played in the ECAC East (now the New England Hockey Conference NEHC).

The other Division II/Division I programs playing D-III schedules are Franklin Pierce, Saint Michael's, Holy Cross and Sacred Heart. FP, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's and Holy Cross are all in the NEHC. Sacred Heart is indepedent but they have played in the "ECAC Open" tournament at the end of the year with the other four schools.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Holy Cross and Sacred Heart would have to move their entire athletic programs down to D-III for that to (not going to in a million years) happen.

What Holy Cross, Sacred Heart and the remaining D-II programs should bite the bullet, form their own league, and become cannon fodder for the 1st few years in the Women's National Collegiate Championship.

Respectfully disagree. What Holy Cross and Sacred Heart should do is bite the bullet and decide they will be real D1 programs (like they are in EVERY other sport they play) and join the CHA with Syracuse, Penn State, Robert Morris, Lindenwood, Mercyhurst, and RIT. And before you say that's too much travel, Sacred Heart regularly played Lindenwood prior to Lindenwood going D1. They would be on the long road every third weekend or so (assuming 1 league weekend home, 1 non-league weekend in northeast, 1 league weekend away), but they'd really be part of the sport instead of screwing around like they are doing now. Holy Cross harbors hopes of joining Hockey East but it ain't never going to happen - rink is still too small and they have enough members.

This would leave St Mikes and Franklin Pierce in the wind. St Mikes has talked about going D3 and probably should. FP I don't know about but there is no room in women's hockey for D2 teams and won't be anytime soon. In fact, aside from basketball and football, there is less and less need for D2 at all and I have seen discussions about getting rid of D2 altogether.

Comment

Lindenwod is a D-II team. New play ups were prohibitrd by NCAA 2010-100.

Women play for a combined D-I / D-II National Collegiate Championship so a D-II counts the same as a D-I.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    And the boats will sink if they stay tethered to the docks while the waters rise above them.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      Respectfully disagree. What Holy Cross and Sacred Heart should do is bite the bullet and decide they will be real D1 programs (like they are in EVERY other sport they play) and join the CHA with Syracuse, Penn State, Robert Morris, Lindenwood, Mercyhurst, and RIT. And before you say that's too much travel, Sacred Heart regularly played Lindenwood prior to Lindenwood going D1. They would be on the long road every third weekend or so (assuming 1 league weekend home, 1 non-league weekend in northeast, 1 league weekend away), but they'd really be part of the sport instead of screwing around like they are doing now. Holy Cross harbors hopes of joining Hockey East but it ain't never going to happen - rink is still too small and they have enough members.

This would leave St Mikes and Franklin Pierce in the wind. St Mikes has talked about going D3 and probably should. FP I don't know about but there is no room in women's hockey for D2 teams and won't be anytime soon. In fact, aside from basketball and football, there is less and less need for D2 at all and I have seen discussions about getting rid of D2 altogether.

I see your point about going D-1....but just don't really see that as a realistic possibility for most of these schools [save maybe for Holy Cross who has a "real" D1 program across the board in all other sports]. Schools like St. A's simply are never going to be D1. Better off going D3 and having a successful program. As for places like Sacred Heart....they may be better off either committing the $$ to be a real D-1 program, or dropping the sport, because what they're doing now is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                        I see your point about going D-1....but just don't really see that as a realistic possibility for most of these schools [save maybe for Holy Cross who has a "real" D1 program across the board in all other sports]. Schools like St. A's simply are never going to be D1. Better off going D3 and having a successful program. As for places like Sacred Heart....they may be better off either committing the $$ to be a real D-1 program, or dropping the sport, because what they're doing now is laughable.
                        Title IX considerations.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X