Minnesota @ Penn State: 1/8 & 1/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Penn State: 1/8 & 1/9

I will help you with that link. Welcome aboard!

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesp.../?media=507837
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

Sharp dressed lion

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
        Minnesota travels to play Penn State this Friday and Saturday. Friday is at 5:30pm central on the BTN and Saturday is at 2:00pm and is listed as TBD as of now.
        Jeezus...how about playing both games back to back starting at midnight on Friday?
        License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Originally posted by Blackheart View Post
          Jeezus...how about playing both games back to back starting at midnight on Friday?
          4th lines should see plenty of ice time.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

BTN Gopher - Penn State Preview

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              Interesting mention of expansion. Lucia says he'd really like to see the B1G get to 8 in short order. His preference would be to see an existing B1G school add hockey and be successful...otherwise he'd like to see a school added 'in the footprint'. The scuttlebut on ASU is out there...but I'm reading his preference could be a team like UMD. I know Don isn't B1G administration...but I assume they listen to guys like he and Red as to what's in the best interest of the sport.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Interesting mention of expansion. Lucia says he'd really like to see the B1G get to 8 in short order. His preference would be to see an existing B1G school add hockey and be successful...otherwise he'd like to see a school added 'in the footprint'. The scuttlebut on ASU is out there...but I'm reading his preference could be a team like UMD. I know Don isn't B1G administration...but I assume they listen to guys like he and Red as to what's in the best interest of the sport.
                My understanding is two critical criteria are necessary to join the Big Ten: Be a member of the AAU (Association of American Universities) and be in a state that borders a current Big Ten member. The Association of American Universities (AAU) is a prestigious association of 62 leading North American research universities and an elected member school enjoys the consummate institutional recognition and prestige as a research intensive school. Neither UMD or ASU are members of the AAU.

However, an exception could be made. Notre Dame is not in the AAU, but the Big Ten had discussed an exception in their case because of their high academic standing. My educated guess is Illinois, Nebraska and Iowa, Iowa State have club teams similar to what Penn St. had to make the jump to D1 a possibility in 2017-18.

Comment

My understanding is two critical criteria are necessary to join the Big Ten: Be a member of the AAU (Association of American Universities) and be in a state that borders a current Big Ten member. The Association of American Universities (AAU) is a prestigious association of 62 leading North American research universities and an elected member school enjoys the consummate institutional recognition and prestige as a research intensive school. Neither UMD or ASU are members of the AAU.

However, an exception could be made. Notre Dame is not in the AAU, but the Big Ten had discussed an exception in their case because of their high academic standing. My educated guess is Illinois, Nebraska and Iowa, Iowa State have club teams similar to what Penn St. had to make the jump to D1 a possibility in 2017-18.
                  All this is true. But in the video, Lucia is talking about adding B1G hockey rather than across the board B1G expansion.

That's why the comment about expansion potentially meaning an existing B1G school adding hockey. And with the suggestion that if not that, then he hopes to see another school in the existing footprint. Sure Notre Dame would be his #1 as an associate for hockey only and maybe his only thought (based on where he went to school). An associate membership really would have to come from a non AAU member (from here to PSU are there any others?)...and at that point, its not about academics and purely a team that would add ratings and prestige. From a MN point of view and beyond ND, I can only see that meaning a few schools - North Dakota, SCSU or UMD.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    All this is true. But in the video, Lucia is talking about adding B1G hockey rather than across the board B1G expansion.
                    The Big Ten membership criteria strictly applies to any Big Ten sport and the decision to add teams is primarily the responsibility of the Big Ten presidents and chancellors. I only mentioned Notre Dame because of the Big Ten's frequent consideration in adding them for football. ND is already in Hockey East and probably won't be going anywhere. In fact, I highly doubt any teams outside of the Big Ten membership criteria (AAU membership plays a major role) will be allowed to join B1G hockey. I mentioned the most discussed Big Ten members or those who meet the criteria who could be added: Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa and Iowa State (affiliate member?).

Comment

nebraska isnt an AAU member and there in the B1G. if the b1g wants to expand in hockey but cant get B1G schools to go varsity in hockey then i guess they can invite associate member like they did for johns hopkins in lacrosse. id imagine theyd want a big time academic institution on top of being a hockey program. AAU members that have hockey are BU, BC, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, McGill, U of Toronto. Cant imagine they could get the boston schools to leave hockey east if they didnt get full membership to all sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ecemleafs View Post
                        nebraska isnt an AAU member and there in the B1G. if the b1g wants to expand in hockey but cant get B1G schools to go varsity in hockey then i guess they can invite associate member like they did for johns hopkins in lacrosse. id imagine theyd want a big time academic institution on top of being a hockey program. AAU members that have hockey are BU, BC, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, McGill, U of Toronto. Cant imagine they could get the boston schools to leave hockey east if they didnt get full membership to all sports.
                        In the case of Nebraska, they were actually a member of AAU until 2011. They lost their membership for failing to meet certain academic criteria in the AAU rating system. This happened after they had already been accepted into the Big Ten. AAU membership is a very important criteria of the Big Ten. The situation with John Hopkins as an "associate member" is why I mentioned Iowa State (Big 12) as a potential candidate. Iowa State has a very good club team as does Illinois both in the ACHA.

Comment

In the case of Nebraska, they were actually a member of AAU until 2011. They lost their membership for failing to meet certain academic criteria in the AAU rating system. This happened after they had already been accepted into the Big Ten. AAU membership is a very important criteria of the Big Ten. The situation with John Hopkins as an "associate member" is why I mentioned Iowa State (Big 12) as a potential candidate. Iowa State has a very good club team as does Illinois both in the ACHA.
                          Iowa plays in a mall. Doubt they are making the jump anytime soon.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Ah Zach Saar, Minnesota's best player.

Comment

great period so far for mcadam. psu needs to pick up their play and saar has to stop setting fasching up for breakaways...

Comment

psu lucky to get out of that period tied. mcadam best player on the ice so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X