Ohio State @ Minnesota 1/9 - 1/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Minnesota 1/9 - 1/10

Ohio State just split their series with Penn State this past weekend to finish the non-league portion of their schedule. The Bucks went 4-2 in the non-league with just a loss to Penn State and a loss to Boston University. Now it's back to the grind of the WCHA and the second half grind starts with Minnesota on the road. After losing by combined scores of 18-4 (7-2 and 11-2) vs the Gophers at home back in October, it will be a tall task for the Buckeyes to pick up points this weekend. The Buckeyes did get some good news this past weekend as sophomore defenseman Jessica Dunne was able to return to action and scored the GWG in Friday's win. We still have some other players who are dealing with injuries as well as others who were scratched this past weekend for undisclosed reasons. Hopefully we will have some of them back so we will have four lines of forwards. Minnesota fans, we know your team is ranked 3rd in the polls and is having another fabulous season. Feel free to add any thoughts or tell us about some of your new players that are coming of age. Hopefully we have an injury-free weekend for both teams

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Ohio State just split their series with Penn State this past weekend to finish the non-league portion of their schedule. The Bucks went 4-2 in the non-league with just a loss to Penn State and a loss to Boston University. Now it's back to the grind of the WCHA and the second half grind starts with Minnesota on the road. After losing by combined scores of 18-4 (7-2 and 11-2) vs the Gophers at home back in October, it will be a tall task for the Buckeyes to pick up points this weekend. The Buckeyes did get some good news this past weekend as sophomore defenseman Jessica Dunne was able to return to action and scored the GWG in Friday's win. We still have some other players who are dealing with injuries as well as others who were scratched this past weekend for undisclosed reasons. Hopefully we will have some of them back so we will have four lines of forwards. Minnesota fans, we know your team is ranked 3rd in the polls and is having another fabulous season. Feel free to add any thoughts or tell us about some of your new players that are coming of age. Hopefully we have an injury-free weekend for both teams
    Glad to see one Dunne back and looking forward to her sister coming back too (after this weekend ).

Paige Haley is in a neck brace and unavailable. One of the recruits stashed to not play will fill in assuming they can find her skates. I think there were a lot of bumps and bruises before the break and hopefully those are healed up. Other than that I believe everyone is as good as opening weekend.

They play the Whitcaps on Friday and I don't like that but suppose it is to knock the rust off. Given the lineup I hope rust is all that gets knocked off. I was surprised by the margine last time as OSU always brings their A game so I expect a much closer series this time.
    Last edited by ne7minder; 01-04-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Re: Ohio State @ Minnesota 1/9 - 1/10

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Glad to see one Dunne back and looking forward to her sister coming back too (after this weekend ).

Paige Haley is in a neck brace for 6 weeks and unavailable. One of the recruits stashed to not play will fill in assuming they can find her skates...
      ...and the keys to her shackles.

Whitecaps are Wednesday night...I thought.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        ...and the keys to her shackles.

Whitecaps are Wednesday night...I thought.
        Oh crap! It is Wed. That causes me issues.

Comment

Just a note about Sunday's game...the Vikings are hosting their playoff game at TCF starting at noon. So don't plan on parking anywhere close to campus for the hockey game starting at 2.

Comment

Originally posted by play-by-play guy View Post
            Just a note about Sunday's game...the Vikings are hosting their playoff game at TCF starting at noon. So don't plan on parking anywhere close to campus for the hockey game starting at 2.
            Since they are going to lose lets hope it is a blow out & a lot of people leave early otherwise a lot of drunks will be leaving about the same time as we do.

Comment

The U. has put out a parking alert for both Saturday and Sunday at http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...010516aaa.html.

For clarity -- parking lot C-58 is the one across the street (4th Street) from Ridder. And for those not familiar, Lot 37 is the one "behind" (north of) Ridder along 5th Street.
              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

The Gophers take game one by a final score of 3-1 earlier today. Julia McKinnon had Ohio State's only goal. Minnesota goals were scored by Taylor Williamson, Kelly Pannek, and Dani Cameranesi. Cameranesi's goal was her league-leading 19th. Minnesota outshot the Buckeyes 28-19. Amanda Leveille had 18 saves for the Gophers and Alex LaMere stopped 25 shots for Ohio State. The two teams will wrap up their weekend series tomorrow at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Does anyone have a sense for how many minutes a game the Schmitt sisters played last year. Had to be a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Does anyone have a sense for how many minutes a game the Schmitt sisters played last year. Had to be a lot.
                    I don't have last year's stats in front of me, but it did seem like they got a lot of minutes last season.

As for today's game, it was a lot less competitive than yesterday's game with the Gophers winning 9-0. Minnesota goaltenders Amanda Leveille and Sidney Peters combined for the shutout. If the box score is correct, Peters played the second and third periods to get the win for the Gophers. Leveille and Peters combined for 17 saves. Minnesota outshot the Buckeyes 45-17. Buckeye goaltender Alex LaMere had 36 saves for Ohio State. The Gopher goals were scored by Lee Stecklein (2), Kate Schipper (2), Kelly Pannek (2), Dani Cameranesi, Caitlin Reilly, and Sarah Potomak. Ohio State returns home next weekend to face St. Cloud. Minnesota will host Minnesota State.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      I don't have last year's stats in front of me, but it did seem like they got a lot of minutes last season.
                      I know NHL teams keep this stat for each player, but I'm not sure that's done at the college level -- at least with any set of stats that's released publicly. Yes, minutes played is kept for goalies. But that's it, I think. If anyone knows of such a source for forwards and defenders, I'd be glad to learn about it.

Back to the Schmitts. One thing to keep in mind is that they played in separate 'D' pairings for much of their senior year. And because ice time wasn't divided equally between the three pairings, at least one of the sisters was on the ice a very high percentage of the time.

Beyond that, they were often reunited on special teams or in extra attacker situations. Obviously that's in addition to their regular shifts. So their individual totals were undoubtedly substantial as well.

So I don't know; maybe 25 minutes apiece? But that's just an educated guess -- at best.

I don't think we're talking Duncan Keith minutes, but the sisters were truly a major defensive presence.

Comment

As for today's game, it was a lot less competitive than yesterday's game with the Gophers winning 9-0. Minnesota goaltenders Amanda Leveille and Sidney Peters combined for the shutout. If the box score is correct, Peters played the second and third periods to get the win for the Gophers. Leveille and Peters combined for 17 saves. Minnesota outshot the Buckeyes 45-17. Buckeye goaltender Alex LaMere had 36 saves for Ohio State. The Gopher goals were scored by Lee Stecklein (2), Kate Schipper (2), Kelly Pannek (2), Dani Cameranesi, Caitlin Reilly, and Sarah Potomak. Ohio State returns home next weekend to face St. Cloud. Minnesota will host Minnesota State.
                        I don't think OSU played any worse on Sunday, they still did what they needed to do to win. To me the biggest difference was that pucks ended up on Gopher sticks Sunday where they always seemed to find Buckeye ones the day before. MN also seemed to find a higher gear and won more races. Both teams did a lot more bumping too.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          I don't think OSU played any worse on Sunday, they still did what they needed to do to win. To me the biggest difference was that pucks ended up on Gopher sticks Sunday where they always seemed to find Buckeye ones the day before. MN also seemed to find a higher gear and won more races. Both teams did a lot more bumping too.
                          When you lose 9-0, you have not played as well as when you lose 3-1. There was no pressure exerted on the Gophers in the offensive end. Too many odd man rushes and how many break aways do you give up in one game! The aggressive forecheck that was a big part of Saturday's game was non existent on Sunday. The 2nd period started better for the Buckeyes but the 3 quick goals were a killer. Saw a much better Gopher team on Sunday. Their team play was the difference as opposed to a lot of individual play on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            When you lose 9-0, you have not played as well as when you lose 3-1. There was no pressure exerted on the Gophers in the offensive end. Too many odd man rushes and how many break always do you give up in one game! The aggressive forecheck that was a big part of Saturday's game was non existent on Sunday. The 2nd period started better for the Buckeyes but the 3 quick goals were a killer. Saw a much better Gopher team on Sunday. Their team play was the difference as opposed to a lot of individual play on Saturday.
                            On Saturday it was difficult to see a difference between the Little Chippers and the big girls(although I did think Nina Rodgers played well). I hope this game wasn't anybody's first GWH game, they probably will never come back. But that's the nice thing about the 2 game format, players have an opportunity to redeem themselves, Schipper & Reilly in particular really turned it around on Sunday and played very well after an ineffective game the day before.

Comment

Working...
                            X