Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Boston

Suddenly, it's 29 days and counting until the puck drops for the first round of the Tong War known as the Beanpot Tournament. So let the hype begin.

For the benefit of the flatlanders, aliens visiting from galaxies far, far away, and others who just don't get it, I thought it might be appropriate to start this thread off with a heartwarming story that explains just why the Beanpot is a big deal:

A well-dressed and apparently successful gentleman has one of the best seats in the house for opening night of the Beanpot. Another man--a stranger--comes by, notices the seat next to the gentleman is empty and asks if, by any chance, the seat is taken.

"No," the gentleman says. "The seat is open."

"This is incredible," said the stranger. "Who in their right mind would buy a great seat like this for the Beanpot, the biggest sporting event in Boston, and not use it?"

The gentleman says, "Well, actually, I bought the seat. I've had these two for years. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Beanpot we haven't been to together since we met as students back in the day."

"Oh," says the stranger. "I'm so sorry to hear that. But couldn't you find someone else--a relative or friend, or even a neighbor--to come here with you?”

The gentleman shakes his head ruefully and replies, "Nope, they're all at the wake."

And that, boys and girls, is why--win or lose--the Beanpot is always something special.
    Last edited by Split-N; 01-04-2016, 10:36 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Bosto

Thanks for starting the thread,it is #BeanpotHypeMonth,and a wonderful time of year,I am looking for my Huskies to take it this year as Ive seen them victorious in the Garden in 1988,So here i am without the Hockey Mullet that defined me somewhat and waiting as an underdog this time for NU to take it home,anything is possible in Hockey and I hang my hat on that,hoping,wishing,praying that my beloved Huntington Hounds will once again take it home.As David slew Goliath so in the Hockey world I'm looking for a miracle and have the faith that it can happen, #GoNU

Comment

Re: The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Bosto

take your meds NU fans (me as well).. we have zero chance.
      I like Harvard going in.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        take your meds NU fans (me as well).. we have zero chance.
        I like Harvard going in.
        My head says I should agree with you. My heart says differently of course. Ideally, we have an NU-Harvard final. When is the last time that occurred following a BC-bu consolation?

I just looked it up. It seems improbable, but here never has been an NU-Harvard final! That would be a treat - actually a double treat.

Comment

not this again. Jesus. Is this why NU cant get out of it's own way from Oct thru December ? Because you are always looking too far ahead?

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
            not this again. Jesus. Is this why NU cant get out of it's own way from Oct thru December ? Because you are always looking too far ahead?
            That makes sense. If the present is not to your liking, you look to the future.

Rest assured that 99% of the Husky fans in the building will be pulling hard for your Eagles in the consolation game.
            Last edited by HHound; 01-04-2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

This thread, and its predecessors, has been a trail of tears for my people.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Harvard is in a stretch of games consisting of Minnesota, BU, and Quinnipiac.

Love the Beanpot, but can focus on a few weeks from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  This thread, and its predecessors, has been a trail of tears for my people.
                  well said Split N! ,I am with you,I am hopeful for a Beanpot win this year,it can happen in Hockey,thats a fact,and thats what Im going with, I know all the odds,stats etc and I really dont care,I might have to wait 30 years for them to win it again,either way Im not jumping off the bandwagon.Ive grown accustomed to getting beat up,yet as an NU fan I will always hold my head up high regardless of the endless ridicule I will endure as a fan,so go ahead throw some punches.I wont pretend that my team is more successful than yours,but I will stand on my schools integrity and my fellow fans and alums/

Comment

oh hey,

if any of you nu-boys wanna give mookie your tickets for the 2nd monday (since y'all really don't want to waste a trip over for the 4pm game), he'll be most grateful

thanks in advance
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Ive got a ticket for the 2nd round and so psyched,when you cant afford tickets (at all for the season) and one Beanpot ticket come's your way your a really,really Happy Husky! whatever happens,happens I will be Happy! and I cant stinkin wait!!!! #GoNU Ive been out of work for a while now and havent been to Matthews yet so this is the next best thing! and yeah......Its #BEANPOTHYPEMONTH

Comment

How much are Beanpot tickets? Or is it a case if you have to ask, you can't afford it?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          How much are Beanpot tickets? Or is it a case if you have to ask, you can't afford it?
                          For a non-student (like me) about 40-70 with service charges figured in,well worth it,going through Ticketmaster is the way to go,they are the official supplier,no middle man scalpers,hope you can make it!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?t...npot&q=beanpot

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
                            For a non-student (like me) about 40-70 with service charges figured in,well worth it,going through Ticketmaster is the way to go,they are the official supplier,no middle man scalpers,hope you can make it!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?t...npot&q=beanpot
                            Why wouldn't you just go to the Garden ticket office?
                            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                              Why wouldn't you just go to the Garden ticket office?
                              Smart peeps (like Mookie) call the Harvard ticket office

They NEVER sell out their allotment. No up charges.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X