Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Bosto

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    so who wants to give mookie a ticket for next monday?
    I'd offer you my seat in the Harvard section, but you might be offended by the drinking and swearing.

Comment

• Re: The 2016 Beanpot: The Sacred Quest for the Holy Grail of College Hockey in Bosto

Where were all the fans? I was stunned by how empty it was even at the prime time (later first game/early second game)? Couldn't have been 10,000 there at any one time. Sad.
      Tom T.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
        I'd offer you my seat in the Harvard section, but you might be offended by the drinking and swearing.
        not at all. would be my pleasure to sit amongst the harvarders
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
          I'd offer you my seat in the Harvard section, but you might be offended by the drinking of tea and swearing off of our derivatives.
          fyp
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Tmtroiano View Post
            Where were all the fans? I was stunned by how empty it was even at the prime time (later first game/early second game)? Couldn't have been 10,000 there at any one time. Sad.
            I don't have a crystal ball but I'd offer three thoughts:

1) The event has become predictable and far less compelling than it was back in the days when the pot was legitimately up for grabs.
            2) Hockey itself is becoming less compelling with much of the physicality having been taken out of it and goal scoring generally being down.
            3) I get the impression that the current generation of high school and college kids are increasingly indifferent to sports, thanks to FB, Snapchat, Netflix, Xbox, et al.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              I don't have a crystal ball but I'd offer three thoughts:

1) The event has become predictable and far less compelling than it was back in the days when the pot was legitimately up for grabs.
              2) Hockey itself is becoming less compelling with much of the physicality having been taken out of it and goal scoring generally being down.
              3) I get the impression that the current generation of high school and college kids are increasingly indifferent to sports, thanks to FB, Snapchat, Netflix, Xbox, et al.
              4) Also pretty much all students only care to watch the game their team is actually playing. There were about 5 BU students in the BU student section for the BC-Harvard game, the other 10 of us being young alumni (2013/14) and Northeastern student section also only had about 10 guys. Northeastern was a bit disappointing to be honest. They had 2-3 sections when last year they had about 9.

it's also good to note that students are caring less and less for their college sports as student bodies evolve. All four schools have having less local (MA, New England) students and more national and international students, thinning out those students who are already hockey fans before getting to the schools - why Harvard hasn't had a real student section, even at Bright.

Plus they're on NESN, and we all know you don't have to have cable to stream the games - just a laptop and wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                Actually it was about 11,700. Next week should be better with a BU / BC game but there is no doubt that the Beanpot has lost its sizzle.
                14,832 per Hockeyeastonline.com but agree, its lost a little of its luster mostly because H and NU cant win it

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                  4) Also pretty much all students only care to watch the game their team is actually playing. There were about 5 BU students in the BU student section for the BC-Harvard game, the other 10 of us being young alumni (2013/14) and Northeastern student section also only had about 10 guys. Northeastern was a bit disappointing to be honest. They had 2-3 sections when last year they had about 9.

it's also good to note that students are caring less and less for their college sports as student bodies evolve. All four schools have having less local (MA, New England) students and more national and international students, thinning out those students who are already hockey fans before getting to the schools - why Harvard hasn't had a real student section, even at Bright...
                  Points well taken. The increasing percentages of foreign students certainly plays into the calculus, considering the concept of competitive college sports is pretty much unknown outside of North America. The point about students wanting to stay only for "their" game is cultural/generational, and a sea change from days when most people really wanted to see both games. I'd guess FB/Snapchat/Netflix/Xbox/streaming doesn't leave time for watching both games.

Not surprised at the shrunken NU student section. It's hard to sustain enthusiasm given the records their team has compiled over the last few years.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

it's also good to note that students are caring less and less for their college sports as student bodies evolve. All four schools have having less local (MA, New England) students and more national and international students, thinning out those students who are already hockey fans before getting to the schools - why Harvard hasn't had a real student section, even at Bright.

There is a lot of truth in that. I can recall, not that long ago, when the student section at Harvard was filled with the "Crimson Crazies" who wore Harvard jerseys or wore no shirts with letters (H..A..R..V....) painted on their bare chests (abdomens in the case of young Harvard women wearing sports bras) . They actually cheered for Harvard. In addition in case of Harvard, the athletic department seems to be de-emphasizing hockey in order to support basketball. The Harvard Band used to be a fixture at Harvard hockey games but the last few years they have not been there as their presence was required at basketball. I think the real Harvard Band made it to one men's game this year. On some occasions they do have a faux Harvard band consisting of some high school band wearing Harvard jerseys but with no knowledge of any Harvard songs. Probably of no interest to hon-Harvard people but disappointing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      14,832 per Hockeyeastonline.com but agree, its lost a little of its luster mostly because H and NU cant win it
                      Interesting. USCHO Box Score has it at 11,792. http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...on-university/

Hockey East Online must have been using the Agganis Arena method for figuring attendance.

Comment

College Hockey News has 14,832. ~3k short of capacity. Obviously thousands left before the second game and thousands didn't enter until before the second game.

Comment

I look at the other sports.. 800lb gorilla in the room is shouting out..

Hockey needs diversity. Bottom up (easier to accomplish) and top down (not as easy to do). Gotta make it sustainable in this competitive climate.
                          Period.

(oh.. & NU needs a legit HC..)
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                            College Hockey News has 14,832. ~3k short of capacity. Obviously thousands left before the second game and thousands didn't enter until before the second game.
                            Accounting for who was there for both games combined, this number seems right. Absolutely none of the BC fans in the balcony stayed for the second game. And they did have a sizable contingent.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

It's also good to note that students are caring less and less for their college sports as student bodies evolve. All four schools have having less local (MA, New England) students and more national and international students, thinning out those students who are already hockey fans before getting to the schools - why Harvard hasn't had a real student section, even at Bright.
                              Absolutely true. Of course, I just have to point out that when I brought up that same exact point last year, I was eviscerated. Someone a couple of years ago actually posted a link to some website in Indonesia where they played hockey. The point is well taken...there just aren't as many people interested in hockey since a larger percentage come from areas where it isn't (OK - so I can't say "played") "front and center." Yes, you can build pipes under cement, pump in freon and make a rink. Doesn't mean that's going to make the game "popular" like it is in places where you can just go outside in the winter, walk down to your local pond and play.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                                I look at the other sports.. 800lb gorilla in the room is shouting out..

Hockey needs diversity. Bottom up (easier to accomplish) and top down (not as easy to do). Gotta make it sustainable in this competitive climate.
                                Period.

(oh.. & NU needs a legit HC..)
                                Diversity in what way?
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X